Should Canada have Mandatory Voting

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
This is something that I have given a lot of thought to. I have come to the conclusion that I want people to vote, who are somewhat informed. Not making it a legal requirement to vote. Mind you there is no telling that those who are voting, know anything about what is going on.. I think that if they make the effort to go to the polling station they are more likely to have some knowledge, rather than having people who are voting just so they aren't fined.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Not a Canadian myself but from the outside looking in I think if someone in your fair country refuses to vote they should be flogged and hung and turned into BBQ for the ones who are faithful

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Not a Canadian myself but from the outside looking in I think if someone in your fair country refuses to vote they should be flogged and hung and turned into BBQ for the ones who are faithful
I think we should force everybody to do everything they have a right to do.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
That and mandatory referendum that deals with freedom of the citizens at home and abroad. On every issue like whacking two British kids after following them for a few years. I'm pretty sure some form of intervention could have been invented in that time to result in a different ending for them.
Getting 'canned' over there means that is how much damage your body takes, you look like flaked tuna in a 'can'.

I think we should force everybody to do everything they have a right to do.
Make the pension dependent on how much input you had in all your years of voting on the hundreds of referendums that were voted on in the 50 some 'working time' a person put into the system. The more that is given to the poorest results in the most people being hired to do the same thing, causing an illusion of work but really it is just wasting money that the poor could be spending just as fast.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The ones that would make me think I have the right to vote in issues that concern Syrians first and foremost? (while denying them the same right to vote in affairs that effect just Canadians, that pill?)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Sorry but your Yankee concern no longer affects me. We already know you are slow, no need to reaffirm it several times a day.

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
I'm against mandatory voting for a few reasons. First, it goes against the principle of the freedom to chose to vote. No one should be forced. Second, people forced to vote probably haven't given it much thought, and will be less informed than the people who vote. Therefore, they are more likely to vote for superficial reasons (who has the biggest sign, nastiest campgain ads, etc.). Third, The lower the voter turnout, the more power my vote has. Let's say there are 100,000 registered voters in my riding. If half don't vote, my vote is worth 1/50,000th. At 100% turnout, it's only worth 1/100,000th.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm in favour of something similar to what Australia has. I don't see voting as just a 'right.' Its a civic duty. You cant just say no to any of the other ones without a reason. Voting should be no different.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I would be against mandatory voting since those that don't vote don't have a right to bitch. However if they were forced to vote to avoid a fine they could simply spoil the ballot.

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
If only these non-voters could see, in some other countries that some people.risked their lives, or will stand in line for hours under the hot sun,just so they could exercise their right to vote. I suppose for some, no matter what, they couldn't be bothered.