Why does Harper always play both sides of the fence?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
He opposed Ignatieff's bid for Prime Minister due to his residency abroad yet never proposed changing the law to prohibit Canadians who have lived abroad from running for Parliament.

He opposes Mulcair's dual citizenship even if it is for the security it gives him to remain with his wife and kids when abroad, yet has never proposed banning dual citizenship for new Canadians.

He criticizest the NDP for being too protectionist but then actively defends supply management.

He opposes homosexual marriage and abortion but refuses to open them up for debate.

He supports democracy yet his ministers were in the streets of Kiev cheering on violent protesters trying to overthrow Ukraine's last universally elected government.

How can his words be so different from his policy positions?

If he opposes dual citizenship, fine, but say it. If he opposes Canadians who have lived abroad from being MP's, fine, but be honest about it. With all of this double talk, I have no idea where he really stands.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Personally I like the concept of supply management I would like to see it for
the entire food industry. I don't care for Harper but I support him on this one.
The only thing the Tories have is to tear down any other proposal because they
are in trouble economically and they are handing out money they say the
government doesn't have. Great election time changes everything eh?
the people that howl when other governments do that are strangely silent these days.
I am hoping this government gets hammered by people who are fed up with the
lies and shortfall in their promises. We would have a government we could count on
to do the right thing. We know differently now don't we it is time for a real change in
direction and policy.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
He opposed Ignatieff's bid for Prime Minister due to his residency abroad yet never proposed changing the law to prohibit Canadians who have lived abroad from running for Parliament.

He opposes Mulcair's dual citizenship even if it is for the security it gives him to remain with his wife and kids when abroad, yet has never proposed banning dual citizenship for new Canadians.

He criticizest the NDP for being too protectionist but then actively defends supply management.

He opposes homosexual marriage and abortion but refuses to open them up for debate.

He supports democracy yet his ministers were in the streets of Kiev cheering on violent protesters trying to overthrow Ukraine's last universally elected government.I

How can his words be so different from his policy positions?

If he opposes dual citizenship, fine, but say it. If he opposes Canadians who have lived abroad from being MP's, fine, but be honest about it. With all of this double talk, I have no idea where he really stands.

Wow, that analysis has as much substance to it as puppy piss in a saucer.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC