Rona Ambrose Needs a Prescription for her Hyperventilation Issue

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
She doesn't seem to understand that she supposed to be the Minister of Health, not the Minister of Pain and Suffering.

For barely two months ago she was going after Vancouver's pot shops as if she was the Minister of Justice.

And now she's going after people who take marijuana for medicinal purposes, and is trying to force them to smoke it, instead of consuming it in healthier ways.

Health Minister ‘outraged’ by Supreme Court ruling on medical marijuana - The Globe and Mail

An institutional dispute between the Supreme Court of Canada and the Conservative government reached a new plateau on Thursday after the court said medical-marijuana users have the right to consume the drug in ways other than smoking – such as cookies, lip balm or lozenges.

Health Minister Rona Ambrose, speaking to reporters, said she is “outraged” by the ruling, and she accused the Supreme Court of steering young people toward marijuana use in the same fashion as Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau, who has proposed decriminalizing the drug. She said it should not be judges but medical experts at Health Canada who set the rules.

“This expansion of a pre-existing court-imposed program to now include cookies and candies makes marijuana more attractive and accessible to youth and reflects Justin Trudeau’s campaign to legalize and normalize marijuana,” she said in a prepared statement.

Once again it's all about Justin Trudeau.

And to make matters worse, she's now attacking the Supreme Court.

In no other Supreme Court ruling of the past 18 months – including an end to assisted suicide, the striking down of prostitution laws and an unequivocal no to the government’s plans for Senate reform – has the government responded with the strong and swift criticisms that followed Thursday’s marijuana ruling.

Even though the Supreme Court's position couldn't make more sense.

Citing evidence accepted by the trial judge who first heard the case – evidence from medical experts and medicinal users – the court said that by insisting on only the smokable form of marijuana, the government was subjecting ill people to the risk of cancer and bronchial infections and precluding the possibility of choosing a more effective treatment.

And it's her position that couldn't be more outrageous. Or more fitting of her well deserved reputation as an absolute idiot...

Listen up.

You lost.

Your government lost before the British Columbia Supreme Court.

You took that loss on appeal to the British Columbia Court of Appeal and, gosh, you lost again.

The Supreme Court of Canada got involved only when your government chose to try, try, try again and appealed the Court of Appeal's decision.

You lost, seven-nothing.

That's nothing as in zero, Rona.

There's a message in that and it concerns the complete lack of merits of your government's position.

Three courts handed you your *** and still you can't seem to find it with both hands.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
"She said it should not be judges but medical experts at Health Canada who set the rules."

Why? They are not doing their own job correctly as it is if they think overcrowding is a bigger detriment to peaceful inmates that giving them a mould free place to be locked up in.

Inside one of Canada's most decrepit prisons: Baffin Correctional in Iqaluit - CityNews
Vandalized sprinkler heads allowed water to seep into walls. Floors around overused toilets were constantly damp. Mould was everywhere. So was the odour of mildew.
Holes in hallway walls attest to too many men in too small a space with too much anger.
“The wall is an easy target,” said Deroy.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I'm not following your post re; The Cons War on Pot.........

Outraged. Rona Ambrose is “outraged” at the Supreme Court of Canada’s decision in R. v. Smith, which finds that the Medical Marihuana Access Access Regulations (MMAR) that prohibit the consumption of medical marijuana in any form but dried marijuana to be unconstitutional. “Outraged” is Ambrose’s word, not mine. With this one word, Ambrose set Canadian media outlets twittering and it seems single handedly to have lost any credibility with rationally minded people in its war on drugs (if it ever had any).

In short, Ambrose’s reaction is ridiculous and clearly political. It’s designed as another attack on our judiciary and highest court in Canada. Using words like “outraged” subtly implies and infers that the SCC has done something they shouldn’t have and that with time Ambrose and her cronies will use their political power to fix it.

So we all know the result of the case and we know what Ambrose thinks of the result, but how did the SCC reach this result? What exactly is Ambrose outraged about? Let’s have a closer look.

1) The active compounds of the cannabis plant, such as THC and cannabidiol, have established medical benefits and their therapeutic effect is generally accepted, although the precise basis for the benefits has not yet been established.

(2) Different methods of administering marihuana offer different medical benefits. For example, oral ingestion of the active compounds, whether by way of products baked with THC-infused oil or butter, or gel capsules filled with the active compounds, may aid gastro-intestinal conditions by direct delivery to the site of the pathology. Further, oral administration results in a slower build-up and longer retention of active compounds in the system than inhaling, allowing the medical benefits to continue over a longer period of time, including while the patient is asleep. It is therefore more appropriate for chronic conditions.

