How to eliminate the redundancies in public media funding?

Given how little difference there actually is between public and private media in Can

• Cut public media funding altogether.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Shift funding from English and French to sign languages and other languages.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shift funding towards radio broadcasting in more remote areas of the country.

• A combination of the above.

• Another option.

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Given how little difference there actually is between public and private media in Canada today, how would you reduce the redundancies between the two?

I could see a few possible solutions:

1. Cut public media funding altogether.
2. Shift funding from English and French to sign languages, indigenous languages, and the languages of other more disadvantaged linguistic communities.
3. Shift funding towards radio broadcasting in more remote areas of the country where private radio broadcasting is nonexistent.
4. A combination of the above.
5. Another option.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I voted "A combination of the above."

There is no point in funding English and French in urban centres that private media companies are already spoiling for choice. That is completely redundant.

Shifting some of the remaining funding towards sign-language or indigenous-language media would promote public media that generally has little to no equivalent in the private sector, thus significantly reducing the present redundancies.

Shifting the remaining funding towards public radio broadcasting in isolated communities has a potential public safety advantage and provides radio broadcasting where it otherwise wouldn't exist, thus further reducing the redundancies between public and private media funding.

Shifting funding towards sign-language media would also create employment for the Deaf, who generally struggle to find work in the free market. We could say the same for indigenous-language media. Shifting funding to remote locations would also slow rural migration to the cities at least somewhat.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I am against public money being spent on broadcasters, especially CBC. With Satellite radio there is no need for spending extra money on public broadcasting to remote areas. THey too are finally free of CBBC.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I listen to Radio 1 & 2 exclusively.

Satellite radio isn't free. I've been able to pick up the SK radio 1 AM broadcast as far as Omaha Nebraska when driving to San Antonio.

Why on earth would I want to pay Sirius?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
5. Another Option.
If your reading material points in one direction to an extreme then you could receive tailored programming that could help you resolve some conflicts that you weren't aware you were having. (enter twilight zone music)
If any Eskimo ever have to say 'Are you there?' syndrome the should invest in the tow kite with 35 ft of antenna. 'Hello Brazil.'

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I listen to Radio 1 & 2 exclusively.

Satellite radio isn't free. I've been able to pick up the SK radio 1 AM broadcast as far as Omaha Nebraska when driving to San Antonio.

Why on earth would I want to pay Sirius?

More good points.

5. Another Option.
If your reading material points in one direction to an extreme then you could receive tailored programming that could help you resolve some conflicts that you weren't aware you were having. (enter twilight zone music)
If any Eskimo ever have to say 'Are you there?' syndrome the should invest in the tow kite with 35 ft of antenna. 'Hello Brazil.'

I don't understand.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'd like to have more spent on FM broadcasting of Radio 1,2 & 3

Commercial radio sucks balls. It's total garbage.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The original intent of the CBC was to get the news to those in 'remote locations' They also acted as a messenger service for those same people. If CBC shuts down that part it should move up in levels rather than the service no longer being available. Moving up would be direct dial the message and get local weather forecasts that are as good as naval charts can provide for the average Joe. What patent or wife wouldn't want to track somebody off on a polar bear hunt. As long as the line doesn't go dead he is still alive. Acme Hardware might have what he is looking for, a book on how to make an igloo bear-proof.

By being 'tracked' and you search for 'perpetual motion' you would get a better set of hits than if your viewing habit was a blank-slate. Unless you know you are being fed selective links you might mistake them for something else.

This what commercial internet is like as it does promote a product. Other than that it is a channel worth listening to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLpa91Rk7Bo&list=UUhD-zWutIego-bcHKOatFWA

A 30ft piece of copper wire is the length of a UHF antennae (voice and data capable)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
As a city-dweller, I'd like to see less funding for public English and French television broadcasting; we're already spoilt for choice on that front, plus television isn't the best for informing people of emergencies since you can't drive and watch TV at the same time.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
As a city-dweller, I'd like to see less funding for public English and French television broadcasting; we're already spoilt for choice on that front, plus television isn't the best for informing people of emergencies since you can't drive and watch TV at the same time.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

They manage to text while driving so watching T.V. should be a simple matter!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I miss NHL and CFL on CBC. They did a far better job than the Toronto Sports Network.

I've watched a lot of Habs games on CBC French but not anymore. That disappoints me. At least the 6 or 7 Francophones in SK are being served.