Conservatives blame Media for Canada's failure to address Refugee Crisis

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Watch this conbot get utterly lambasted for completely making **** up.

Chris Alexander defends Canada's refugee response, blames media

Immigration minister says media has overlooked crisis

Amid what has been called the worst refugee crisis since the Second World War, the immigration minister says Canada has taken in "approximately 2,500" Syrian refugees to date.

"The numbers grow quickly through private sponsorship and government assistance. We also have brought over 20,000 Iraqi refugees," Chris Alexander said.

The plight of Syrian refugees was brought into the spotlight today after a picture of a drowned child circulated on social media. The boy was found lying face down on a Turkish beach. It is believed he was three years old. Turkish media are reporting his mother and older brother also died trying to reach Europe.

More than four million refugees have fled Syria since the crisis began in 2011. There are also more than seven million internally displaced people within Syria.

Ontario NDP candidate Paul Dewar told CBC's Power & Politics host Rosemary Barton that the Conservative government's policies have been a catastrophe.

Migrants from Syria queue for a bus in a village near Presevo, Serbia last week. The issue of what Canada should do to help alleviate the crisis of refugees and other desperate migrants in Europe was raised on the campaign trail in Canada Wednesday. (Marko Djurica/Reuters)

"They had to be dragged kicking and screaming to actually admit 1,300 refugees," he said. "They couldn't tell us for a full year … how many refugees had come. At the same time Germany, Sweden, other countries were taking in tens of thousands."

Former Liberal cabinet minister John McCallum called the Conservative response to the Syrian refugee crisis a "total disgrace," and made the comparison with Progressive Conservative leaders Joe Clark and Brian Mulroney who McCallum said were part of a tradition of Canadian generosity to refugees.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/c...-syria-refugee-crisis-conservatives-1.3213514

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
This is about to blow up.

Family of children found on Turkish beach were trying to come to Canada

The two small boys whose bodies washed up on a Turkish beach Wednesday were Kurdish refugees from Kobane, Syria, whose family had been desperately trying to emigrate to Canada.

Galip Kurdi, five, and his three-year-old brother Aylan died along with their mother Rehan and eight other refugees when their boat overturned in a desperate flight from Turkey to the Greek island of Kos.

The boys’ father, Abdullah, survived. His family says his only wish now is to return to Kobane with his dead wife and children, bury them, and be buried alongside them.

“I heard the news at five o’clock in this morning,” Teema Kurdi, Abdullah’s sister, said Wednesday. The telephone call came from Ghuson Kurdi, the wife of another brother, Mohammad. “She had got a call from Abdullah, and all he said was, my wife and two boys are dead.”

Teema, a Vancouver hairdresser who emigrated to Canada more than 20 years ago, said Abdullah and Rehan Kurdi and their two boys were the subject of a “G5” privately sponsored refugee application that was rejected by Citizenship and Immigration in June, owing to the complexities involved in refugee applications from Turkey.

The family had two strikes against them – like thousands of other Syrian Kurdish refugees in Turkey, the UN would not register them as refugees, and the Turkish government would not grant them exit visas.

“I was trying to sponsor them, and I have my friends and my neighbours who helped me with the bank deposits, but we couldn’t get them out, and that is why they went in the boat. I was even paying rent for them in Turkey, but it is horrible the way they treat Syrians there,” Teema said.

Fin Donnelly, the MP for Port Moody-Coquitlam, said he’d hand-delivered the Kurdis’ file to Citizenship and Immigration Minister Chris Alexander earlier this year. Alexander said he would look into it, Donnelly said, but the Kurdis’ application was rejected in June. Alexander could not be reached for comment.

“This is horrific and heartbreaking news,” Donnelly said. “The frustration of waiting and the inaction has been terrible.”

Canada and Turkey have long been at loggerheads over the bottleneck blocking Syrian refugees in Turkey from finding their way to Canada. It is not uncommon for Kurds in Syria to be arbitrarily denied passports, and to have great difficulty registering as refugees with the UNHCR.

The Turkish government refuses to issue exit visas to unregistered refugees not holding valid passports.

Family of children found on Turkish beach were trying to come to Canada | Ottawa Citizen

Last edited by a moderator:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Our government would be wise to stop all refugees from the middle east from coming here. If not we will soon have a crisis of our own.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I think all parties in Canada are keeping quiet about this.

Do you REALLY want to be part of what is happening in other countries?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Chris Alexander suspends Conservative re-election campaign

Conservative candidate Chris Alexander has suspended his campaign for re-election in the riding of Ajax, Ont.

Alexander, a former diplomat, was first elected in 2011. He became Stephen Harper's immigration minister in 2013.

During a Wednesday panel appearance on CBC News Network's Power & Politics, he defended the Harper government's response to the Syrian refugee crisis, and said the media had failed to "put it in the headlines where it deserves to be."

Alexander cancelled a Thursday morning media appearance and is returning to Ottawa to focus on his ministerial responsibilities.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/canada-election-2015-alexander-refugee-crisis-1.3213869

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Seriously Flossy... do you think there is a big outrage in Canada for keeping clear of this migration crisis?

I am sure Canadians are holding their breath and trying not to be seen.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
May i remind the lefties that those people are responsible for their own troubles? Why should we bail them out and wait for it to start here?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I was actually wondering why this topic even took awhile to make it to CanCon.

Canadians from coast to coast are holding their breaths about this.

Believe me folks... these migrants aren't waiting for things to settle down in their home countries and then returning. They have pulled up stakes and have left their home countries for good.

cribone

Sep 2, 2015
Alexander by blaming the media for not publicising the Syrian refugee crisis is admitting that he Conservative Government does nothing to solve a problem unless there is media storm on the issue and political points can be scored in the media.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
If you dom
n't have a problem with that lieing sack of ****, that put you in the same poke, you retarded ****s !

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The media, having extremely short attention span is focusing on the refugees instead of what is happening where they come from that is causing the problem. That being militant islam. The problem will reoccur wherever the refugees end up.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Our government would be wise to stop all refugees from the middle east from coming here. If not we will soon have a crisis of our own.

Israel is in the middle east dingbat.

May i remind the lefties that those people are responsible for their own troubles? Why should we bail them out and wait for it to start here?

We bombed them turd blossum.