Economic impacts of oil sands development in Alberta

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
I believe that the oil sands can be developed sustainably. But I wonder if they should?

Right now the rental vacancy rate in Ft. Mac has climbed to 23%. At last 20K people have been laid off over the past 6 months and the famous grid locked streets of Ft. Mac are eerily empty. Grande Prairie by comparison is still growing and while drilling is down forestry, farming and mining are up.

Sustainable economic development means that more diversity in the economy is necessary. If you build your community around one thing whether that is oilsands or banking, manufacturing or mining you will always be suceptible to the whims of foreign interests, economic cycles even short sighted politicians.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Oil will hit $75 $80 soon enough

634,000 barrels a day to go before we no longer import. When Energy East is up and running 476,000 will be exported from the east coast. That is a hefty chunk of change.

There is still a ****load to be made in volume rather than price. Price was always temporary as OPEC/Saudis needed $100 to pay for mega projects which Martin jumped at which set off the mega project the Asia Pacfic Gateway with gas anoil pielines in mind and Harper used to bankroll the ActionPlan.

It's about f-cking time Ottawa invested in western infrastructure to up the export game. When all is said and done, we'll be far ahead of the game even with the deal with the OPEC devil coming to an end.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Might want to merge.. basically the same shyte

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/news/135519-albertas-oilpatch-battens-down-changes.html

Also the minimum wage hike to $15/hr

With lower royalties in SK our portion of the oils sands just got more lucrative as did our heavy and light conventional crude. SK is the richest chunk of real estate on the planet. We have a plethora of resources and industries that make better returns than oil. There won't be any slowing of growth anytime soon.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
With lower royalties in SK our portion of the oils sands just got more lucrative as did our heavy and light conventional crude. SK is the richest chunk of real estate on the planet. We have a plethora of resources and industries that make better returns than oil. There won't be any slowing of growth anytime soon.

It seems it will be the new Bonanza for Canada.. the new economy engine.

With most definatly an NDP or Liberal win for the next election.. I'm looking at returning to Texas this week.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

With most definatly an NDP or Liberal win for the next election.. I'm looking at returning to Texas this week.

Don't bet your first born on that! :) :)

If Tommy Douglas didn't piss off Rockefeller AB wouldn't have out grown SK.

Do you really think any one of them Rockefellers even knew who Tommy Douglas was? :) :) or could f**king care? :)

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
....SK is the richest chunk of real estate on the planet...
Lay off smoking that crap it's making you say crazy stuff and drool all over your keyboard.

....I kind of think Canada will still have lots after Saudi Arabia, Venezuela and the U.S. have run out.
Venezuela has almost as much tar sand as Canada and they haven't even touched it not do they have any plans to-yet.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Neither of them will reduce oil sands development.

Lay off smoking that crap it's making you say crazy stuff and drool all over your keyboard.

Venezuela has almost as much tar sand as Canada and they haven't even touched it not do they have any plans to-yet.

Crazy stuff? You don't like reality?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
They don't have to.. they are raising both royalties and taxes on emissions. They will price them out of business or make it too expensive to business in Alberta

THAT is a distinct possibility, Rachel (I thought she is smart) is talking now about raising the minimum wage to $15 by 2018. Poor girl hasn't thought that one through very carefully.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
THAT is a distinct possibility, Rachel (I thought she is smart) is talking now about raising the minimum wage to $15 by 2018. Poor girl hasn't thought that one through very carefully.

Yup she raised royalties and emissions tax and minimum wage all in less than a week.

Turdeau and Eclair aren't running for AB Premier.

OK whatever.. you're not reading what I pointed out.. enough..

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You pointed out that Turd and Pastry were going to do something out of their capacity.

They don't have to.. they are raising both royalties and taxes on emissions. They will price them out of business or make it too expensive to business in Alberta