Pan Am organizers try to drum up local interest amid low ticket sales

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I know eh. :lol:

With almost half its tickets still unsold just days from the opening ceremonies, Pan Am Games organizers are in the final push in a marketing campaign to ensure stands are full at events.

The priority now is on revving up local interest for the Games. Southern Ontario residents have so far focused their attention on the anticipated traffic chaos and $2.5-billion expense of Pan Am, rather than the athletics.

While organizers are optimistic that they will meet their goal of selling 1.4 million tickets, those in the business of sports ticketing and marketing say the lack of prestige compared with the Olympics means tickets may remain a hard sell.

One challenge the organizing committee faced since launching ticket sales last September is that they didn’t know until recently which countries would be competing against one another in scheduled matches, or which athletes would be attending, said Neala Barton, the senior vice-president of communications for TO2015.

“It’s like telling people ‘Come to a movie. I can’t tell you who’s in it or what it’s about, but I can tell you it’s going to be great.’ It can be a bit tough to get people excited about it when you don’t have that magic,” she said.

more

Pan Am organizers try to drum up local interest amid low ticket sales - The Globe and Mail

maybe if it was an artsy wine and cheese or the medal ceremonies featured occupy pantomime. anyway...wynnetario.