Hate crimes down in Canada, but Muslims more frequently targeted

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Shocking.

I am shocked.

Hate crimes down in Canada, but Muslims more frequently targeted | CTV News
CTV News | Top Stories - Breaking News - Top News Headlines

There were 17 per cent fewer hate crime incidents reported to police in Canada in 2013 compared with 2012, Statistics Canada reports. But the numbers also reveal that black populations are still the most frequently targeted in hate crimes, and crimes against Muslims rose last year.

Statistics Canada says a total of 1,167 hate crimes were reported to police in 2013. The majority are considered non-violent, “mischief” crimes, such as vandalism, graffiti and other forms of property destruction,

Hate crime motivated by race or ethnicity accounted for 51 per cent of all hate crime incidents. Religious hate crimes accounted for another 28 per cent, while crimes motivated by hatred of sexual orientation accounted for 16 per cent of incidents.

Although the number of hate crimes reported by police declined in 2013, some aspects remained constant. Black populations, for example, were still the most frequently targeted, making up 22 per cent of all hate crimes.

Jewish populations are also still the most common target in religiously motivated hate crime.

There were 93 fewer religion-motivated hate crime incidents reported in 2013 compared with 2012. Decreases were noted in crimes targeting every religious group except Muslim populations, who saw 20 more incidents in 2013 compared to 2012.

The vast majority of hate crimes in Canada – 97 per cent -- occurred in major cities. But the highest rates of hate crime in 2013 were in Thunder Bay, with 20.9 incidents per 100,000 population, and Hamilton, with 17.4 per 100,000 population.

Hate crime data have been collected on an annual basis since 2006. Statistics Canada says the numbers presented in this study likely underestimate the true extent of hate crime in Canada, as not all crimes are reported to police.

In fact, it’s estimated that only about one-third of incidents are ever reported to authorities.

Hate crimes down in Canada, but Muslims more frequently targeted | CTV News

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
If 1/3 are not reported then the actual number is 3501 crimes, a rise of 2135 incidents

That's only a true increase if previously all hate crimes were reported. More realistically, as people become more informed about issues, they become more likely to report incidents, so the number of unreported incidents should actually go down as well.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
No, stupid person doing math, oops.
You're too hard on yourself.....naah! .........no you're not.............

How is it misleading?

How many lines about Joo hating would make you happy?
By making it seem as if most of the hate crimes are against Muslim, when they just increased and still, most religious hate crimes are against Jews.....That's How!
And It's not a first for you....

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
That's only a true increase if previously all hate crimes were reported. More realistically, as people become more informed about issues, they become more likely to report incidents, so the number of unreported incidents should actually go down as well.
I had thought of that angle when doing 'the math' but I was more interested in seeing what the total number could be. Even that brought up the question of how they determine how many are not reported is 1/3.

I like your logic about reports but would it hold water is complaints in the past were higher (80% reported instead of 66%) and it led to more hardship for the one that filed the complaint or it was eventually dismissed by the Courts for reasons other than it was a valid complaint. Word gets out .that nothing will come of the complaint then the number reported would go down would it not. I would hazard a guess that the ones that do make it all the way through the Courts work out for the richest of the two involved.
If that sound bitter there is a good reason for it and it has to do with lodging complainants with both the overseers for the medical and legal entities in our country.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

By making it seem as if most of the hate crimes are against Muslim, when they just increased and still, most religious hate crimes are against Jews.....That's How!
That's the difference between me and you, when somebody points out a mistake I take corrective action and then see if that alter my stance and if it does I make the needed adjustments. You can't do either, you are stuck with you programming that doesn't allow you to move in any direction at all. Why would I envy that trait in somebody when I would hate it if I did it?

Of the 326 religious hate crimes listed that was a drop of almost 100 across all groups except Muslims. That would include it going down with Jews as well. Not left unsaid Jews are more liklety to do graffiti on their own houses of worship and report it as a hate crime. Are there any bored Jews in Canada?

Jewish teens say they vandalized Israeli synagogue out of boredom | Jewish Telegraphic Agency
JERUSALEM (JTA) — Two Jewish teens were arrested for vandalizing a synagogue in the central Israeli city of Raanana.
The 17-year-olds were arrested on Tuesday for the weekend vandalism. They told police that they acted out of boredom, the Times of Israel reported.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
And how is showing a headline about something happening in Jerusalem, prove a point about a headline in Canada...
Man...you're totally screwy...you jump from one story to another....
I wouldn't be surprised if you quoted a bible passage...get off those meds, or double your dose....whatever works....................that's what you should adjust

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Well that's MentalFloss... he's a Closet Muslim like Obama..
Gee, I wonder who your favorite religious group is?
I doubt Israel wants either of you going to bat for them.
False Allegations of Anti-Semitism Lead to Faked Hate Crimes - The Bilzerian Report

