Ex CBC 'veterans expert' exposed as a fraud

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Sheila Gunn Reid ‏@SheilaGunnReid

Everytime CBC needed a self described veterans advocate" to bash Harper they trotted out Wayne Johnston. Oops.

One of our friends north of the border send us a heads-up on this fellow, Wayne Johnston, who claims that he is the founder of Wounded Warriors Canada (their Facebook page). Editor note: According to a phone call I just got, Johnston hasn’t been affiliated with Wounded Warrior Canada for more than two years and that he never was a founder of the organization – it was just more of his bloviation with the media.

Since I’m no expert on Canadian awards, our friend sends us an explanation;
1. The Special Service Medal (SSM) was created to recognize members of the Canadian Forces who are taking part in activities and operations under exceptional circumstances. ELIGIBILITY & CRITERIA The Special Service Medal (SSM) recognizes members of the Canadian Forces (CF) who have performed a service determined to be under exceptional circumstances, in a clearly defined locality for a specified duration. The SSM recognizes approved activities underway on 11 June 1984 or subsequently established. This medals is always issued with a bar that specifies the special service being recognized, each bar having its own criteria.

Comment: There is no evidence of Johnston being entitled to this medal nor its attached NATO bar. He has claimed served in Europe as a Casualty Support Officer however, he would be ineligible for the SSM as ALL staff, logistical and administrative support duties as well as training are considered normal military duty and have been excluded from eligibility since 2004. However, he commenced wearing the medal sometime after 15 May 2013.

2. The Queen’s Silver Jubilee medal commemorates the 25th anniversary of the accession of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second to the throne. National organizations in every important field of endeavor, including the professions, education and arts, veterans’ groups, sports associations, philanthropic and charitable bodies and welfare services were asked to participate in submitting nominations. All members of the Order of Canada, Order of Military Merit and recipients of the Canadian Bravery Decorations received the Queen’s Silver Jubilee medal. This medal is administered by the Chancellery of Honours at Rideau Hall. ELIGIBILITY & CRITERIA Selection criterion for members of the Canadian Forces was based on merit, with length of service and prestige of current appointment as secondary consideration. This medal program is now closed.

Comment: There is no evidence of Johnston ever being entitled to this award, in fact he was first observed wearing it after 2011, 34 years after the program had closed!
Our friend is concerned that even though Mr. Johnston apologized yesterday on Facebook, not enough people will be aware of his attempts to inflate his service, so they came to us. I heartily applaud Mr. Johnston’s admission, but then, he shouldn’t have done it in the first place;

UPDATE: Someone called from the frozen north and tells us that Johnston hasn’t been affiliated with Wounded Warrior Canada since 2013 and that he is the one who has been telling the media that he’s a founder of the organization, when in fact, he wasn’t.

Captain Wayne Johnston (retired) phony : This ain't Hell, but you can see it from here

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Johnston and Harper are both frauds when it comes to Veterans.

Johnston and Harper are both frauds when it comes to Veterans.

Walter- You know SFA about how Harper has screwed over Veterans.
When you do we can chat.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
It is so sad, particularly on Canada Day, to read something like this.

So is this Sheila Gunn Reid persona upset with the CBC, Veterans Canada, Wounded Warriors or Wayne Johnston ?

Upon reading the article Reid starts with "our friends north of the border".

Since she claims to be in Alberta should we assume she means the border with the NWT?

And according to her "a phone call I just got" !!!

Not one person or 'citation' is offered.

And the facebook link provided in the article is NFG.

Sorry, this page isn't available

The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed

I have no doubt this persona Reid person was caught fabricating this attack and was forced to remove it.

I suspect this persona Reid just trying to deflect the shoddy treatment the Veterans have gotten from the Harper Cons.

Seriously people............

Captain Johnston is a Reserve Captain in the Canadian Forces. In 2006, as the result of his duties as an assisting officer assigned to severely wounded CF soldiers sent from Afghanistan to recover in Germany, Captain Johnston was motivated to found the nationally acclaimed charity, The Sapper Mike McTeague Wounded Warriors Fund (www.woundedwarriors.ca). An assisting officer helps the families of severely wounded or killed soldiers through the difficult times that lie ahead. While at the German hospital, Captain Johnston provided comfort to Sapper Mike McTeague, who was severely injured in a roadside suicide bomb in Afghanistan. The fund began because Captain Johnston noticed that Canadian troops at the German hospital had very little in the way of personal items and he wanted to provide these troops with something to take their minds off their pain and suffering. To date, more than 1.4 million dollars has been raised, with funds going directly toward soldiers recovering in Germany; funding Segway mobility devices to CF members; funding assistance toward mental health and operational stress injuries; funding for homeless Veterans and individual support to Canadian Forces members and their families whenever and wherever needed.

Wayne Johnston - Minister of Veterans Affairs Commendation - Veterans Affairs Canada

And you don't think the CON supporting Sun Media (now Postmedia) would have outed him?

Helping wounded warriors recover | The Kingston Whig-Standard

LGen (Ret'd) the Honourable Romàéo A. Dallaire Joins Wounded Warriors Canada

Wounded Warriors: Wounded Warriors: WWC News

Retired Captain Wayne Johnston and Capt. Stu Kellock share their thoughts during the funeral for Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent.

