NDP MP Pat Martin used donations from unions to pay off debt from defamation law suit

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
hey kids, remember this 2013 tidbit?

didn't think so.

Move over Mike Duffy

For months the NDP has been railing against Mike Duffy for accepting a gift — from Nigel Wright — to pay off his debt for inappropriately claiming a Senate living allowance.

Well, it looks like one of their own has done the same thing — sort of.

According to the Ottawa Citizen, New Democrat MP Pat Martin, received cash gifts from several unions to pay off debts incurred with regard to a defamation law suit against him for accusing an Edmonton call centre of being behind the Guelph robocall scandal.
Documents filed with the federal ethics commissioner by the Manitoba MP earlier this month show he accepted contributions to a legal defence fund from the Canadian Labour Congress, the United Steelworkers and the Canadian Union of Public Employees, and 14 other unions or locals.

The donations are being used the repay a loan Martin received from the New Democratic Party of Canada to settle the legal case.

Political contributions from unions have been illegal at the federal level since 2004, but Martin says these donations to his legal defence are considered “gifts” to him personally under ethics rules, even though he will never see the money.
According to the Ottawa Citizen report, Martin did get approval from federal ethics commissioner Mary Dawson prior to accepting the union donations. But while he must recuse himself from voting on legislation that "affect his donors specifically" he is free to vote "on legislation that affects labour unions generally."

Certainly, this isn't the exact same thing as the prime minister's former chief of staff secretly gifting Mike Duffy $90,000 so that he could repay taxpayers. Martin was upfront about his gifts, he sought and received approval from the ethics commissioner and seemingly played by the rules.

But , according political consultant Gerry Nicholls, there's a definitely a perception of impropriety here.

"The problem for the NDP with this issue is one of perception. Yes maybe Martin did everything by the book, but that won’t stop the Liberals, the Conservatives and the media from comparing him to Duffy," Nicholls told Yahoo Canada News in an email exchange.

"That could undermine the NDP’s efforts to make political hay on the Duffy scandal. It’s hard to attack and defend at the same time."

If the Liberals and the Conservatives need some help developing some good talking points, they might want to look to Twitter:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/can...rtin-used-donations-unions-pay-210359545.html

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
They are all a bunch of f**king hypocrites. :) :)

So ... uh ... what NDP shenanigans penalized Duffy?

I guess the Dippers were giving Duffy a hard time for doing the same sort of sh*t they were doing themselves. (About par for the course) No??

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
that means doffo, harpo and Nigelo should be out of the duck soup.
after all they're simply politicians this sort of thing should be expected.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I guess the Dippers were giving Duffy a hard time for doing the same sort of sh*t they were doing themselves. (About par for the course) No??
Pretty much ... but I don't recall any union being in advisory capacity or any leader denying what everyone witnessed on the news

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I still find it refreshing that the theft was only 90K, it was paid back, and the PM's scanned everyone involved.

The opposition calls this a scandal, I call it is about time. I was getting tired of millions disappearing into liberal politicians like it was popcorn

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The scandal isn't the 90K. That's just the result bafflegab rules for senators. The scandal is all the lies and deception tied into Mr Transparency - and the fact he claims no knowledge of what goes on in his tightly-controlled office

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
.... And you know, for a fact, that Harper was in the know on this from the get-go?

That is totally beside the point, it doesn't matter - it's $90 grand and it didn't go in his pocket so it's a tempest in a piss pot. A $trillion or so disappeared on Bay St. today.

Last edited:

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
The scandal isn't the 90K. That's just the result bafflegab rules for senators. The scandal is all the lies and deception tied into Mr Transparency - and the fact he claims no knowledge of what goes on in his tightly-controlled office

If duffy lied to the public, it isn't that difficult to believe that he lied to everyone. And when the truth surfaced, harper acted correctly.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
The scandal is that they are conservatives and you don't like conservatives period .

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
and how did this end up being bout the Cons? Some how.....again.... the NDP get's a pass.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Apparently you do, considering you gave one its own space ... and who in Hell do you think you are to tell me what I like and don't like?
Me I am a simple poster on a message board . Who do you think you are that I would care ?