Stephen Harper waging phony jihad on the niqab

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Stephen Harper waging phony jihad on the niqab

The prime minister of Canada has spent $250,000 preventing a law-abiding immigrant from becoming a Canadian. Stephen Harper is going to spend more, as he challenges two separate court rulings that it is “unlawful” to force Zunera Ishaq of Toronto to take off her niqab for the citizenship ceremony.

This is not a scandalous waste of tax dollars. It is money well spent. It has helped lift the veil on state-sponsored bigotry, the like of which we have not seen in contemporary Canada.

The niqab is to Harperites what abortion is to right-wing Republicans — a flag to rally followers and get them all riled up to go and vote, while keeping them distracted from what matters, such as the economy.

The Harperites are waging a phony jihad on the niqab, considering what the Prime Minister’s Office said in 2009 about it:

“In an open and democratic society like Canada, individuals are free to make their own decisions regarding their personal apparel and to adhere to their own customs or traditions of their faith or beliefs.”

That was well before the Harper gang discovered that bullying a Muslim woman is red meat for its braying base — just as the separatist Parti Québécois found Muslim-baiting useful to fire up its pure laine constituency. Conservative supporters in English Canada hold more negative views about Muslims and Islam than the supporters of other parties, according to an

Angus Reid poll, while in Quebec, anti-Muslim views are predominant among the separatists, according to a Forum poll.

As for the rest of us, we are being had, sucked into a non-issue that is dividing Canadians and sapping our social harmony.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/opin...waging-phony-jihad-on-the-niqab-siddiqui.html

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
Muslim nations with secular governments have put restrictions on it because they know that the niqab is a symbol to show that Islamic Shariah will dominate. Demanding that face veil be worn at the swearing in ceremony is stealth jihad, or passive-aggressive jihad. Harper is saying no to Shariah, so good on him.

pouchy

Sep 24, 2015
Most Canadians aren't terribly fond of it, the country is supposed to reflect our beliefs, the country doesn't exist to tell us how to live, no matter what the liberals or the CBC think about that. I personally don't care a great deal, butin a perfect world we wouldn't simply pretend that this face covering is a 'choice', it's a choice only for women who have been raised to belief that it isn't a choice so long as they want to practice their religion. The fact that it comes from a culture of horrible misogyny seems lost on some, or when they are playing politics with the issue, they just don't care that it is a result of oppression.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
If a PM puts Israel and his religious zelot base before the country he is elected to lead as Harper appears to,
it natuarally follows he must demonstrate this to his money bags, and vote fixers
hopefully without alienating the opposite vote too..

you don't need a microscope to see a Hajib like you do the Canadian dollar

as was pointed out upthread:
there is a Selection on the threshold...

and the mounties with turbans are explained how?

"In a research study done in Quebec, political scientists Brenda O'Neill, Elisabeth Gidengil, Catherine Côté and Lisa Young found that a majority of women do view the niqab as a symbol of oppression for women. But many of these same women believe that freedom of religion means that women have a right to wear the head covering...

... In the case of the RCMP, there was opposition to changing the RCMP uniform to incorporate the Sikh turban. At that time, the Reform Party policy chief called it a needless concession to a Canadian minority. That policy chief's name? Stephen Harper. We now have Sikh turbans in the RCMP "
Harper's hypocrisy and the niqab - Winnipeg Free Press

the country the PM puts above his own hates Muslims so I have to hate Muslims in the country famous for tolerance and freedom?
pppffft!!!

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Harper's so-called war on the kneecab is reaping positive results fer the Cons, just check out the latest polls.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
If a PM puts Israel and his religious zelot base before the country he is elected to lead as Harper appears to,
it natuarally follows he must demonstrate this to his money bags, and vote fixers
hopefully without alienating the opposite vote too..

why don't you explain this one a little more fully so no one jumps to any conclusions.

and the mounties with turbans are explained how?

You don't know the difference? Really? Yet here you are commenting on this thread

"In a research study done in Quebec, political scientists Brenda O'Neill, Elisabeth Gidengil, Catherine Côté and Lisa Young found that a majority of women do view the niqab as a symbol of oppression for women. But many of these same women believe that freedom of religion means that women have a right to wear the head covering...

Prime example of the ignorance and misinformation concerning the hijab.

... In the case of the RCMP, there was opposition to changing the RCMP uniform to incorporate the Sikh turban. At that time, the Reform Party policy chief called it a needless concession to a Canadian minority. That policy chief's name? Stephen Harper. We now have Sikh turbans in the RCMP "
Harper's hypocrisy and the niqab - Winnipeg Free Press

More examples of ignorance.

the country the PM puts above his own hates Muslims so I have to hate Muslims in the country famous for tolerance and freedom?
pppffft!!!

and what country would that be? Like I said at the beginning of this post, how about you explain yourself fully so that no one jumps to any conclusions.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
you are asking me to be more clear?
how about you read more closely?

I aint sayin it twice just for you
read it again
you seem to have the between the lines bit down pat

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I don't think a piece of clothing has gotten this much press since maybe the bikini. When is Harpler going to do something about the potholes? Snow removal equipment? How about some jobs. The front in Syria will help with unemploment perhaps. Where is the eastern pipeline? He's spending time dressing women for **** sake!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
you are asking me to be more clear?
how about you read more closely?

I aint sayin it twice just for you
read it again
you seem to have the between the lines bit down pat

Ok then, we have another jew hater in the crowd.

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
and what country would that be? Like I said at the beginning of this post, how about you explain yourself fully so that no one jumps to any conclusions.
I believe that he means Israel, which is the most ironic statement ever found on these forums because it is not Israel that hates her enemies, but the other way around. Everyone knows this, including the billionaire wardogs leaders of Hamas that live in luxury far in Qatar, but someone the typical apologists cannot believe it. I mean, just think about it, if Israel wanted to destroy her enemies, she could have nuked them years ago.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I believe that he means Israel, which is the most ironic statement ever found on these forums because it is not Israel that hates her enemies, but the other way around. Everyone knows this, including the billionaire wardogs leaders of Hamas that live in luxury far in Qatar, but someone the typical apologists cannot believe it. I mean, just think about it, if Israel wanted to destroy her enemies, she could have nuked them years ago.

I knew exactly who he meant. I just wanted him to make it crystal clear so he didn't have an out.