The Official Quit Picking on Stephen Harper Thread

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
On the news tonight I heard them report that they "found" money enough for a 1.9 billion surplus. I guess the conservatives tightened their belts enough (cut the money out of programs that are needed). It happened at a very fortuitous time. A funny story. My NDP candidate came to the door. I asked him how his party was going to pay for $15/day childcare. He said paying $15/hr for 6 kids. Didn't say where they would be house. To me it is amazing how this 1.9 billion is going to be spent so many times over. Kind of like a kid dreaming about over spending his allowance.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
On the news tonight I heard them report that they "found" money enough for a 1.9 billion surplus. I guess the conservatives tightened their belts enough (cut the money out of programs that are needed). It happened at a very fortuitous time. A funny story. My NDP candidate came to the door. I asked him how his party was going to pay for $15/day childcare. He said paying $15/hr for 6 kids. Didn't say where they would be house. To me it is amazing how this 1.9 billion is going to be spent so many times over. Kind of like a kid dreaming about over spending his allowance.

The N.D.P. is by far the best political party..................................................................until someone else's money runs out! (You may not have been on here the last time I said that) :)

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Somehow, I really don't trust these fellows in government, right now. They've done nothing to impress upon me they in any way understand taxation. Or even representation. They don't understand governing, whatsoever, to be honest.

A $1.9 billion surplus when they'd forecast a $2 billion deficit? Seems shady. Something stinks of a lie.

The most likely reason is the government is excluding something from the budget.

Some thing or things totaling $3 billion in spending, not being accounted for by this Conservative government. It'd be nice if we had a budget officer who'd have already looked into the numbers to announce whether the government was being honest or not.

The Military, Veterans Affairs, the CBC, Air Canada, the NFB, healthcare, Canada Pension Plan, ect, and ect.

Somebody, the press and opposition parties, needs to look into these numbers, and do it quick, because they stink of fudge.

Thankfully and surprisingly the Ottawa Citizen has.......

Lee Berthiaume reports (link is external) on the $8.7 billion budgeted but unspent by the federal government over the past year. And if the Cons want to try to claim credit for the government's fiscal position, then surely they have to answer a couple of key questions for the money that went unspent:

What caused them to decide between 2014 and 2015 that the funding they themselves included in the budget shouldn't be used? And if they're on such an unsound fiscal footing that they feel the need to slash this much within a year of passing their preferred funding amounts in a majority Parliament, why would anybody take their platform numbers and promises seriously?

While the Conservatives have portrayed lapses as proof of economic prudence, critics say they amount to cuts by stealth. They say this is how the government can take money from Veterans Affairs, National Defence and other departments without actually cutting budgets.

Canadians won’t know exactly which departments or programs were affected until after the election, when the government publishes its annual detailed accounts. But figures produced by the Parliamentary Budget Office over the weekend provide an idea of where some of the money came from.

more

Federal departments left $8.7 billion unspent last year | Ottawa Citizen

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Somehow, I really don't trust these fellows in government, right now. They've done nothing to impress upon me they in any way understand taxation. Or even representation. They don't understand governing, whatsoever, to be honest.
I suppose when the (your party here) get in, you'll become trusting to the point of gullibility, and post ferocious defenses of everything they do, no?

A $1.9 billion surplus when they'd forecast a $2 billion deficit? Seems shady. Something stinks of a lie.
Is there any non-wackaloon, independent source calling it into question?

The most likely reason is the government is excluding something from the budget.

Some thing or things totaling $3 billion in spending, not being accounted for by this Conservative government. It'd be nice if we had a budget officer who'd have already looked into the numbers to announce whether the government was being honest or not.
I hope you're not in charge. a $2bn deficit to a $1.9bn surplus rounds to a $4bn difference, not $3bn.

The Military, Veterans Affairs, the CBC, Air Canada, the NFB, healthcare, Canada Pension Plan, ect, and ect.

Somebody, the press and opposition parties, needs to look into these numbers, and do it quick, because they stink of fudge.

Thankfully and surprisingly the Ottawa Citizen has.......

Lee Berthiaume reports (link is external) on the $8.7 billion budgeted but unspent by the federal government over the past year. And if the Cons want to try to claim credit for the government's fiscal position, then surely they have to answer a couple of key questions for the money that went unspent:

What caused them to decide between 2014 and 2015 that the funding they themselves included in the budget shouldn't be used? And if they're on such an unsound fiscal footing that they feel the need to slash this much within a year of passing their preferred funding amounts in a majority Parliament, why would anybody take their platform numbers and promises seriously?

While the Conservatives have portrayed lapses as proof of economic prudence, critics say they amount to cuts by stealth. They say this is how the government can take money from Veterans Affairs, National Defence and other departments without actually cutting budgets.

Canadians won’t know exactly which departments or programs were affected until after the election, when the government publishes its annual detailed accounts. But figures produced by the Parliamentary Budget Office over the weekend provide an idea of where some of the money came from.

more

Federal departments left $8.7 billion unspent last year | Ottawa Citizen
So, is it fair to say that NDP and Liberal supporters oppose surpluses?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
No one opposes a surplus in principle, but it should be achieved through economic growth not slashing services. The fact that this surplus is less than 0.1% of our GDP just shows it's nothing to celebrate and is nothing to do with 'economics'.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
No one opposes a surplus in principle,
Unless a Conservative government is in power.

but it should be achieved through economic growth not slashing services.
So, what's your desideratum? Specifically, what "services" should be provided to all by the government, and what should be the level of taxation?

The fact that this surplus is less than 0.1% of our GDP just shows it's nothing to celebrate and is nothing to do with 'economics'.
Admit it, if the country was in a one-penny deficit, you'd be screaming from the housetops that Harper has DOOOOOOOMED Canada.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It is called watching the pennies. To make this little difference all they would have to do is stop the multitudes of ministries from spending their mad money in the spring.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No one opposes a surplus in principle, but it should be achieved through economic growth not slashing services. The fact that this surplus is less than 0.1% of our GDP just shows it's nothing to celebrate and is nothing to do with 'economics'.

I disagree, services are good in good times, when the economy is down we should be doing more for ourselves and depending less on services. During tough times we should be laying off bureaucraps, not hiring more.

Mentalfloss would lick the sweat of TJ's balls if he could.

Just refer to him as Jr. everyone understands that! :)

We are probably one of the over serviced countries in the world.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The Nobel Prize for Economics.. was NOT one of the original categories specified by Alfred Nobel, and is not now an 'official' award. The Nobel Committee was payed for the use of the name. It was conceived and bankrolled by a Swedish bank, in order to promote Global Free Market Economic theory and first awarded in 1969.

Free Trade and monetarism, deregulation and privatization has brought on an era of vast polarization of wealth, death of the Middle Class (of home ownership, access to affordable higher education, to secure employment and pensions), deindustrialization, rampant speculation, indebtedness, market turmoil and corruption through out the West.. which is in imminent and seemingly irreversable economic decline.

So for Harper's creative and deceptive bookkeeping, for his tireless and pathetic grovelling before the Global Financial and Trading oligarchies, for his abandonment of Canada's economic integrity and future.. maybe he does deserve the 'award'. Given to quislings and obfuscants.. for disguising the dire straits in which his policies have placed us.

Sit stephen, roll over, wag.. here's your bone.. wuff.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

This must make you a very salty Moonbat.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The Nobel Prize for Economics.. was NOT one of the original categories specified by Alfred Nobel, and is not now an 'official' award. The Nobel Committee was payed for the use of the name. It was conceived and bankrolled by a Swedish bank, in order to promote Global Free Market Economic theory and first awarded in 1969.

Free Trade and monetarism, deregulation and privatization has brought on an era of vast polarization of wealth, death of the Middle Class (of home ownership, access to affordable higher education, to secure employment and pensions), deindustrialization, rampant speculation, indebtedness, and corruption through out the West.. which is in imminent and seemingly irreversable economic decline.

So for Harper's creative and deceptive bookkeeping, for his tireless and pathetic grovelling before the Global Financial and Trading oligarchies, for his abandonment of Canada's economic integrity and future.. maybe he does deserve the 'award'. Given to quislings and obfuscants.. for disguising the dire straits in which his policies have placed us. Harper should have the award as a mark of his treachery.

Sit stephen, roll over, wag.. here's your bone.. wuff.

What seems to prevent people from connecting the continuous warfare conducted on the already free world to make it bend to the conspirators will of instituting this Global Free Market Economic monolith is that one word "free". Oh how that word has been pounded into us very far past the point of it's neutral meaning. It's proponents lust after the freedom to rape pillage and burn and nothing else but that. The exceeding few will be free the rest will be in permanent bondage. He should have the award, as a mark of his treachery.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC