"F*** Harper" vs. Fred Phelps: Free speech double standards

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
An Edmonton man named Rob Wells has been fined for having a large, foul-mouthed anti-Harper sign stuck to his car's rear view mirror.

Around the city, Wells is a well-known crank and attention hound.

He's a lot like the late Fred Phelps, the self-styled "Baptist" pastor (and member of the Democratic Party) whose "church" picketed funerals.

The media and liberals in general are defending Wells' right to free speech.

They think children wearing "F*** Stephen Harper" t-shirts are cute, too.

But weren't these the same people hounding #FHRITP shouters out of jobs, and denouncing Phelps' behaviour?

I believe that what Rob Wells is doing shouldn't be against the law, even though I have a history with Wells.

He believes in free speech for himself, but not for other people -- including me.

http://www.therebel.media/watch_rob_f_harper_wells

hey kids, there are 'bad' words in this video.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
It's deeply ingrained in Conservative ideology to stifle free speech, so I'm not surprised.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I think Angry Old Guy is a very fitting avatar for you Loc.

CLIFFY just said this!

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
"Hounding them out of jobs" isnt the government firing them. Free speech only means the government cant do anything about what you say. It says nothing about what employers or other citizens can do or say about it. In this case the guy is getting a ticket over it. I guess you could say there is some sort of precedent seeing as there is a language police of sorts in Quebec. The fact that thing exists is still f**king insane.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
freedom of expression,you know you live in redneck country when.........

"members of the Ponoka interfrated traffic unit pulled over an Edmonton driver on Highway 2 north of Ponoka after noticing a large pink sign with phrase"F uck Harper" on his rear window.
Rob Wells the 67 year old driver was given a ticket for stunting after refusing to take the sign down. He received a ticket for $543.00,due to the startling nature of the sign.
Ponoka News,"police blog",august 19th 2015.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
lots of stop signs delivering the same message............"STOP" Harper.
if anything the time factor for the election should give lots of opportunities to place messages on stop signs.

this of course is vandilism.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Re: freedom of expression,you know you live in redneck country when.........

How many frucking threads do we need on this subject? I believe this is #3. Please learn to read.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
lots of stop signs delivering the same message............"STOP" Harper.
if anything the time factor for the election should give lots of opportunities to place messages on stop signs.

this of course is vandilism.

You and your left wing friends must be very shallow brained to think that a "vandalized" (note correct spelling) public road sign would change the voting intention of anyone other than a child or a left winger.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Well I would hope the same thing would happen if the sign said F Trudeau or F Mulclair. Someone should try it to see if there really is a double standard.

I doubt if it was the sign itself though - I'm thinking its where it was placed!! There are drivers who can't drive with all the windows clear, much less the back window blocked completely. He's likely an accident waiting to happen!

JMHO