Mulcair promises better care for Canada's 'disrespected' military veterans

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Old stock veterans?

HALIFAX -- Canada's "disrespected" military veterans would see more federal health-care support under an NDP government, including funding to help them deal with post-traumatic stress disorder, party leader Tom Mulcair announced Monday.

Mulcair said $454 million over four years would be spent to provide treatment for veterans suffering from the effects of PTSD. The money would also be used to improve long-term care services and the Veterans Independence Program, which provides housekeeping and other support to elderly and disabled former military personnel.

"I will ensure our government honours the sacrifices of our veterans and provides the services and benefits they've earned," Mulcair said at a legion hall in Halifax, a city with deep military roots.

While many of the veterans gathered at the hall applauded the announcement, some were skeptical, saying they'd like to see further details before passing judgment on the plan.

...more..

Mulcair promises better care for Canada's 'disrespected' military veterans | CTV News

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Old stock veterans?

HALIFAX -- Canada's "disrespected" military veterans would see more federal health-care support under an NDP government, including funding to help them deal with post-traumatic stress disorder, party leader Tom Mulcair announced Monday.

Mulcair said $454 million over four years would be spent to provide treatment for veterans suffering from the effects of PTSD. The money would also be used to improve long-term care services and the Veterans Independence Program, which provides housekeeping and other support to elderly and disabled former military personnel.

"I will ensure our government honours the sacrifices of our veterans and provides the services and benefits they've earned," Mulcair said at a legion hall in Halifax, a city with deep military roots.

While many of the veterans gathered at the hall applauded the announcement, some were skeptical, saying they'd like to see further details before passing judgment on the plan.

...more..

Mulcair promises better care for Canada's 'disrespected' military veterans | CTV News

Yeah, politicians' promises are definitely bankable. I vaguely recall something ..........

Oh I remember now, ""Screw the Red Book... Don't tell me what's in the Red Book. I wrote the goddamned thing. And I know that it's a lot of crap." Paul Martin

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
is this a promise from the former liberal, almost conservative, NDP guy that considers himself half from France?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
No it's the one from a former conservative almost libertarian who considers himself half English.

Now THAT'S egregious (and nefarious).