Abolish the Senate

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Abolish the Senate

The newly highlighted imperfections of Canada's Senate have caused me sufficient concern to investigate somewhat further.

I am appalled at what this costs the taxpayer. For the past 15 years, the average annual session has been 73 days. There are up to 105 senators earning a salary of about $142,000. I am no mathematician, but by my calculations they earn almost $2,000 per day, even for days they don't attend.

What value are Canadians receiving for the over $100 million per year this institution costs overall? Personally, I feel sure our money could be used more wisely.

I do understand that it would take some time and effort to abolish the Senate. However, other countries have done so, why can't Canada?

http://m.therecord.com/opinion-story/5651914-abolish-the-senate

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Abolish the Senate

The newly highlighted imperfections of Canada's Senate have caused me sufficient concern to investigate somewhat further.

I am appalled at what this costs the taxpayer. For the past 15 years, the average annual session has been 73 days. There are up to 105 senators earning a salary of about $142,000. I am no mathematician, but by my calculations they earn almost $2,000 per day, even for days they don't attend.

What value are Canadians receiving for the over $100 million per year this institution costs overall? Personally, I feel sure our money could be used more wisely.

I do understand that it would take some time and effort to abolish the Senate. However, other countries have done so, why can't Canada?

http://m.therecord.com/opinion-story/5651914-abolish-the-senate

Well, when it benefited the Liberals, they would call it "a sober second thought" but now it isn't benefiting them so much so we just hear them whine like the little biatches that they are.

I am all for senate reform. I believe the conservative were the only ones to push for reform, so I blame the NDP and the Liberals for not echoing that push for reform.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
the senate needs to go....unfortunately the process to rid ourselves of this stone around our necks is considerable

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Harper promised as much and he's failed to deliver on that promise and instead we get to enjoy Duffy TV.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Harper promised as much and he's failed to deliver on that promise and instead we get to enjoy Duffy TV.

No such promise was made. Atleast not in the way that you are framing it.

It requires the endorsment of all provinces and all parties. not even a majority government can make that happen.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
oh for sure...although as you know, you won't have much agreement on this site with that view point ... mostly just apologists like the post above

and what he says is true about the provinces...it can't just happen

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle

Of course there are no liberals involved........right? btw, Harper got loads of crap thrown at him by you guys when he tried. Your memory is short?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
it won't just happen...don't know why they would vote it down but apparently getting agreement would be impossible

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
oh for sure...although as you know, you won't have much agreement on this site with that view point ... mostly just apologists like the post above

and what he says is true about the provinces...it can't just happen

Yes, I apologize for the lack of NDP and Liberal support for the senate reform that has been promoted in the past.

But I'm not apologizing for the senate that we have. it sucks. if it disappoints you that I'm not defending it, get over it.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
He most certainly framed it that way.

— "The Senate must be reformed, or, as with its provincial counterparts vanish. The Government will proceed upon receiving the advice of the Supreme Court."

Federal Election 2015: A Look At The Promises The Harper Government Made Last Fall

As stated in the OP, it can be done without the consent of all of the provinces, but that would require opening up the constitution and a lazy government such as this one would rather just get paid.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I have been in favour of abolishing the Senate for years. It has usually been the final resting point for old fat Lieberal politicians. Remember Trudeau Senior's rash of appointments right before he 'retired' which effectively put Muldune in office by scuttling Turner?

Now, which of the 3 parties has it on their current promise list?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

— "The Senate must be reformed, or, as with its provincial counterparts vanish. The Government will proceed upon receiving the advice of the Supreme Court."

Federal Election 2015: A Look At The Promises The Harper Government Made Last Fall

As stated in the OP, it can be done without the consent of all of the provinces, but that would require opening up the constitution and a lazy government such as this one would rather just get paid.
to me it's just double speak...he doesn't have the power to disband it

I have been in favour of abolishing the Senate for years. It has usually been the final resting point for old fat Lieberal politicians. Remember Trudeau Senior's rash of appointments right before he 'retired' which effectively put Muldune in office by scuttling Turner?

Now, which of the 3 parties has it on their current promise list?
is Duffy an old fat Lieberal?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Abolishing the senate will require constitutional changes, but it is totally worth it.

The senate has no actual function and it costs us $100 million a year!

It's the literal definition of waste!

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012

"must be" yes, I totally agree.

I just don't agree with you when you call it a promise

and a lazy government such as this one would rather just get paid.

yes, it looks like there were many

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Here's the thing.

With enough pressure now, this can actually become an election issue and that will at least get the ball rolling.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I agree.

He probably is.....now.
now that made me LOL for real...you are right there....he probably is now

No he is an old fat journalist. Certainly the current crop of senators is no exception but there have been far more $$$$ spent on old fat Lieberals than anybody else ... including Duffy.
time for all of the fat bastards to stop sucking off of the canadian boob

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Here's the thing.

With enough pressure now, this can actually become an election issue and that will at least get the ball rolling.

to me, this is sort of a non-partisan issue that every party should be in favor of doing. any party might support and any party might ignore it. that is what has happened in the past.

my vote will be based on issues where the parties are divided and will remain divided. things like gun control.

time for all of the fat bastards to stop sucking off of the canadian boob

100 million is pocket change compared to what the CBC costs us.

remember when the cbc ran an article on the PM spending 300k to fly some business men home. I did some math at the time and discovered that the cbc tears through 300k like it is popcorn. by the time the plane landed, the cbc had buttered and salted over 300k worth of popcorn.