Trudeau looks to gain ground in Calgary

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Trudeau looks to gain ground in Calgary - The Globe and Mail
Home - The Globe and Mail

In a city long considered a Conservative fortress and a province newly enamoured with Premier Rachel Notley’s NDP, Justin Trudeau found himself in enemy territory Monday, fighting a political battle on two fronts. A re-elected Conservative government would just keep breaking Alberta’s heart and mire the country in a recession, the Liberal Leader said. And the change being promised by Tom Mulcair’s New Democrats would be just as fleeting.

Video

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has called a federal election. Here's a look at five key things to know about the election campaign.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper has called a federal election. Here's a look at five key things to know about the election campaign. CP Video
Video

Multimedia

Greeted by about 400 cheering supporters in the new riding of Calgary Confederation, Mr. Trudeau attacked Mr. Harper’s financial record and his plan to stick to the status quo.

“He’s asking Canadians to stay the course,” Mr. Trudeau said of Mr. Harper. “Well, the course we’re on has led straight back into recession.

Of course, Alberta’s no longer the one-horse province it once was – not since Ms. Notley bowled over the old-boys network this past spring and shattered the half-century Progressive Conservative dynasty.

Which means any Liberal leader worth his salt needs to fire his guns in two directions at once.

“Mr. Mulcair? Mr. Mulcair has no answer,” Mr. Trudeau said.

“He says he wants to help people who work for the minimum wage but his plan to raise the minimum wage doesn’t apply to 99 per cent of the Canadians who earn the minimum wage.

“The NDP won’t tell you that. They’ll say they’ll help, but they won’t – and worse, they know they won’t.”

Trudeau looks to gain ground in Calgary - The Globe and Mail

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Today I visited the liberal party site to find out what their platform is. I've come to the conclusion that there really isn't one.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Do you think Albertans go for these city slickers from the East?

Today I visited the liberal party site to find out what their platform is. I've come to the conclusion that there really isn't one.

Platform???? I doubt if they even have a plank!