Jun 28, 2010
But but but this can't be true!!!

TAXES

GUBMINT

TAXES

GUBMINT

OMG

Albertans support carbon tax and are willing to pay it: survey

EDMONTON - Half of Albertans who participated in a new survey supported a carbon tax and were willing to pay it.

The poll, released Wednesday, found that number held even if the tax were applied to individuals as well as companies.

"It doesn't surprise me," said Simon Dyer of the Pembina Institute, a clean energy think-tank that commissioned the poll from Ekos Research.

"There's always a strong constituency around responsible development and addressing greenhouse gas pollution and it seems to be getting stronger."

The survey found support for a carbon tax was about even throughout the province at 52 per cent in Edmonton and 56 per cent in Calgary. Support fell to 38 per cent in the rural south.

Percentages went even higher if the money collected were to go to a specific purpose. About three-quarters of respondents said they would approve a carbon tax if it were used to fund technology to help the energy sector reduce emissions. Two-thirds said the tax would be OK if the money were used for public transit and energy-efficient buildings.

About half linked their approval to lowering income taxes, as British Columbia did with its carbon tax.

The survey of 1,800 Albertans in late August and early September found 53 per cent support for tougher climate change policies, even if they increased costs for industry. About the same percentage agreed Alberta's targets should align with those required to keep global warming under 2 C.

Two-thirds suggested the government's priority should be on diversifying the economy, rather than making business easier for oil and gas companies.

Still, most want the oilsands to survive. Nearly three-quarters said the industry should remain at its current size or grow larger.

The survey comes as Alberta's NDP government prepares its overall plan for climate change. An expert panel is expected to deliver recommendations in November in advance of a major international summit in Paris.

Albertans may be slightly less supportive of climate change policy than other Canadians, but the Ekos results are broadly in line with similar surveys done elsewhere, said pollster Frank Graves.

"It's just a matter of degree. They're not qualitatively different," he said.

"Things like acceptance of climate change, support for carbon pricing, there's a surprising level of receptivity in Alberta. But it is lower than in other parts of the country."

Graves said Saskatchewan tends to show similar results to Alberta.

One response to the survey suggested Albertans don't believe comments by Prime Minister Stephen Harper that the province's current economic troubles are the result of its NDP government, said Graves. Two-thirds of respondents blamed those problems on a long-term failure of economic diversification, rather than on the new government's policies.

"There are not a lot of people buying Mr. Harper's idea."

The survey also suggested Albertans were still giving Premier Rachel Notley and her colleagues the benefit of the doubt. Asked if the province was headed in the right direction on climate change, respondents were almost evenly split between yes, no, and don't know.

Ekos says the survey is considered accurate to within 2.3 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

— Follow Bob Weber on Twitter at @row1960

The Canadian Press

Albertans support carbon tax and are willing to pay it: survey | National Newswatch

Explain.

Last edited:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It's quite simple really. The conservatives on this site are either old, are stupid or are old and stupid. Their ideas just aren't selling anymore. If the best you have to offer is to feminize the names of political rivals or say they act like "raging homos", you're clearly out of touch. From my standpoint, albertans tend to be fiscally conservative and socially liberal just like me. That's why I and they, wholeheartedly supported Ralph. Ralph would have laughed at the so called conservatives on this site. In a nut shell, the numbers don't really surprise me even though the poll was commissioned by the environmental lobby

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The sad part is that they always look foolish as the world changes for the better and they stubbornly cling to the past.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Nor who they surveyed.

Seeing how this is the Pembina Institute, chances are they conducted the poll among their own employees and a contact list from Green Peace

I'm an Albertan and the numbers don't surprise me in the least. We did, after all, just elect a Dipper government so why would the numbers be all that surprising.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I don't suppose anyone found the actual poll results at the Ekos website?
I can't find it under either "Alberta" or "Environment".
I also did a search for the terms "Alberta" and "Carbon Tax". That produced nothing relevant either.