Deficit projected for federal government this year

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Deficit projected for federal government this year

New projections by the parliamentary budget officer suggest the federal government's budget won't be balanced this year, despite the Conservatives' promise to have no deficit in 2015.

The budget officer released the report Wednesday morning, following a July 16 request from the Liberals and July 18 request by the New Democrats. The parties made the requests based on a decline in real GDP in the first quarter of 2015, which results in lower corporate tax revenue and HST for the federal government.

The government had projected a slim, $1.4 billion surplus for 2015 in its budget, which was presented last April.

The PBO estimates a budget outlook updated with the lower GDP numbers alone would show a $1.5 billion deficit at the end of this year and a $0.1 billion, or $100 million, deficit in 2016-17. Canada would be back at a $1.5 billion surplus in 2017-18, according to the PBO projection.

But that's not the whole picture: weak GDP growth, the budget office says, would be partially offset by higher inflation and lower interest rates. Once those are taken into account, the projected deficit is $1 billion this year, with a small surplus of $0.6 billion, or $600 million, in 2016-17, and $2.2 billion in 2017-18.

Then again, "including a new set‐aside for contingencies would reduce the budgetary balance further."

The government currently has a $1 billion set-aside for contingencies.

The PBO projection came about an hour after Finance Canada said the federal government posted a $3.9 billion surplus for the first two months of the 2015-16 fiscal year. Those numbers include the estimated $3.4 billion of General Motors shares the government sold.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/deficit-projected-for-federal-government-this-year-1.3163097

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Election and doling out cash for kids and that equals deficit and it hardly
gets mentioned. What another broken promise from Harper's folks.
Why am I not surprised.
They are pumping childcare benefits and stating the amount not that these
benefits are in fact going to have claw backs from the feds and the Provinces.
Take the money and put it into a national daycare program and it might be
a real non taxable benefit.
I hope people catch on to the slight of hand here and I think they will.
This is not a childcare benefit it is pandering to a specific group using
taxpayers money for the purpose of vote getting.
A recognized daycare program is much the same except there would be
a real benefit as both parents can contribute to income and this would
improve their standard of living.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Jennifer, what happened to that $3 billion coming back as taxes as you've been claiming?

It's carbon neutral green taxes. If you don't need it, you pay it back. If you do need it you probably don't pay income tax.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
If there is likely to be a deficit there are a bunch of social programs that can be canceled or cut back to ensure a balanced or preferably a surplus budget. Start with lopping a billion off the CBC.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
And if oil dropped again we would still be in a hole.

Great plan guys!

Top notch.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
So western oil has been carrying your ON as$ instead of building your own economy back up? Did oil make manufacturers run away?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Neither had anything to do with your manufacturing industry leaving. Everyone simply got too greedy. Much like sawmills in BC: Too many levels of government with the authority to tax and regulate and greedy unions priced you out of the market.

Yes, too greedy to accept the same kind of pitiful wage China and Mexico gives it's workers.

What's wrong with you?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Neither had anything to do with your manufacturing industry leaving. Everyone simply got too greedy. Much like sawmills in BC: Too many levels of government with the authority to tax and regulate and greedy unions priced you out of the market.
So. . .

The government got greedy.

The Unions got greedy.

But the poor, suffering, oppressed corporations didn't get greedy, did they? They just suffered like Jesus on the cross.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I'm off to the states for a conference next week. Whenever I travel out of country I convert all prices to C$ in my had to see what I'm actually paying for something. Even at this exchange rate booze is much cheaper in the US so I'll stock up before I return.