Ottawa posts $1.9B surplus for fiscal 2014-2015

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa posts $1.9B surplus for fiscal 2014-2015

The federal government posted a surplus of $1.9 billion for the 2014-2015 fiscal year, according to final numbers from Ottawa released today.

The Department of Finance said the figure is a reversal of a $5.2 billion-deficit posted for the previous fiscal year.

In its recent budget, Ottawa was forecasting a deficit of $2 billion for 2014-2015. The surplus brings an end to a six-year streak of deficits, which began in the fiscal year that ended in April 2009.

The excess financial wiggle room inched Canada's debt-to-gross domestic product ratio down to 31 per cent for the year, from 32.3 per cent the year before.

But that figure doesn't include debts owed by various local, provincial and territorial governments across Canada. Including those figures, Canada's debt-to-GDP ratio rises to 40.4 per cent, which is still the lowest among G7 nations.

According the OECD, the average debt-to-GDP ratio for all G7 countries, when all forms of government debt are included, will be 86.8 per cent for the 2014-2015 fiscal period.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/business/fiscal-year-ottawa-surplus-1.3226969

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Who holds those mortages? Private banks! The Antichrist. hahahahahahahaha Your children and grandchildren are or will be born into slavery. How many here are still trying to pay down thier student loans? What have you learned from the futile exercise? Who owns your time? The future is not ours to see. hahahahahaha more wine

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I'll give credit to them for FINALLY balancing the budget, but the problem is that this is a pretty paltry surplus and it's based mostly on cutting costs and not economic growth.

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
Surprise surprise surprise.

The people of Canada are smart enough not to fall for your con game Harpo.

This reminds me a lot of his partner in crime in British Columbia. Gordo Campbell. After the election it magically all disappeared

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Selling off those GM shares certainly helped as did tax revenue.

There's much to be said on how much they sacrificed just to get it balanced and it's obvious that the timing of this announcement was made for the election period.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Surprise surprise surprise.

The people of Canada are smart enough not to fall for your con game Harpo.

This reminds me a lot of his partner in crime in British Columbia. Gordo Campbell. After the election it magically all disappeared
So whose con game have you fallen for? Justine's or the Dippers?

I'll give credit to them for FINALLY balancing the budget, but the problem is that this is a pretty paltry surplus and it's based mostly on cutting costs and not economic growth.

Selling off those GM shares certainly helped as did tax revenue.

There's much to be said on how much they sacrificed just to get it balanced and it's obvious that the timing of this announcement was made for the election period.

So above you complain:
1. It's not a big enough surplus
2. They made too many sacrifices.

Gotta love your "logic".

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Jesus H Christ you people are wonky. The world was collapsing with a 0.3% over run now the world is collapsing under unknown circumstances.

Take 5000IU of vitamin D and cheer the f-ck up.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
What services? List them.

They taught logic at Absorbine Jr High?
hahahaha

I'll believe it when I see it ... and what was manipulated to make the books "balance"
I'll believe it when I see it, too. And I might even like it but that depends on whether Harpy pulled the rugs out from under the provinces, seniors, students, and stole money from EI to do it like Martin did.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Why is it a surprise? It's impossible to know what CRA pulled in until now. Budget was April 21, taxes are due April 30.

Logic!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Here's your loonie Wally, don't spend it all in one place.