Suspended NDP rookie apologizes to LGBT community for 'homophobic' image

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
oh dear

Deborah Drever, who was suspended from the Alberta NDP caucus last week after a series of social media gaffes, has apologized for her "problematic" posts.

"I am sorry that my actions were hurtful," the 26-year-old political rookie posted to her Facebook page Tuesday.

"My flippant attempt at humour backfired and I sincerely apologize to my constituents and to all Albertans for that. I am also sorry that I was the source of significant distraction from what should have been a time of celebration for Premier [Rachel] Notley and the NDP caucus."

Drever's troubles started almost immediately after winning her northwest Calgary seat on May 5 when controversial photos emerged of her posing next to a T-shirt emblazoned with marijuana leaves and posing as a victim of a sexual assault for a heavy metal band's album cover.

Deborah Drever appears on the album cover of the metal band Gatekrashor. (Gatekrashor/Facebook)

Then another image, featuring former premier Jim Prentice and interim Alberta PC leader Ric McIver, led to her suspension from the NDP caucus.

"I apologize to all Albertans for the homophobic statements contained in this image, which are completely contrary to the views of our party and our future government," said premier-designate Rachel Notley in a statement last week.

Drever said the image was a screen capture of her Instagram account from over a year ago.

'Never intended to convey an insult'

"I want to stress in the strongest possible terms that my comment was never intended to convey an insult to LGBTQI* people," she wrote in her statement. "I also want to make it perfectly clear that I know now that my intent doesn't matter. When it comes to discriminatory language or actions, intent is irrelevant when it causes harm to another person or persons."

An NDP spokesperson says the above image came from a closed Instagram account called 'drevfever.' (Instagram)

Drever says she is a strong supporter of equal rights for all Albertans, and understands the need for gay-straight alliances in all schools around the province.

She says she is dedicated to the job and plans to win the trust of her constituents in Calgary-Bow.

"I intend to serve as the MLA for Calgary-Bow, as I was elected to do, and I will sit as an Independent MLA. I am ready to work hard to ensure my constituents are well-represented and I will continue to promote the core NDP values of inclusion and fairness upon which I ran."

Members of the legislative assembly will be sworn in at a ceremony in Edmonton on June 1.

Notley says she will review whether Drever has a future in the NDP caucus next year. She asked the young politician to speak out clearly on issues of violence against women and homophobia, in the meantime.

"I appreciate the premier's past advice and will live up to the expectations she has set out for me over the coming months," says Drever in her statement.

Deborah Drever apologizes to LGBT community, vows to gain Calgary-Bow's trust - Calgary - CBC News

Scooby

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2012
Alberta
Kicking her to the curb was the only choice, but, what happened to the pc justice minister who abused and threatened his wife, would they have kicked him from cactus if re-elected?

Yesterday's news is gone like a fart in the wind

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Shows how little the NDP haters have when all they can find is a few inappropriate comments and pics by a 26 year old kid.

The people in her riding knew how old she was when they elected her, and if they had half a brain between them they should have known what was possibly on her facebook and the internet.

and as for the "homophobic" label, that's bullshyte, and any LGBTQ that found her remarks any more than a "joke" needs to get a fu cking life.

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
Kicking her to the curb was the only choice, but, what happened to the pc justice minister who abused and threatened his wife, would they have kicked him from cactus if re-elected?

Yesterday's news is gone like a fart in the wind

Like I said before, you can beat your wife, you can smoke crack with criminals, you can lie, you can cheat, and you can diddle little boys. All can be forgiven. But you cannot commit the unforgivable sins of making Islamophobic or homophobic remarks.