Most Canadians oppose communism victims memorial after being shown design

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Most Canadians oppose communism victims memorial after being shown design: poll
National Post | Canadian News, Financial News and Opinion

A large majority of Canadians — even among Conservative supporters — think the Conservative government’s planned memorial to the victims of communism is a poor idea, a poll has found.

Across the country, just 23 per cent of Canadians said they would support the Memorial to Victims of Communism “in its current form after they were shown design plans for the monument, to be erected near the Supreme Court in Ottawa,” the EKOS polling firm reported in a poll commissioned by the website iPolitics.

Some 27 per cent said they somewhat opposed the memorial and 51 per cent said they strongly opposed it. In the National Capital Region, that opposition rises to 83 per cent of people polled — 63 per cent who strongly oppose it and 19 per cent who somewhat oppose it. Just four per cent of those polled — both Canada-wide and in the capital region — said they strongly support the memorial.

Voters who identified themselves as Conservatives were slightly more supportive of the memorial than voters who identified with other parties. But, still, the majority of Conservative voters polled by EKOS — 63 per cent — said they opposed it.

The poll also found that the majority of Canadians knew little or nothing about the monument. But when they were shown design plans and given details, they didn’t like what they saw. The majority of capital region residents were aware of the memorial, which has been dogged by controversy.

When asked to rank a list of new facilities “to showcase Canada’s National Capital Region,” respondents ranked a memorial to the victims of communism last out of five possibilities. A national Holocaust monument, which the federal government is also building, came in second last. A national library “on a grand scale” and a memorial for historical injustices against Aboriginal peoples were the top two picks of respondents.

Defence Minister Jason Kenney recently said the monument, which will get $3 million in taxpayer support, is “strongly supported by Canadian ethno-cultural communities representing some eight million Canadians” and deserves a high-profile location.

Its planned location on a 5,000 square metre site on Wellington Street southwest of the Supreme Court is a major point of contention with numerous groups that oppose it.

Rideau-Rockcliffe Coun. Tobi Nussbaum said he plans to introduce a motion at Ottawa Council to formally request the federal government move the memorial.

Its planned location is on land that has long been reserved for a new judicial building. Mayor Jim Watson has been vocal in his opposition to locating the victims of communism memorial on what is supposed to be part of a so-called judicial triad. The mayor has said he is unaware of any public consultation on what amounts to a significant change to the long-term vision for the capital, something the city supports.

The National Capital Commission’s advisory committee on planning and design has had concerns about both the location and design of the memorial. Other groups, including the Royal Architecture Institute of Canada, the Canadian Society of Landscape Architects and the Ontario Association of Architects, have also expressed concern that the proposed location for the memorial will violate the guiding principles of the government’s plan.

In March, Canadian Heritage said the groundbreaking for the $5.5-million memorial would take place this summer. The National Capital Commission has since said that its board of directors would likely not approve the design until as late as September. Construction could not begin before then, although preliminary site work could go ahead.

Most Canadians oppose communism victims memorial after being shown design: poll

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC

This is what it looks like.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I can honestly say I am indifferent to it. Can't see a need for it but I remember in the Lieberal years spending millions on an art exhibit containing feces which was less appealing. If it makes Lieberals like MF squirm, let's build 2.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Why stop there, there are lots of massacres that should be remembered rather than just one or two. All or none so so say.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Why stop there, there are lots of massacres that should be remembered rather than just one or two. All or none so so say.

What a nation chooses to memorialize and how it chooses to memorialize reflects that nation's values. Canada is a nation that has been in an identity crisis since its beginning. The victims of communism were chosen as people worthy of commemoration because the Conservative party wants to define Canada as anti-communist both in the future and retroactively. Because commemoration is part of an ideological battle, this monument's message extends - by the rhetorical association with the left - to the Conservatives political opponents. They are saying "we are anti-communists, we honour communists victims and our opponents do not". If you want to challenge that in the future, you have a sombre monolith to contend with. It will be written in stone.

We don't memorialize all victims. We memorialize those that will push a political agenda. Either sincerely or insincerely, we do this to assert or define our identity.

Personally, it makes sense that we commemorate the victims of Canada's cold war enemies. It is how we defined ourselves at the time, and presumably still do. It's political posturing and that's what state monuments are for.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
To me this kind of puts the focus on having an enemy rather than promoting Canadian values.

Monuments should really be about the benefits of democracy instead of the failure of other systems of government.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
To me this kind of puts the focus on having an enemy rather than promoting Canadian values.

Monuments should really be about the benefits of democracy instead of the failure of other systems of government.
yes I like that

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Yes, the Cold War is an important part of our history but no, it is not central enough to our history for such a central location in our capital.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC

There are triumphal monuments and memorializing monuments. States will erect monuments to victories or, as you suggest, celebrating the "benefits" of their government (i.e. glorifying the state). But states also erect monuments to remember tragedy and honour victims. Ostensibly that is what this monument is, but it's also implicitly triumphal.I don't see what's wrong with a negative monuments and I can't think of anything positive to do with Canadian democracy worthy of memorializing.

Yes, the Cold War is an important part of our history but no, it is not central enough to our history for such a central location in our capital.

I think it is. The cold war is the third act of the Canadian imperial narrative. Canada's history is that of an imperial functionary in an economic system of global exploitation. One feature that distinguished Leninism from Marxism is the theory that 19th century European imperialism was the last stage of capitalism. Obviously he was wrong, but the Cold War is an extension of that ideology: the battle between mature global capitalism and emerging communism. Canada's history as a colony, then a proper imperial satellite, and then a defender of the system that grew out of imperialism through to the present is all part of the same narrative, not a blip. If Canada wants to assert itself in the role it's played then the Cold War needs to be included.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
There are triumphal monuments and memorializing monuments. States will erect monuments to victories or, as you suggest, celebrating the "benefits" of their government (i.e. glorifying the state). But states also erect monuments to remember tragedy and honour victims. Ostensibly that is what this monument is, but it's also implicitly triumphal.I don't see what's wrong with a negative monuments and I can't think of anything positive to do with Canadian democracy worthy of memorializing.

I think it is. The cold war is the third act of the Canadian imperial narrative. Canada's history is that of an imperial functionary in an economic system of global exploitation. One feature that distinguished Leninism from Marxism is the theory that 19th century European imperialism was the last stage of capitalism. Obviously he was wrong, but the Cold War is an extension of that ideology: the battle between mature global capitalism and emerging communism. Canada's history as a colony, then a proper imperial satellite, and then a defender of the system that grew out of imperialism through to the present is all part of the same narrative, not a blip. If Canada wants to assert itself in the role it's played then the Cold War needs to be included.

Sure, include it. I am a military veteran of the Cold War and I consider it to be important, as well. Memorializing it in the very middle of our capital is OTT though and it is a sap to Eastern European voters just before an election. I don't expect to have a Holocaust memorial on the front lawn of our Supreme Court, either, or a memorial to interned Japanese, Italians, Ukrainians, Germans, Metis or anyone else with a beef however legitimate it may be.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The federal Liberals won’t fund the Victims of Communism or Mother Canada monuments, sources tell Global News.

Both were public-private ventures that garnered the support of former Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s Conservative government.

The $6-million monument’s design also came under fire for its lack of structural safety and “negative symbolism.”

The Liberals may offer an alternative location but won’t be putting forward half the cost, which the feds were originally going to do.

A lack of federal funding could also jeopardize the Mother Canada statue, a tribute to Canadian soldiers who didn’t return home from war. The 24-metre granite statue, spearheaded by the Never Forgotten National Memorial Foundation, was already struggling to raise the estimated $25 million in required funding.

No public funding for Victims of Communism, Mother Canada monuments | Globalnews.ca

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The Liberal government is pressing ahead with a controversial monument to victims of communism – but it will be redesigned and built farther west of Parliament Hill than originally planned.

Canadian Heritage Minister Mélanie Joly announced Thursday that the monument will instead be built at the Garden of the Provinces and Territories, which is a plot of green space on the south side of Wellington Street farther west than the original location

The government will now hold consultations on a new design. The federal budget for the project has been reduced to $1.5-million, which will be matched by private donations, for a total budget of $3-million.

The previous Conservative government had promised $3-million in federal funds and expected the total cost to exceed $5-million. As a result, new proposals are expected to be considerably smaller than what has been proposed to date.

Liberals move controversial anti-communism monument away from Supreme Court - The Globe and Mail

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The living memorializing the dead is funny to you?

Yes it is. The dead, if they could, would rise up out of thier graves at the insult of the capitalist funders of the communist death machines pathetic attempt to cash in on the plight of thier own acts of mass murder, while locked in war with the decendants of those same victims. What about last weeks victims of the same banking crime syndicate? What about next weeks victims?

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Riiiiiight. A conspiracy.

That's the way of the world man, get used to it. It will be featured in future historical tomes as the one determining factor of this last ravenous century or it will prevail and there won't be any future. You've pointed to the climate conspiracy several hunderd times but refuse to sit the same actors in other seats of power so you're selective as to the possibilitys the evidence suggest.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
When do the Monsanto alien/Jew hybrid babies being raised underground in Colorado get cut loose on the mankind?