New Brunswick Premier says Energy East Pipeline would benefit Quebec

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
like no kidding eh. it's the anti-national sociopaths that enjoy picking at scabs that won't admit it.

Brian Gallant says Energy East Pipeline would benefit Quebec

N.B. premier says Quebec could see 4,000 jobs and $700 million in extra tax revenue

New Brunswick Premier Brian Gallant says Quebec would get about 4,000 jobs and $700 million in extra tax revenue from the Energy East Pipeline project.

New Brunswick Premier Brian Gallant contends the Energy East Pipeline would be good for Canada as a whole. (CBC News)He made the comments on Wednesday, in response to comments by the Quebec premier earlier this week. Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard told The Associated Press on Tuesday that he didn't see much economic value for his province in being a "transit place" for TransCanada Corp.'s proposed pipeline, which would carry crude oil from western Canada to refineries on the Atlantic coast.

But Quebec's benefits would be double those of New Brunswick in some areas, according to the estimates provided by Gallant.
'It's going to be our role, myself and others who support this project and want to see this investment be made, to show New Brunswickers, to show Quebecers, to show Canadians across the country, that there are benefits for all of us.'- Brian Gallant, New Brunswick premier​
"The province of Quebec is being estimated to receive, over the seven years of the beginning of the project, about 4,000 jobs created," said Gallant.

"We see an increase of about $3 billion in the GDP and on top of that, about $700 million in extra tax revenue for the province of Quebec. This is clear benefits that I think would help their province."

According to the estimations Gallant gave, New Brunswick would receive similar benefits, just not as much.

"We would see a GDP increase of $1.5 billion over the first seven years of the project. We would see about 2,000 jobs created for New Brunswick, and you would see about $300 million in tax revenue for the province over that span," he said.

Gallant says the benefits don't just go for the individual provinces. He feels the Energy East Pipeline would be a benefit for the entire country.

"It's going to be our role, myself and others who support this project and want to see this investment be made, to show New Brunswickers, to show Quebecers, to show Canadians across the country, that there are benefits for all of us," he said.

Gallant will be meeting with Couillard and the rest of Canada's premiers at the Council of the Federation meeting in St. John's July 14-18.

The Quebec government has imposed a number of conditions on TransCanada Corp. for it to accept the $12-billion project. One of the conditions is that the project generate economic benefits for Quebec.

The proposed 4,600-kilometre pipeline would carry 1.1 million barrels a day of oilsands crude from western Canada to refineries in Quebec and New Brunswick. It would terminate at Irving Oil's Canaport facility, which is located at the entrance to Saint John Harbour.
Its completion date has been pushed back by two years to 2020 after TransCanada Corp. abandoned plans for a terminal in Cacouna, Que.

The decision followed a recommendation that the status of beluga whales, which are found in the St. Lawrence River, be changed to endangered.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/new...-east-pipeline-would-benefit-quebec-1.3126404

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
Given that the COS of the department that oversees the pipeline came here after leaving his job as an anti pipeline lobbyist I am guessing this project is shelved until the goddamned NDP is turfed in 2019.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
1.1 million barrels a day of oilsands crude from western Canada to refineries in Quebec and New Brunswick
heavy, sweet, blend and kerogen crude from SK and AB but who is paying attention to the details like that?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Amazing,innit? You want those Eastern bastards to freeze in the dark but they don't want to take your energy in the first place.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
as i thought,
tomorrow all I hear is "dam Quebec",the stories are already circulating,"silly stories",red neck Albertans will have reason to be mad again,blaming Quebec for "stealing from them",blaming Quebec for everything,happy to be mad.
funny how politics makes full circles,I guess it is time for Quebec bashing,of course Albertans will bring up the seperation thing
I can't help to think Alberta has become the object of jokes,and full opportunites are taken to agitate the waters and to generate ridiculous actions and thoughts
thanks Quebec the anger continues to grow in Alberta.
then again i find it funny and predictable,keep up the good work Quebec.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
as i thought,
tomorrow all I hear is "dam Quebec",the stories are already circulating,"silly stories",red neck Albertans will have reason to be mad again,blaming Quebec for "stealing from them",blaming Quebec for everything,happy to be mad.
funny how politics makes full circles,I guess it is time for Quebec bashing,of course Albertans will bring up the seperation thing
I can't help to think Alberta has become the object of jokes,and full opportunites are taken to agitate the waters and to generate ridiculous actions and thoughts
thanks Quebec the anger continues to grow in Alberta.
then again i find it funny and predictable,keep up the good work Quebec.

Alberta is now a "have not province" like Québéc, it's time they start acting like Québéc and get all those "special" rights Québéc has..

English language only, a country within a country, free education at the expense of the rest of Canadian taxpayers, subsidies galor, and whatever else Canada gives Québéc just for staying part of Canada.

Why leaving Canada makes sense for Alberta, and U.S. would likely welcome a new state

The USA I doubt would have anything to do with Québéc and its cultural issues.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
From: Sask. premier fires back after Montreal-area mayors reject Energy East | News Talk 980 CJME

Sask. premier fires back after Montreal-area mayors reject Energy East

Saskatchewan's premier is firing back at Montreal area mayors

after they spoke out against the Energy East pipeline on Thursday.

The Montreal Metropolitan Community represents 82 municipalities.

On Thursday it said it opposes TransCanada's project, and will

defend that position at Quebec's environmental impact and

National Energy Board hearings.

Denis Coderre, Montreal's mayor and head of the group, said

the decision was unanimous and that the environment risks

of a spill far outweigh any economic benefits.

