Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne won't commit to Grassy Narrows mercury cleanup

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Grassy Narrows: Why Ontario decided not to clean up the mercury

The Ontario government economist who wrote a 1986 report recommending against cleaning up the mercury contamination near Grassy Narrows First Nation in northwestern Ontario said he stands by his work, even as new research shows mercury levels continue to rise.

Jack Donnan was the senior economist with the Ontario Ministry of the Environment at the time he wrote a cost-benefit analysis concluding that spending $20 million over six years to dredge the English-Wabigoon river system wasn't economically viable.

Reed Paper in Dryden dumped chemicals in the river in the 1960s and early 70s, resulting in mercury poisoning among First Nations people who eat fish caught in the area. A report commissioned by the provincial government and released publicly in June showed mercury levels are rising in some lakes and rivers.

"After reviewing my report and conclusions, I stand by my recommendation against the dredging project," Donnan told CBC News.
But Donnan said he was surprised to learn that the government is not providing more accurate information to the nearby First Nations about the ongoing contamination.

It's a recommendation Donnan made as part of his 1986 report — one that was reiterated by fresh water scientist Patricia Sellers in the latest research and recommendations on mercury contamination at Grassy Narrows.

more

Grassy Narrows: Why Ontario decided not to clean up the mercury - Thunder Bay - CBC News