Tim Hortons yanks Enbridge ads, sparks Alberta backlash

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Canadian coffee chain giant Tim Hortons seems to be much more comfortable serving double-doubles than navigating the tricky world of pipeline politics.

Facing pressure from some anti-pipeline customers, Tim Hortons has announced it will no longer be running advertisements for Enbridge.

The spots had been airing for close to three weeks on screens at more than 1,500 Tim Hortons locations between British Columbia and Ontario on Tims TV.

An online petition from a group called SumOfUs urged Tim Hortons to yank the ads, accusing the company of "shilling" for the oilsands shipper.

Tim Hortons responded to several Twitter users by saying it values the feedback and the ads will no longer be airing on Tims TV. The campaign was supposed to run for another week.

The SumOfUs group claimed victory after the ads were pulled.

"Enbridge was using the trusted brand of Tim Hortons to sell a skeptical public on a project," said Emma Pullman, a campaigner with SumOfUs in Vancouver. "Enbridge is going to have to do more than glossy ads to get social licence to build this project."

Enbridge downplayed the abrupt end to its ad campaign

"We enjoyed working with Tims and respect its decision," said Enbridge spokesman Graham White in a statement.

Alberta backlash

The move by Tim Hortons is not going over well in oil-friendly Alberta. Customers are pledging their own boycott. Politicians, including Defence Minister Jason Kenney, took to Twitter to voice their support for Enbridge.

Brian Jean
@BrianJeanWRP

Disappointed in @TimHortons. AB energy companies fuel our economy, provide jobs, and adhere to strict environmental standards. #ableg #ymm

"​I'm proud to represent thousands of constituents who work for Enbridge & other CDN energy companies," wrote Kenney, who represents the riding of Calgary Southeast.

Marketing experts question whether Tim Hortons over-reacted to the online petition.
"Enbridge, of course, is not just pipelines and oilsands; they are a whole range of products including heating people's homes," said Alan Middleton of York University. "Tims should have thought about that."

Joel @native_CDN

I guess we will also need to boycott Esso. #BoycottTims

Tim Hortons did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Enbridge's $7.9-billion Northern Gateway pipeline, which would ship oilsands bitumen from Alberta to the west coast, is a controversial project.

While approved by the federal government, the pipeline must clear several hurdles:​

• Meet 209 conditions; fewer than 30 have been fully completed.
  • Bring aboriginal communities onside; 26 of 45 have signed up.
  • Deal with First Nations court challenges.
  • Secure continued commercial support.
  • Satisfy British Columbia's conditions.

Jeff Gaulin @CAPP_Jeff

Canadian energy is good for all Canadians. It heats our coffee and cooks our donuts and fuels our cars and trucks.....

source: Tim Hortons yanks Enbridge ads, sparks Alberta backlash - Business - CBC News

!!! Boycott Timmies !!!

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Canadian coffee chain giant Tim Hortons seems to be much more comfortable serving double-doubles than navigating the tricky world of pipeline politics.

Facing pressure from some anti-pipeline customers, Tim Hortons has announced it will no longer be running advertisements for Enbridge.

The spots had been airing for close to three weeks on screens at more than 1,500 Tim Hortons locations between British Columbia and Ontario on Tims TV.

An online petition from a group called SumOfUs urged Tim Hortons to yank the ads, accusing the company of "shilling" for the oilsands shipper.

Tim Hortons responded to several Twitter users by saying it values the feedback and the ads will no longer be airing on Tims TV. The campaign was supposed to run for another week.

"Enbridge was using the trusted brand of Tim Hortons to sell a skeptical public on a project," said Emma Pullman, a campaigner with SumOfUs in Vancouver. "Enbridge is going to have to do more than glossy ads to get social licence to build this project.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/cal...nbridge-ads-sparks-alberta-backlash-1.3100676

Last edited:

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
fvck, I hate those screens... and every ff joint has 'em - you're browsing the menu, people in line behind you, and then it's gone, switched to some stupid promotion... "dumbest idea ever", I say in each one I go to... but I guess a lot of like-minded executive bureaucrats think it's best to keep up with the times than to really think things through, no doubt to the sheer delight of some fast-talking salesman. < good for him (but it's still a dumb idea... stick those screens anywhere but over the goddamn menu). /rant

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Hey, we haven't seen anything yet - there's a group who wants to ban all beef! There goes my source of milk!! Next it'll be pork, then chickens - hell, we'll all be eating grass soon.

I was never and had never been a conspiracy person, but by god, there might just be something to all this garbage. The elites want (aka Ted Turner and others of his ilk) have decided that the world is over-populated and they figure we should lose 350,000 people a day until the population is more "manageable" - Of course, he wouldn't be the first to volunteer getting "offed" would he? And just what would the "ideal" population be and who would it include? Just askin....

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Hey, we haven't seen anything yet - there's a group who wants to ban all beef! There goes my source of milk!! Next it'll be pork, then chickens - hell, we'll all be eating grass soon.

I was never and had never been a conspiracy person, but by god, there might just be something to all this garbage. The elites want (aka Ted Turner and others of his ilk) have decided that the world is over-populated and they figure we should lose 350,000 people a day until the population is more "manageable" - Of course, he wouldn't be the first to volunteer getting "offed" would he? And just what would the "ideal" population be and who would it include? Just askin....
Ted Turner for sure .

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012

"Enbridge was using the trusted brand of Tim Hortons to sell a skeptical public on a project," said Emma Pullman, a campaigner with SumOfUs in Vancouver. "Enbridge is going to have to do more than glossy ads to get social licence to build this project.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/cal...nbridge-ads-sparks-alberta-backlash-1.3100676

If anyone knows of a pro=pipeline counter protest, please share. lets get the word out that we won't tolerate this kind of bully tactics from a bunch of uneducated redneck anti-pipeliners

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I am shocked! 100% completely and totally shocked!

I had no idea that anyone paid attention to the advertising screens at Tim Hortons.

I think all these people are spending way too much time at the donut shop. Clearly they need to be on the internet more.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
If anyone knows of a pro=pipeline counter protest, please share. lets get the word out that we won't tolerate this kind of bully tactics from a bunch of uneducated redneck anti-pipeliners
Post #2.

That actually does answer the question lol

This boycott does nothing but reveal that the rightards are actually leftards.
Are only leftards allowed to boycott?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Because it's opposing a corporation or a private institution.

Did you guys forget your dementia pills or something today?