(3) Inhaling marihuana, typically through smoking, provides quick access to the medical benefits of cannabis, but also has harmful side effects. Although less harmful than tobacco smoke, smoking marihuana presents acknowledged risks, as it exposes patients to carcinogenic chemicals and is associated with bronchial disorders.

Next, the SCC had to decide whether the prohibition of anything but dried marijuana for medical purposes, was constitutional.

Section 7 of the Charter states:
Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of the person and the right not to be deprived thereof except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice.

Does the restriction of only using dried marijuana for medical purposes limit the life, liberty, and security of the person?

The SCC says it does.

First, possessing any cannabis derivatives (i.e. marijuana massage oil and lip balm) means you can be charged with possession and go to jail. If you’re a medical marijuana patient using cannabis derivatives, the medical marijuana exception to the criminal laws against possession of marijuana will not apply, so you can also go to jail for using marijuana massage oil and lip balm. This means that your rights to “liberty” are engaged.

Second, your rights to liberty are also engaged because if you are a person who uses medical marijuana, you are not free to decide how to consume THC. The SCC supports wholesale the findings of the trial judge about the efficacy and safety of consuming marijuana in other ways that involve smoking and vapourizing. It also points to Health Canada materials filed by the government, which support these findings.

The SCC goes on to say that denying a medical marijuana patient a choice in how to consume his or her medication is not a trivial matter and infringes your right to security. Essentially the prohibition forces you to choose between a legal, but less effective way of taking your medication or an illegal, but more effective way of taking your medication.

more

Reasonable Doubt: Why is Rona Ambrose "outraged" at medical marijuana ruling? | Georgia Straight Vancouver's News & Entertainment Weekly

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Perhaps Health Minister Rona Ambrose’s sense of outrage about the Supreme Court decision regarding medical marijuana could have been better directed at her boss. If she had done her homework she would have discovered that the Harper government itself cancelled the research component of the medical marijuana program shortly after he took office.

Since he wasn’t able to obliterate the program entirely he quickly began the process of enacting barriers and demonizing users.

Ironically if he had known then that he would later learn to muzzle scientific communications at will, he could have let the research go on, comfortable that any unwanted positive findings would never be heard.

It is so like this government to be so easily outraged when frustrated, much like a toddler.

Steven Gaber, Toronto

Health Minister Rona Ambrose is “outraged” that the Supreme Court ruled unanimously that marijuana can be legally consumed in forms other than smoking. “This is not a drug,” she said. “This is not medicine.”

Such breathtakingly ill-informed statements coming out of the mouth of a so-called health minister is appalling. I wonder if she would be willing to repeat such canards to all of the children with debilitating forms of epilepsy who are helped through the ingestion of small amounts of various cannabis preparations?

Perhaps she could embrace one of these children in her motherly arms as they suffer yet another seizure, maybe offer them a joint?

Strains of low or no THC marijuana that are high in cannabidiol (CBD) have been developed and have proven remarkably effective at controlling not only seizures, but providing relief from neuropathic pain, PTSD, Crohn’s disease, and nausea as a result of chemotherapy, to name but a few.

The loving minister, however, appears to be wantonly ignorant of such developments to the point of unmitigated callousness.

Ambrose goes on to say “There’s very harmful effects of marijuana, especially on our youth.” Really? Would the good madame care to list them?

I applaud the Supreme Court and the wisdom of its decision. If only such sage reasoning could be instilled elsewhere, beginning with the health minister’s office.

For years, too many of our members have been unable to control their seizures with conventional therapies. Medical marijuana has provided seizure control for adults and children, some of whom have gone from having dozens of seizures every day to none. While more research is needed, these anecdotal cases are having a real impact on the lives of many people with epilepsy.

Providing families with the option to use oils and foods to take their medical marijuana instead of being forced to smoke or inhale it gives individuals already living with medical challenges an easier and more sensible way of getting the medication they need.

Drew Woodley, Director of Communications, Epilepsy Toronto

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Rona Ambrose, Conservative MP for Edmonton—Spruce Grove, in a press conference on June 11, 2015

The Supreme Court of Canada did not approve marijuana into a medicine. It found that prohibiting non-dried forms of medical
marijuana violates the Charter.

FactsCan Score: False

At a press conference later the same day, Health Minister Rona Ambrose reacted. She said, “they think that they can approve a drug into a medicine, without clear clinical scientific evidence, and without safety reviews.”

