Woman fighting Niqab ban at citizenship ceremonies gets support in Ontario

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Woman fighting ban on face-covering at citizenship ceremonies gets support from Ontario

The Ontario government is standing alongside a Mississauga, Ont., woman who is challenging the federal government's ban on face-coverings at citizenship ceremonies.

It has filed its position, called a factum, with the Federal Court of Appeal in advance of a hearing scheduled to begin next week in Ottawa.

The province argues that requiring a Muslim woman to remove her niqab during the public oath-taking ceremony "with the result that if she does not she cannot become a Canadian citizen, fails to respect and accommodate the diversity of religious beliefs and socio-cultural backgrounds of Canadians."

..more...

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/w...eremonies-gets-support-from-ontario-1.3223599

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
You go Kathy. Show the world you don't care about the misogynistic treatment of women from other cultures. Did you hear that Ontario? It's inclusive and accommodating to allow the abuse of women who belong to stone age cultures.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Because despite the fact people state that its a "religious" consideration is simply not true - its cultural!

But if you brainwash someone (i.e. women) long enough, (i.e. decades/centuries), they tend to believe everything you want them to., so yes, despite what these women say, they are being held hostage to an old and outdated custom and to my mind it's a degrading and misogynistic! Religion has absolutely nothing to do with it and shouldn't even be a consideration and she needs to take it off for the ceremony - she can certainly put it back on afterwards!

JMHO

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I still think the best solution is to adopt an Official Canadian Uniform and make it a felony to appear in public in anything else.

I'm thinking jeans, flannel shirt, red and green suspenders, and the wearer's choice of a toque or a dorky fur hat with earflaps.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Because despite the fact people state that its a "religious" consideration is simply not true - its cultural!

But if you brainwash someone (i.e. women) long enough, (i.e. decades/centuries), they tend to believe everything you want them to., so yes, despite what these women say, they are being held hostage to an old and outdated custom and to my mind it's a degrading and misogynistic! Religion has absolutely nothing to do with it and shouldn't even be a consideration and she needs to take it off for the ceremony - she can certainly put it back on afterwards!

JMHO

The only brainwashed person is you.

If there is nothing wrong with letting her put it back on after the ceremony, then why would there be anything wrong in wearing it during the ceremony?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

If there is nothing wrong with letting her put it back on after the ceremony, then why would there be anything wrong in wearing it during the ceremony?
Cuz it DEFIES CANADIAN CULTURE AND TRADITIONS! Anybody who wants to come to Canada should act Canadian! They should speak English because, gol-dang it, this here's ENGLAND. . . um. . . CANADA! They should DRESS THE WAY WE DRESS! They should love Tim Hortons and hockey! Cuz this here's CANADA!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Why would she want to live in Canada if she or more likely her husband do not want to adopt our culture and rules? SHe does have the right to go back to what ever third world country she comes from if she doesn't like how we do things. There is a waiting list of people that WANT to become Canadians.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Why would she want to live in Canada if she or more likely her husband do not want to adopt our culture and rules? SHe does have the right to go back to what ever third world country she comes from if she doesn't like how we do things. There is a waiting list of people that WANT to become Canadians.
Still waiting for a definition of "our culture and rules."

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The success of our economy and as a functioning state depends on openly accepting people from a diverse set of cultural backgrounds into our country and getting us all to work together.

That is the very definition of this country.

Last edited:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Something just doesn't sound right about allowing a face to be covered for identification purposes - but wearing a disguise in commission of a crime will get you extra time.