CTV News Channel: 'It's overwhelming' | CTV News

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Upon reading the article Reid starts with "our friends north of the border".

No she doesn't. She posted a link (which I included at the bottom of the OP) from her twitter feed (that you didn't check).

Since she claims to be in Alberta should we assume she means the border with the NWT?
And according to her "a phone call I just got" !!!

see above

Not one person or 'citation' is offered.

complain to the author of the article:

Contact us : This ain't Hell, but you can see it from here

And the facebook link provided in the article is NFG.

of course it is silly. it's in the linked article right under our over-inflated pretend medal recipient.

Captain Wayne Johnston (retired) phony : This ain't Hell, but you can see it from here

https://www.facebook.com/wayne.johnston2?fref=nf&pnref=story

I have no doubt this persona Reid person was caught fabricating this attack and was forced to remove it.

I suspect this persona Reid just trying to deflect the shoddy treatment the Veterans have gotten from the Harper Cons.

Seriously people............

seriously

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Yeah- A tender spot for me. I know a number of veterans screwed over by the New Veterans Charter.
It is a piece of excretement.

I don't expect my retirement plan and/or disability plan to pay out worth a damn. I am sorry for lacking in compassion for anyone that expects more than meager.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I don't expect my retirement plan and/or disability plan to pay out worth a damn. I am sorry for lacking in compassion for anyone that expects more than meager.

Are you familiar with the term and the meaning of unlimited liability?
Do you think Vets, injured / disabled serving their country should not be treated fairly?

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Are you familiar with the term and the meaning of unlimited liability?

As an employee, I am absolutely not familiar with the term and the meaning of unlimited liability. If I am injured or disabled at work, I pray that I receive enough assistance to make adjustments to my lifestyle.

Do you think Vets, injured / disabled serving their country should not be treated fairly?

I believe that they should be treated fairly. I'll also note that you haven't defined what 'treated fairly' means to you.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
As an employee, I am absolutely not familiar with the term and the meaning of unlimited liability. If I am injured or disabled at work, I pray that I receive enough assistance to make adjustments to my lifestyle.

I believe that they should be treated fairly. I'll also note that you haven't defined what 'treated fairly' means to you.

Tell me in your words what it means?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
No she doesn't. She posted a link (which I included at the bottom of the OP) from her twitter feed (that you didn't check).

see above

complain to the author of the article:

Contact us : This ain't Hell, but you can see it from here

of course it is silly. it's in the linked article right under our over-inflated pretend medal recipient.

seriously

Which Link?

I looked at them all.

One takes you to Wounded Warriors, the other to WWs Facebook page and neither says anything about Wayne Johnston being disposed.

One takes you to the 'This ain't Hell' by Jonn Lilyea which is a mirror to Reids.

This one send you to a dead link

One of our friends north of the border send us a heads-up on this fellow, Wayne Johnston

Does one not think that the Media and the CONS would have been like a Pitbull on a Poodle if this (phony charge) was true?

Would Julio Fantino not be crying out that he has been vindicated instead of a disgrace?

Of course I have considered that you are simply reposting this fictitious, unsubstantiated garbage to show us the mental midgetry of some right wingers and for that a big thanks.......

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
It is unfortunate that Veterans of both Canada and of the USA are NOT receiving the care that they should be getting, and are not being properly treated by their respective governments.

James Bondo wants to equate the severe physical and mental damage that many combat veterans have sustained with "Workers Compensation". That MIGHT be somewhat appropriate if soldiers/sailors/airmen etc. worked an 8-5 day, with weekends off, got to spend unlimited "off-time" with their families, etc., etc.

BUT, that is NOT the case for such people. When they join the military, they sign a contract that lays everything that they are, and everything that they may ever be, in the hands of their "employer". In effect, they sign a "blank check" that is payable to the Government, up to their very lives if necessary.

They are required to be available for duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days of each year. Yes, they may get time off, time to go home, etc., etc., but those things can be cancelled on a moments notice.

Mr. "Bondo" displays woeful ignorance about what military people actually do. Mr. "Bondo" could quit his job at any time. Soldiers are not allowed that freedom.

To attempt to equate military service with civilian employment simply shows abject ignorance about the military.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Which Link?

I looked at them all.

One takes you to Wounded Warriors, the other to WWs Facebook page and neither says anything about Wayne Johnston being disposed.

One takes you to the 'This ain't Hell' by Jonn Lilyea which is a mirror to Reids.

This one send you to a dead link

One of our friends north of the border send us a heads-up on this fellow, Wayne Johnston

Does one not think that the Media and the CONS would have been like a Pitbull on a Poodle if this (phony charge) was true?

Would Julio Fantino not be crying out that he has been vindicated instead of a disgrace?

Of course I have considered that you are simply reposting this fictitious, unsubstantiated garbage to show us the mental midgetry of some right wingers and for that a big thanks.......

Will make this simple as you appear to be a complete moron. Here is the link to the shyte heads facebook page where he "apologizes".

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I think we can all agree that vets don't get all they need right now and in a timely manner but hopefully things get better.

Point is here that CBC's talking head is a lying sack of sh!t wannabe.