We Should Transport as Much Oil as We Can by Pipeline

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
TransCanada's Energy East pipeline project to move western oil to eastern Canada continues to face opposition from various groups. Most recently, a self-described alliance of environmental, community, and religious groups calling itself the Manitoba Energy Justice Coalition released a report claiming that the project would threaten Manitobans' drinking water.

The reality, according to a TransCanada spokesperson, is that the company takes extra precautions around waterways: It increases pipe thickness and uses remote-controlled "smart pigs" to detect even very small trouble spots before a leak can happen. The company, which operates 70,000 kilometres of pipelines, has never had a large-scale integrity leak on its oil lines.

Just about every aspect of our lives involves a certain amount of risk, of course. It's all about risk management. And indeed, despite the occasional high-profile accident like last week's spill in California, pipelines in general remain very safe.

These are some pretty reassuring facts, especially when you consider the realistic alternatives. Notably, reducing our use of oil dramatically in the short to medium term is not a realistic option, as Canadians are unwilling to pay the price that such an accelerated transition would cost. Barely 12 per cent are willing to pay the extra $1,500 a year per household that it would cost to reduce oil consumption by just 20 per cent.

One realistic alternative to transporting Canadian oil by pipeline is transporting that same oil by train or by truck. Yet both of these methods of transport are less safe than pipelines. Logically, then, we should transport as much oil as we can by pipe, and as little as possible by rail or road.

The other realistic alternative is to import oil by tanker from abroad. Historically, as former Ambassador to the United States Derek Burney pointed out in a recent talk in Montreal, the central and eastern Canadian markets have imported around 650,000 barrels per day. Even at $50 a barrel, that oil comes at a cost of about $12 billion a year.

Now, I don't have any problem with international trade. On the contrary, I'm all for it, if it makes economic sense. If a trade is voluntary, then it's generally positive sum, which means that both parties benefit, and this remains true whether they're located across the street from each other or across the planet.

But in this case, as Mr. Burney reminds us, there is the further consideration that much of the oil we import comes from countries like Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, and Angola. These are far from models of democracy, and the money paid for the oil we get from them goes right into their governments' coffers, since oil is owned by the state in these places.

I'm not suggesting we cut off trade with these countries. But when we have abundant supplies of oil in our own backyard, their lack of democratic institutions is one more argument in favour of making it easier to ship Canadian oil from west to east.

We Should Transport as Much Oil as We Can by PipelineÂ*|Â*Michel Kelly-Gagnon

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I wonder if the Manitoba Energy Justice Coalition released any reports detailing how train derailments will affect the quality of drinking water?

... That's right, I forgot that the rail lines are already in place and this group can't extort any cash from the railways for approvals

My bad

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It is fine to have environmental concerns, that helps put the line in the safest location. Depriving eastern Canada oil and gas from the cheapest market should be something that comes back as a fine on the protesting group. The lines help Manitoba in that they have buyers for the crops they have. Cut energy to the east and there goes a customer for (some) grain.

The part that seems to be the scam is in the oil we import. Financially it would make more sense to develop our oil and gas so we were exporters after we serviced our whole Nation with local products. That will never happen as transporting goodies around needlessly is how the prices get jacked up so much. The bull in the advertising would be along the same lines as the coal industry in the US. They have huge reserves and the technology to mine it so they are not an importer of coal. The coal they get from South America is said to be needed so the coal plants run at the cleanest they can. The coal is imported to boost sales in the international companies that run the coal mines in South America and without sales to the US there would be no need for big industries in places where the demand is low. The US mines get jacked out of work as the extra coal could easily be mined. The ones making the money are the ones that needlessly move 'coal' from SA to burn in NA at the same plants that are beside a mountain of coal.

Manitoba would be hooped if the lines running east are allowed to die out as the product would go south into the US and then north into Ontario and Quebec and then back west into Manitoba who would be at the end of the line rather than having access from being the 1st potential customers rather than the last.

Any lines going east is a waste of money if the east is destined to be snow covered more than it is not in just the next few years. If we can't get the right data on that then why would any environmental study be viewed as being anything other than a contrived document. (like most are)

The primitives don't like progress.
More likely somebody wants the lines to go in a different route to reach eastern Canada.

I wonder if the Manitoba Energy Justice Coalition released any reports detailing how train derailments will affect the quality of drinking water?

... That's right, I forgot that the rail lines are already in place and this group can't extort any cash from the railways for approvals

My bad
Canada should build a hi-speed rail line and put a pipeline under it, call it the 'Arrow II' just for the hell of it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Ever think that maybe it is better to expand current refineries that are on the Energy East line that already supply 'Merica with finished fuel? Who is importing finished?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
As chairman of Calgary-based North West Upgrading (NWU), he’s overseeing construction of a $5-billion oil sands upgrader outside of Edmonton that will process 55,000 barrels of bitumen per day in partnership with Canadian Natural Resources (CNR) and the Alberta government, converting heavy crude into diesel fuel for the Canadian market.

What a waste when we have oil that is easily converted into diesel. The heavy crude could be shipped east by rail and at 'room temp' it is spill proof even if the rail car is upside down. Running your truck on oil that should be going down as asphalt is sheer stupidity that can't be accidental.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Somebody needs to continue thinking ahead and still build more!!!

Another in Alberta and BC. Alberta being able to handle the bitman.
Bitumen can already be upgraded in AB and there is no shortage of refining capacity to make fuels and petrochemicals.

We export sh¡tloads of finished fuel into the US already.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Bitumen can already be upgraded in AB and there is no shortage of refining capacity to make fuels and petrochemicals.

We export sh¡tloads of finished fuel into the US already.
I'm not sure Ontario will be all that pleased to know that products going south cannot be interrupted to ship it east if an emergency is declared.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Ralph Klein - “Let the eastern bastards freeze in the dark.”

Now Petro's is saying rely on the west for your fuel and heat vs a reliable source south of the border..

Eastern oil is imported and refined in Canada. Imported from Arabs , Commies, Dictatorships.

Fresh oil sands from the second largest tropical watershed on the planet.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
"Imported from Arabs , Commies, Dictatorships."
That is so we don't become self sufficient and buying it keep our revenues in the basement as much as possible.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You do realize the Energy East Pipeline eliminates imports from Arabs Commies Dictators and sources like the Orinoco watershed?