Tom Mulcair to announce national plan to limit greenhouse gases

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Finally something important to talk about.

NDP Leader Tom Mulcair today will flesh out his plans to create a national system to limit greenhouse gas emissions, CBC News has learned.

Mulcair will make the announcement at a town hall meeting in Toronto.

The NDP has already promised, during campaigning for the Oct. 19 federal election, that it will establish a national cap and trade system to make big polluters reduce their greenhouse gas emissions.

But the detailed plan will show that an NDP government won't impose that national plan on provinces like Alberta, B.C., Ontario and Quebec that have developed their own systems to control emissions.

Instead, it will allow the provinces and territories to opt out as long as their carbon pricing plans are equal to or better than the federal objectives.

The NDP has faced a lot of questions about how it would impose a national cap and trade system on provinces that have already spent money and time developing their own plans in the last 10 years.

Quebec has an operating cap and trade system. Ontario is in the process of developing a similar one. B.C. has a carbon tax, and Alberta has just introduced a new rules to double its levy on carbon and make the oilsands industry cut the emissions intensity of each barrel of oil.

The Conservatives have taken a sector by sector approach, but have faced criticism for their lack of national regulations to control the country's largest source of emissions — the oil and gas industry.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/ndp-climate-change-1.3245598

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

NDP Leader Tom Mulcair today will flesh out his plans to create a national system to limit greenhouse gas emissions, CBC News has learned.

Mulcair will make the announcement at a town hall meeting in Toronto.

The NDP has already promised, during campaigning for the Oct. 19 federal election, that it will establish a national cap and trade system to make big polluters reduce their greenhouse gas emissions.

But the detailed plan will show that an NDP government won't impose that national plan on provinces like Alberta, B.C., Ontario and Quebec that have developed their own systems to control emissions.

Instead, it will allow the provinces and territories to opt out as long as their carbon pricing plans are equal to or better than the federal objectives.

The NDP has faced a lot of questions about how it would impose a national cap and trade system on provinces that have already spent money and time developing their own plans in the last 10 years.

Quebec has an operating cap and trade system. Ontario is in the process of developing a similar one. B.C. has a carbon tax, and Alberta has just introduced a new rules to double its levy on carbon and make the oilsands industry cut the emissions intensity of each barrel of oil.

The Conservatives have taken a sector by sector approach, but have faced criticism for their lack of national regulations to control the country's largest source of emissions — the oil and gas industry.

It looks like Mulcair is playing Stephan Dion's game . How did that work out ?

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I'm already driving a car as a daily commuter and only the family truck when hard work is required. I have converted my lights to CFL and LEDs. And my furnace has a programable thermostat that lowers the temperature of my house when I'm not present. This list goes on...

My point is: I've already made most reasonable reductions. The only ones left will require money. Excuse me, if I get pissed off or defensive every time a politician talks about limiting greenhouse gases, because I'm doing a pretty reasonable job at it already.

Dear Mr. Mulcair, please demonize me and tax the hell out my energy consumption because you apparently don't understand how many adjustments the average canadian has already made.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Thankfully Mr. Mulehair won't be getting a chance to try out any of his elaborate and wasteful plans (wasting money he don't have) ! He's a Quebec man and should stay there, along with some more of his Dipper friends! :)