There’s an important distinction here. The Supreme Court did not find that edible marijuana products are medicinal, and did not approve the drug.

more

]FactsCan | Rona Ambrose: Supreme Court judges "think that they can approve a drug into a medicine, without clear clinical scientific evidence, and without safety reviews." - FactsCanada[

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Rona Ambrose likes to pretend she's a doctor, a nurse, a Health Minister, and a Justice Minister.

And has extreme views on marijuana and Justin Trudeau.

So I'm glad to see that the Canadian Medical Association has taken some time to correct her mindless ravings about the Killer Weed.

And made her look dangerously uninformed........

"We're hoping to provide some direction to policy-makers in Canada to encourage them to rethink their current policies around cannabis, to move away from prohibition because it doesn't work and has a lot of harms associated with it," Dr. Sheryl Spithoff, a family physician and addiction doctor at Women's College Hospital in Toronto and one of the coauthors of the paper, said in an interview.

Marijuana prohibition can do more harm than good, doctors tell federal parties - Health - CBC News

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
She doesn't seem to understand that she supposed to be the Minister of Health, not the Minister of Pain and Suffering.

For barely two months ago she was going after Vancouver's pot shops as if she was the Minister of Justice.

And now she's going after people who take marijuana for medicinal purposes, and is trying to force them to smoke it, instead of consuming it in healthier ways.

Health Minister ‘outraged’ by Supreme Court ruling on medical marijuana - The Globe and Mail

An institutional dispute between the Supreme Court of Canada and the Conservative government reached a new plateau on Thursday after the court said medical-marijuana users have the right to consume the drug in ways other than smoking – such as cookies, lip balm or lozenges.

Health Minister Rona Ambrose, speaking to reporters, said she is “outraged” by the ruling, and she accused the Supreme Court of steering young people toward marijuana use in the same fashion as Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau, who has proposed decriminalizing the drug. She said it should not be judges but medical experts at Health Canada who set the rules.

“This expansion of a pre-existing court-imposed program to now include cookies and candies makes marijuana more attractive and accessible to youth and reflects Justin Trudeau’s campaign to legalize and normalize marijuana,” she said in a prepared statement.

Once again it's all about Justin Trudeau.

And to make matters worse, she's now attacking the Supreme Court.

In no other Supreme Court ruling of the past 18 months – including an end to assisted suicide, the striking down of prostitution laws and an unequivocal no to the government’s plans for Senate reform – has the government responded with the strong and swift criticisms that followed Thursday’s marijuana ruling.

Even though the Supreme Court's position couldn't make more sense.

Citing evidence accepted by the trial judge who first heard the case – evidence from medical experts and medicinal users – the court said that by insisting on only the smokable form of marijuana, the government was subjecting ill people to the risk of cancer and bronchial infections and precluding the possibility of choosing a more effective treatment.

And it's her position that couldn't be more outrageous. Or more fitting of her well deserved reputation as an absolute idiot...

Listen up.

You lost.

Your government lost before the British Columbia Supreme Court.

You took that loss on appeal to the British Columbia Court of Appeal and, gosh, you lost again.

The Supreme Court of Canada got involved only when your government chose to try, try, try again and appealed the Court of Appeal's decision.

You lost, seven-nothing.

That's nothing as in zero, Rona.

There's a message in that and it concerns the complete lack of merits of your government's position.

Three courts handed you your *** and still you can't seem to find it with both hands.

Are you high? The criminal run weed stores are a f-cking insult to legitimate cannabis users.

F-cking disgusting to ride the coat tails of those who suffer with debilitating conditions.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I gave you a Walter because you have lowered yourself to ascribing someone's physical attributes to their intellect.

The classiest Politician we see these days is Bernie Sanders who refused to talk about Hillary's looks because, as he said, it's not relevant.......

A majority of Canadians are in favour of either decriminalizing or legalizing personal marijuana use, according to the latest findings of Vote Compass, CBC's voter-engagement survey.

This applies not only to Canadians overall but also to those who identify as Conservative voters — who have historically favoured a strict drug policy.

Vote Compass: Majority of Canadians support softer marijuana laws - Politics - CBC News

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Marijuana is “infinitely worse” than tobacco and its use should be widely discouraged in Canada, Conservative Leader Stephen Harper says.

The remarks come the morning after the federal leaders’ French-language debate, in which Harper’s clash with Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau over the issue of legalization was among the evening’s more memorable exchanges.

The Liberals support legalization; Trudeau argued during the debate that if pot were legal and regulated, young people would be less able to easily procure the drug than they are currently.

The Conservatives are vehemently opposed to the idea, with Harper saying that regulating its sale in the same way as cigarettes or alcohol would do nothing to keep it out of the hands of kids.

