What can the Libertarian Party learn from Reform's PR mistakes?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I remember being attracted to the Reform Party's stance on free trade and what I knew of its language policy in its time, but hesitated to vote for my local Reform candidate for two reasons. For one thing, I still voted for the party and not the candidate, and so considered the party.

Another drawback was the party's public image. It seemed to attract bigots as exemplified by one candidate who along with his supporters decided to trample a Quebec flag on national TV. Though I did not know much about my local candidate, I had dropped into his campaign office once only to hear one of the volunteers ranting about Quebec!

In the end I'd ended up voting for the NDP candidate because of its support for the UN. Reform's apparent militarism had been somewhat of a turn off too.

All these years later I wonder if I should have voted for the Reform candidate in that election in spite of the differences on a few points. In the end though, bad PR prevailed.

Possibly the closest party I can see to the Reform Party today is the Libertarian Party, Reform really being a mix of that and the present Conservative Party.

So what can the present Libertarian Party learn from Reform's mistakes? Preston Manning himself was quite possibly more open than even the NDP, LPC, and the PCP in some respects. He was quick to dismiss his flag-stomping candidate, and as I'd learnt recently to my surprise, he was even open to allowing Federal offices in the prairies to operate bilingually in Ukrainian where numbers warranted. He'd also explicitly opposed the idea of "two founding races" as expressed by the B&B Commission. He'd also supported unilingually French offices in predominantly French-speaking communities, something the PQ has requested many times before.

I think though that he might have underestimated how much his opposition to official bilingualism would attract francophobic biggots into his party's ranks en masse.

Flash forward to today, and I've come across francophobes turning to the Libertarian Party of Canada as possibly the only party that opposes official bilingualism. Learning from Reform's mistakes, if the Libertarian Party wants any chance for growth, it must make very clear why it opposes official bilingualism and that it's members fully embrace French speakers. It does have some advantages over the old Reform Party in that it has French speaking candidates in parts of Quebec, and some of its former leaders have been French Canadians, but that won't be enough. What strategies would a party that opposes official bilingualism need to implement to keep the bigots out of its ranksand not repeat the PR mistakes of the Reform Party?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Don't be social neanderthals?

Preston Manning was hardly a social neanderthal. In fact, of all the party leaders, he was the most open to the idea of allowing Federal offices in predominantly French speaking communities to operate monolingually in French, something even the PQ supported at least in principle. He was also the only one open to considering Ukrainian in government offices where numbers warranted in parts of the prairies, and the only federal leader to do so.

A party cannot control its mmembers' every actions, but when it opposes official bilingualism, even if for valid teason, it risks attracting neanderthals among its ranks.

In fact, I find it ironic that the Federal Government has not granted Quebec's request for federal offices there to operate unilingually in French where French predominates lically, given his Reform roots.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
What can the Libertarians learn from Reform mistakes? How to split the vote....

What vote? Given that even I can swing between NDP and Libertarian, do you know which party's vote it's most likely to split?

Sorry for messing up my second to last post. I meant given Harper's Reform roots, I'm surprised he has not granted Quebec its wish to have Federal institutions in Quebec operate monolingually in French. Manning was highly principled and not vindictive. I get the impression Harper sometimes puts emotion before policy and will go against what he fundamentally believes just to be vindictive towards Quebec.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Vote ... as in election ... as in the Reform/CPC split that put Martin in office. If Libertarian were a contender, they would certainly split the vote in that sector commonly occupied by the Harper bunch

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Well, I suppose you can learn that the views held by a small minority won't magically spread to the majority without really goods reasons. Your opinions that they are right and correct are not sufficient.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Well, I suppose you can learn that the views held by a small minority won't magically spread to the majority without really goods reasons. Your opinions that they are right and correct are not sufficient.

But then more non-libertarians like myself might support it.

Vote ... as in election ... as in the Reform/CPC split that put Martin in office. If Libertarian were a contender, they would certainly split the vote in that sector commonly occupied by the Harper bunch

But given their military, prostitution and drug and immigration policies, they might split the left vote too.