Conservatives admit spending will save economy

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Conservatives look to family benefit cheques, infrastructure spending to boost economy

All but overlooked in the past week of troubling economic news was federal Finance Minister Joe Oliver's unexpected nod to government stimulus spending.

The run-up to an October general election is happening amid talk of recession, international downgrades of Canada's growth prospects, weak world oil prices and several grim provincial outlooks — stormy seas for an incumbent Conservative government seeking a fourth mandate after staking its reputation on sound economic management.

A Conservative re-election plan engineered in sunnier days when a return to balanced budgets could comfortably co-exist with voter-friendly spending bonanzas is now being repurposed as a recession-fighting necessity.

"What people should understand is that some of the measures which the prime minister announced and which I announced in the budget will inject almost $10 billion in cash into the economy this year," Oliver told reporters in Vancouver last Tuesday.

"The two primary sources of that cash input relate to the family benefits program and infrastructure spending. So that will have an impact, a positive impact on Canadian economic activity."

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/business/c...structure-spending-to-boost-economy-1.3148915

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
I can't be bothered to comment on yet another cut/paste but I do want to point out the fanatasisim of you chastising the things you think the Conservatives are doing when you would support it wholeheartedly if it where the NDP is unsettling. By contrast, you never tire of cheering on the NDP if they take a "conservative" style stand on an issue as your stream of Notely cut/pastes demonstrates.

But it is precisely that type of political partisanship that is so frightening and gave us poor Albertans 10 out of 12 imported COS. When the NDP where elected it wasn't provincially. Apparently your ilk believe we elected and by default endorsed every NDP hack or activist in Canada and that's how we wound up with an anti pipeline activist from Toronto overseeing our pipeline development. Where was that in the election speeches? Where was that in the Mentalfloss cut/paste?

If you vote for the same political party more than 3x in a row you're probably a partisan wingnut.

Remember: If you follow just one belief it eventually becomes a falsehood and with it....you a fanatic.

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I've always been consistent that investments are necessary to have a healthy economy and this is no different.

There are no inconsistencies in my thought process on this and I never condemned the Conservative party for admitting these kinds of truths.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Gvt spending (any nation) is a common tactic during recessionary times... Although the best scenario is to not have the gvt act as a large employer, there are a number of bennies associated with it.

If done within reason and on a temporary basis, it can offer a far better outcome as opposed to gvt contraction and dealing with the unemployment and higher reliance on social services during those recessionary times

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Private investment is indicative of a healthy economy. Public investment is an indicator or a sick one.

Well yes, the purpose of any investment is with the aim of producing positive result, whether that it is for improvement or reparation.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I've always been consistent that investments are necessary to have a healthy economy and this is no different.

There are no inconsistencies in my thought process on this and I never condemned the Conservative party for admitting these kinds of truths.

Well yes, the purpose of any investment is with the aim of producing positive result, whether that it is for improvement or reparation.

Except when it's juicy tax credits?

Maybe that is why ALL businesses get tax credits?

Is it bad if a company in product development can spend more of it's own money to pay for product development rather than get cash subsidies?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
the conservatives cannot manage a garage sale never mind a budget,let's get real!

Hmmmmmmm???

When unemployment is high, interest rates are low and infrastructure is in dire need of replacement or repair, is directing money to infrastructure a mistake?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Conservatives look to family benefit cheques, infrastructure spending to boost economy

All but overlooked in the past week of troubling economic news was federal Finance Minister Joe Oliver's unexpected nod to government stimulus spending.

The run-up to an October general election is happening amid talk of recession, international downgrades of Canada's growth prospects, weak world oil prices and several grim provincial outlooks — stormy seas for an incumbent Conservative government seeking a fourth mandate after staking its reputation on sound economic management.

A Conservative re-election plan engineered in sunnier days when a return to balanced budgets could comfortably co-exist with voter-friendly spending bonanzas is now being repurposed as a recession-fighting necessity.

"What people should understand is that some of the measures which the prime minister announced and which I announced in the budget will inject almost $10 billion in cash into the economy this year," Oliver told reporters in Vancouver last Tuesday.

"The two primary sources of that cash input relate to the family benefits program and infrastructure spending. So that will have an impact, a positive impact on Canadian economic activity."

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/business/c...structure-spending-to-boost-economy-1.3148915

If the government absolutely must increase expenditure, then raise taxes first.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
I am hoping that this extra tax relief for families will cause an increase in our birth rate in this country.

We need to stop spending so much money on immigration and start to grow more of our own.

Enough immigration already!!

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
If the government absolutely must increase expenditure, then raise taxes first.

Well we do have a fairly low corporate tax rate, and increasing that wouldn't be a burden to most people, so......

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I am hoping that this extra tax relief for families will cause an increase in our birth rate in this country.

We need to stop spending so much money on immigration and start to grow more of our own.

Enough immigration already!!

Don't hold your breath! People don't want to waste their lives raising kids.