When asked Saturday how the Conservatives square that position with the fact medicinal marijuana is currently used by thousands of Canadians to treat a variety of causes, Harper said there’s overwhelming evidence about the drug’s long-term effects

‘Marijuana is infinitely worse’ than tobacco, Harper says as he encourages pot debate to go up in smoke | National Post

Not sure where Stevie would get the info that Pot is worse than Tobacco.

Oh wait, maybe from this source...........

Lynton Crosby, Harper's hired Australian pitbull strategist is a tobacco lobbyist.

Eight Things about the Man Hired to Save Harper | The Tyee

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
I gave you a Walter because you have lowered yourself to ascribing someone's physical attributes to their intellect.

The classiest Politician we see these days is Bernie Sanders who refused to talk about Hillary's looks because, as he said, it's not relevant.......

A majority of Canadians are in favour of either decriminalizing or legalizing personal marijuana use, according to the latest findings of Vote Compass, CBC's voter-engagement survey.

This applies not only to Canadians overall but also to those who identify as Conservative voters — who have historically favoured a strict drug policy.

Vote Compass: Majority of Canadians support softer marijuana laws - Politics - CBC News
thank you Tay for reminding how ugly I have become when i allow emotion to spill out of my mouth in a hurtful manner,i know it is lowering oneself to talk as I have and will,it sort of like a therepy session where words are meaningless if reflected in the right context.i thank you for pointing this out to me,it allows me to reflect on my angry view towards Conservative policies,i know i have issues,therefore i must reflect on my issues.i find when these actions are brought to my attention,i make personal development advances.
I know where my anger towards the Conservative policies stem,i believe i have a right to be angry,expressing it is something new to me,i have no policitical savvy on what is right or wrong,referring to someones looks is wrong in my real world,and besides i have no more then average appearance.i would like to think i have matured beyond impressions through the looks of someone or something.i know i have and as a mature individual breaking these milestones is a good thing.
I feel very robbed,cheated,about how conservative policies have effected me in a negative manner,but more so i feel cheated ofbeing an individual who has to hold knowledge on these policies,i lost my normal,innocent lifestyle by snooping into things which gave me some ugly information,I was very lonely for a long time,things have moved on since then,I still have flare ups.
i hate holding this knowledge of policies which are manipulative through different means and methods,particularly the process of awinformation collection,handling and interpretation,I feel like a freak holding such ugly knowledge
I did not like how the federal and provincial government treated the Mayerthorpe 4 families,little things like that make my blood boil,I can trace the interference of Justice right to Ottawa,what does one do with this knowledge?
Ms.Ambrose is just happened to be in the way of my anger that day,she truely does repersent what the conservative policies stand for,she exampled this by her voting in the abortion issue.so she is an easy target for me,i view her as a weak link of conservative indoctrination.Actually tay i surprised myself in my ignorant response,usually i am a women lover and suporter to all women in politics regardless of their political affilation,so this response surprized me,am I becoming nasty?which is so cherished in the conservative worldand besides we know Ms. Ambrose is far from ugly.
thanks again tay for pointing this poor response.

please do not put me in the same category as Walter.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Ironically if he had known then that he would later learn to muzzle scientific communications at will, he could have let the research go on, comfortable that any unwanted positive findings would never be heard.
Only if they were under govt employ or contract. Harper cannot control the communication of scientists outside of the federal govt.

Marijuana is “infinitely worse” than tobacco and its use should be widely discouraged in Canada, Conservative Leader Stephen Harper says.
Well, you gotta admit, it's not nearly as ridiculous as Bush exclaiming that BC pot was the single biggest threat to America, ya know, even after 9/11.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
Yours or theirs?
just cocaine use in general,address the use of same regardless if it is me or them,doesn't matter.
we have a problem in this country with cocaine use,but not once have i heard the word cocaine pass through our elected officials mouths.
for the record,i do not use cocaine,but i know many who do,as I know many who have lost their lives to cocaine,i did some information auditing regarding this topic.

some friends and i sit around and give the excuses why cocaine addictions are being ignored in this country,we come up with some funny reasons why our governement does not want to address the cocaine issues in this country,guessing has become fun.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Its ok they are running out of groups to divide. I spoke to a guy who has not
voted in over 40 years but he goes to the polls tomorrow to vote against the
King King Harper. Spoke to young people home from the coast many they
say are telling pollsters they are voting green but they are voting NDP to get
rid of Harper

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I cant wait for pot to be legal. After Trudeau screws up the entire Country I can at least get stoned without fear of being arrested. The pot will be free, right? I mean, I probably won't have a job and will need free pot.