Budget watchdog praises Mulcair while Harper tried to kill PBO

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
How much more convincing do conbots need? Lol

The PBO, created in 2006 under the Federal Accountability Act, had become a thorn in the government’s side after it released several reports that contradicted what the Conservatives were telling Canadians about some big-ticket issues, such as the true cost of the war in Afghanistan, budget deficit projections and the seriousness of the 2008 recession.

In reaction to the reports, the government attempted to starve the PBO of the resources it needed to do its job by cutting the office’s budget.

“I found myself in front of a parliamentary standing committee fighting for the survival of the office,” Page recalled.

“Mr. Mulcair, (who) was not even a member of the committee, went to the meeting and fought to have the budget reinstated,” he said.

When the committee’s final report recommended that all of the PBO’s reports be made confidential, Page had had enough. He was ready to resign, he said.

“Mr. Mulcair phoned me and told me not to quit,” Page said, adding that Mulcair’s reassurances convinced him that Canada’s institutions are far bigger than any one person, and that it’s important to hold to your principles.

Former budget watchdog praises Mulcair: ‘I wouldn’t be here today’ without him - The Globe and Mail

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Black ops and allied costs never make the books. The vast majority of 08 recession bail out loot went to worst case Ontario.

F-ck man, you people are Canada's albatross.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I am shocked; yet another brand new thread on how evil Cons and Harpy are. This makes the 483,729th one, right?

If I were mod, I'd round em all up and stick them in one thread. Because it's pretty obvious, Flossy hasn't the knowhow to do that himself. Or the courtesy either, for that matter.