In today’s politically correct world, the mere accusation of racism can be enough to discredit a person, destroy his business, and wreck havoc on his personal life. The stigma of anti-Semitism is the most pernicious of all accusations of racism because Jewish activists, reporters, and media owners have propagated the myth that some forms of racism, such as anti-Semitsm, are worse than others. The discrimination against Jewish people is even denoted by a separate term, which happens to be incorrect and racist in its own right because Arabs are Semites, but yet not considered important enough to be included in the meaning of the phrase. anti-Semitism is not the worst form of racism, but rather an equally atrocious form of racism. To suggest that the discrimination against Jewish people is more deplorable than the discrimination against other races is to suggest that Jews are more important than other races, which is a racist notion in itself. Racism in any form is despicable, and should be condemned, but accusations of racism should never be thrown around spuriously or for political gain, as they are today.
In 2012, 3 cars were firebombed in a heavily Jewish Brooklyn neighborhood. The cars had swastikas painted on them and the letters KKK. After capturing global media attention for the “anti-Semitic event”, a group of Jewish gangsters were arrested for what turned out to be an elaborate insurance scam.
In 2012, a Michigan State University student named Zachary Tennen was attacked at a party and had his mouth stapled shut. Tennen told the authorities and reporters that he was attacked because he was Jewish, and claimed that the perpetrators gave a Nazi salute and chanted “Heil Hitler”. The Anti-Defamation League immediately expressed their disgust and called for a hate crime investigation. After interviewing 50 witnesses, all of whom discredited Tennen’s entire account of the event, the police concluded their investigation and determined that no hate-crime transpired. Even the Anti-Defamation League had to acknowledge that the attack was not a hate crime.
The scariest aspect of the vast majority of these cases is the type of perpetrator involved. The fact that credible, “upstanding” professionals and university students are faking hate-crimes is extremely troubling. Without direct evidence to the contrary, their accounts would have been unquestionably believed. And if an innocent gentile were collared for the “crime”, they would almost certainly have been convicted. Given the type of perpetrators and the incredible luck it takes to catch these people, it would be safe to assume that only 1 in 100 to 1 in 200 of these fake hate crimes are ever exposed. If there are on average about 1,000 anti-Semtiic hate crimes per year from 2000 to the present day, then it is likely that about 10-20% of these are actually fakes. Surely these people are looking to organizations like the Anti-Defamation League, who serially mislabel people as anti-Semites, for direction and leadership. These fake hate crimes have real consequences, and it is hard to estimate how many gentiles have had their lives ruined as a result.

And how is showing a headline about something happening in Jerusalem, prove a point about a headline in Canada...
Man...you're totally screwy...you jump from one story to another....
I wouldn't be surprised if you quoted a bible passage...get off those meds, or double your dose....whatever works....................that's what you should adjust
My question was about any bored Jews in Canada. That is the only religious group that defaces it own property to garner unwarranted sympathy..
BTW you can't support Judaism as strongly as you (and Boomer) do and still claim to have no religious affiliation. A fact everyone but you seems to be aware of.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Well I seriously hope some of my letters that have gone out to the medical and legal parts of my not so fair city raised a few eyebrows and a few choice swear words. From your perspective it just means my insults have been way, way, way better than yours from the start and you don't know how to get out of while stilling 'saving face'.
I even showed you how to do that and you didn't catch on.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Are you daft?

Only you thought that it implied most.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
That's the difference between me and you, when somebody points out a mistake I take corrective action and then see if that alter my stance and if it does I make the needed adjustments. You can't do either, you are stuck with you programming that doesn't allow you to move in any direction at all. Why would I envy that trait in somebody when I would hate it if I did it?

Of the 326 religious hate crimes listed that was a drop of almost 100 across all groups except Muslims. That would include it going down with Jews as well. Not left unsaid Jews are more liklety to do graffiti on their own houses of worship and report it as a hate crime. Are there any bored Jews in Canada?

Jewish teens say they vandalized Israeli synagogue out of boredom | Jewish Telegraphic Agency
JERUSALEM (JTA) — Two Jewish teens were arrested for vandalizing a synagogue in the central Israeli city of Raanana.
The 17-year-olds were arrested on Tuesday for the weekend vandalism. They told police that they acted out of boredom, the Times of Israel reported.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Actually the article does make that point. Perhaps if they stayed out of the headlines for more than 20 minutes the ones not self inflicted would go down even further.
"most common target in religiously motivated"

What it doesn't do is clarify that 28% is about 1/2 of 51% of the hate crime total is against non-Jews but being higher it is the one that should receive the most attention and funding. Public funds to guard a Jewish graveyard?? Really??? Danger, is that like worse than living next to them in Gaza as Canadian Jews are very good supporters of the fatherland.

Quebec Anti-Semitism and Anti-Semitism in Quebec
Canada's Jewish community is concerned over the orchestrated vandalism on four synagogues and a Jewish school in Montreal, where windows were shattered on Saturday night.

With that being said why does a group that represents about 7% of the hate crimes (non violent btw) get to claim they deserve more attention and sympathy and 'protection' than the blacks who are the most targeted. Talk about butting into line, wow.

He said the authorities were dedicating resources to apprehending the perpetrators and securing Jewish facilities.
Saturday's incidents reminded Canada's Jews they too face similar dangers as other Jewish communities around the world.

Nice to see the quality of your posts increasing. Mouse is most appropriate.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,