Brad Wall had a sharp response, saying in a statement it was

a "sad day for our country", that the mayors were being

"parochial" about the project, and that it would benefit

all of Canada including the Montreal municipalities.

He said the people in those municipalities will benefit

from about $10 billion in equalization payments, which

the Canadian energy sector and western Canada

have supported for almost a decade.

"Is it too much to expect that these Quebec municipal

leaders would respond to this reality with generous

support for a pipeline that supports the very sector

that has supported them," Wall said in a statement.

Wall tweeted a link to the full statement saying, "I trust
Montreal area mayors will politely return their share of
$10 Billion in equalization supported by the west."

"This is a sad day for our country when leaders from

a province that benefits from being part of Canada

can be this parochial about a project that would

benefit all of Canada, including these Quebec

municipalities.

"Pipelines are a safe and environmentally-friendly

way to transport oil – certainly safer and more

environmentally-friendly than rail.

"The constituents of Quebec municipalities will

benefit to the tune of $10 billion in equalization

payments this year. For the better part of the

last decade the western Canadian energy

sector and western Canadian taxpayers

have supported a great portion of these

transfer payments as well as the

Canadian economy.

"Is it too much to expect that these Quebec

municipal leaders would respond to this reality

with generous support for a pipeline that supports

the very sector that has supported them?"

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
You would think that after Les Megantic that a Montreal Mayor would weigh the pro's and con's of a pipeline vs train subjectively....

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

So is this pipeline, like most things political and involving
Quebec (I know how bad this sounds) ultimately and
simply a matter of finding the right dollar figure to make
Quebec happy?

I mean, a pipeline sounds like a win-win for Quebec and
the rest of Canada as a whole.....on many different fronts.
So what's the deal then? Is it a "How much can we squeeze
out'a 'dem to further help us help ourselves?"
sort'a thing?
Is it extortion? Is that what this is really about?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Amazing,innit? You want those Eastern bastards to freeze in the dark but they don't want to take your energy in the first place.

Awwww, whatsa matter pumpkin?

You still upset with something that was said 30 years ago?

PS - You do get your energy from Western Canada ~ you're just not smart enough to understand that it is pl/'d down to the States first, upgraded and then sold at a premium back to you.

Stick to what you know like residential siding installation

Hey man, it's 2016. Get with the hipster doofus program. :lol:

This is what that program looks like in Montreal

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
Yeah f-ck Alberta!!! I want to import oil from regimes. How f-cking hipster is that?
that's not only hipster,it is also "gangster"you will be in trouble,then again life is an adventure,go for it,if it is legal,what the hell.(Just Joshing)

I feel a rap song coming on.

Alberta is now a "have not province" like Québéc, it's time they start acting like Québéc and get all those "special" rights Québéc has..

English language only, a country within a country, free education at the expense of the rest of Canadian taxpayers, subsidies galor, and whatever else Canada gives Québéc just for staying part of Canada.

Why leaving Canada makes sense for Alberta, and U.S. would likely welcome a new state

The USA I doubt would have anything to do with Québéc and its cultural issues.
Boomer,it is this type of chit chat that sends me to the mountains,please spare us.

From: Sask. premier fires back after Montreal-area mayors reject Energy East | News Talk 980 CJME

Sask. premier fires back after Montreal-area mayors reject Energy East

Saskatchewan's premier is firing back at Montreal area mayors

after they spoke out against the Energy East pipeline on Thursday.

The Montreal Metropolitan Community represents 82 municipalities.

On Thursday it said it opposes TransCanada's project, and will

defend that position at Quebec's environmental impact and

National Energy Board hearings.

Denis Coderre, Montreal's mayor and head of the group, said

the decision was unanimous and that the environment risks

of a spill far outweigh any economic benefits.

Brad Wall had a sharp response, saying in a statement it was

a "sad day for our country", that the mayors were being

"parochial" about the project, and that it would benefit

all of Canada including the Montreal municipalities.

He said the people in those municipalities will benefit

from about $10 billion in equalization payments, which

the Canadian energy sector and western Canada

have supported for almost a decade.

"Is it too much to expect that these Quebec municipal

leaders would respond to this reality with generous

support for a pipeline that supports the very sector

that has supported them," Wall said in a statement.

Wall tweeted a link to the full statement saying, "I trust
Montreal area mayors will politely return their share of
$10 Billion in equalization supported by the west."

"This is a sad day for our country when leaders from

a province that benefits from being part of Canada

can be this parochial about a project that would

benefit all of Canada, including these Quebec

municipalities.

"Pipelines are a safe and environmentally-friendly

way to transport oil – certainly safer and more

environmentally-friendly than rail.

"The constituents of Quebec municipalities will

benefit to the tune of $10 billion in equalization

payments this year. For the better part of the

last decade the western Canadian energy

sector and western Canadian taxpayers

have supported a great portion of these

transfer payments as well as the

Canadian economy.

"Is it too much to expect that these Quebec

municipal leaders would respond to this reality

with generous support for a pipeline that supports

the very sector that has supported them?"
Brad Wall or what ever his name is,seems to be everywhere in the media,funny how that works,never heard of the guy,now i can't stop hearing his grand standing every day,why is this guy relevant,who gave him a soapbox?where did he come from?

Give back the oil money to Alberta :lol:
would you stop,i had to listen to this crap a thousand times in the last few days,this is torture to hear these silly comments.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
This is just another attempt by Quebec to oppress the rest of Canada. They will probably object until they get offered a lot of money and then they'll shut up until another opportunity to fleece the rest of us pops up.
If the Liberals had any guts, they would just tell Quebec, "The pipeline's going through, so deal with it!"
Quebec's the bloody tail wagging the dog!