Harper 'playing a very divisive game' with niqabs, Mulcair says

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Get in there ye ol stockers!

Stephen Harper is "playing a very divisive game" with his government's effort to impose a ban on niqabs during the citizenship oath, NDP Leader Tom Mulcair said Monday, just days before a French-language debate in Quebec — a province in which identity politics continues to drive a wedge between voters.

"I'm not about the politics of fear and division. Mr. Harper is going to always go after that. If he senses that there's something there that can divide Canadians one against the other, he'll do it," said Mulcair during a morning campaign stop in Nova Scotia.

The comments came after a reporter asked how Mulcair felt about Muslim women who want to wear a niqab or another type of face covering while taking the oath of citizenship.

"Well, the courts take care of that ... They're there to defend your rights, including freedom of religion," Mulcair said in response, adding that "the courts have spoken in this case."

Last week, an appeals court upheld a lower court's previous decision to strike down a ban on wearing niqabs at citizenship ceremonies. The federal government has since said it will seek a stay on the court's decision until it can take the issue to the Supreme Court of Canada.

Despite the ruling, face veils at citizenship ceremonies continues to be an issue on the campaign trail, posing a dilemma for Mulcair in his home province of Quebec, where polls suggest a considerable number of voters tend to agree with the Tories.

..more Harper pwnage...

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/canada-election-2015-niqab-bloc-1.3236837

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Get in there ye ol stockers!

Stephen Harper is "playing a very divisive game" with his government's effort to impose a ban on niqabs during the citizenship oath, NDP Leader Tom Mulcair said Monday, just days before a French-language debate in Quebec — a province in which identity politics continues to drive a wedge between voters.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/canada-election-2015-niqab-bloc-1.3236837

I'm beginning to think Mulehair is about as credible as you are! :) :) :)

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
7.3:1 in favour of Harper on this isn't a divide. It's democracy being upheld.

Yes, I am well aware that most people aren't educated on this issue and that's why Harper has already spent more than $300,000 of their money to keep it that way.

I understand that there is a distinct preference for a ban on niquabs in Que.... Looks like comrade Tommy has begun the self-implode cycle.

Nice

Proof of his support going down over there?

Oh wait, why would I bother asking you for proof lol

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Yes, I am well aware that most people aren't educated on this issue and that's why Harper has already spent more than $300,000 of their money to keep it that way.
And you ARE educated on the issue? Now that's a laugh. You still think it's not misogynistic to force women to cover their face in public. The fact you think they have an actual choice as to whether they want to wear it or not is a prime example of you not being educated on this issue in the least.
When you support the rights of stone-age cultural practices over the rights of women to be free from oppression... well hey, at least groups like ISIS and Christian fundamental whackjobs in the US think the same way as you. So that's something to be proud of, I guess.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
You guys just can't accept that this is really not a big deal.

Keep that gravy train going.

CHOOOO CHOOOOOOO

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
About face I am.

Harper has promised, if he is re-elected, to pass the niqab ban into law. If he wanted to pre-emptively bulletproof such a law from an all-but-certain charter challenge, he could use the notwithstanding clause of the Constitution.

It allows governments to shelter a law from the dispositions of the charter for a renewable period of five years. Over its 30-plus years of existence, it has never been used at the federal level. Some Conservative strategists have been shopping for an issue consensual enough to allow their government to break what has become a political taboo.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news...an-could-be-thin-edge-of-the-wedge-hbert.html