Study debunks benefits of Mike Harris-era amalgamation in Ontario

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Stay tuned for next decade when studies debunk the benefits of Harper's economic plan.

Study debunks benefits of Mike Harris-era amalgamation in Ontario

Ontario municipalities from Toronto to Kawartha Lakes amalgamated services in the 1990s and 2000s in an effort to become more efficient.

But a new study concludes that goal was not reached.

A study by the Fraser Institute, a public policy think-tank based in B.C., reveals the cost savings, smaller bureaucracy and lower taxes promised by consolidating of local governments have not materialized.

"In the late 1990s, the government of the day wanted to consolidate municipal governments in an effort to reduce waste and lower property taxes. While that may have been a laudable goal, it's become clear that those benefits never materialized," said Lydia Miljan, Fraser Institute senior fellow and co-author of the study, titled Municipal Amalgamation in Ontario.

The Fraser Institute examined financial indicators from 2010-12 and determined the amalgamation efforts actually increased costs like property taxes, public sector employee compensation and long-term debt. The data suggests "there was no tangible, financial benefit from amalgamation," according to the analysis.

The study concludes that the reason for the increases was the speed in which municipalities were forced to consolidate.

It found instances of costs going up when:

Local governments were forced to make hasty decisions about which services to consolidate.

Contract negotiations with unions were rushed, which caused wages to be harmonized upward.

Rural and urban services were consolidated, creating the expectation of better service from rural and suburban residents.

This all became entrenched, according to the study, with the "downloading" of costs onto cities.

..more...

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/tor...-harris-era-amalgamation-in-ontario-1.3087959

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
aw fussy you can fool the young'uns maybe

but you can't debunk cutbacks under Harris without considering Paul Martin's cutbacks to the provinces which necessitated them.

cause and effect, dude

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Mike Harris was a damn disaster.

In fact his legates in the likes of Flaherty and Harper were equally as destructive. It's what happens when you put a small town Chamber of Commerce mentality into provincial and national spheres. You get a debacle. Simple solutions to complex problems. You end up capitulating to global trading maxims.. and reductive logic of free markets and small government.

Harris was an incompetent sleazebag.

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
My wife worked in one of the Peel Region hospitals that were amalgamated into the William Osler Health system. The rationale at the time was that the three hospitals would share a common administration and therefore cut costs. What actually happened is that the administrations of all of the hospitals EXPANDED. My wife's hospital actually reduced the number of beds to add office space. The whole exercise was a boondoggle ... not entirely of the government's making, either. There is a fundamental difficulty with carrying out any sort of government services cutbacks. Those charged with implementing them are the very ones or level who need to be cut, more often than not. With nobody watching, a big change like that is a golden opportunity for empire builders and that is what happened.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I was reading this with a second of interest then I saw Fraser Institute.
Enough done Fraser Institute if it were TV would be like taking the word
of FOX

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
MY wife remembers "Rae Days"
Yeah.... They were inconvenient - mostly for the people who left early on Fridays WITH pay. A day off without pay a month - but they still had their jobs

His amalgamations of autonomous municipalities and cities as cost-saving measures was exactly opposite to his creation of 5 hungry bureaucracies of Ontario Hydro

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Mike Harris was a damn disaster.

In fact his legates in the likes of Flaherty and Harper were equally as destructive. It's what happens when you put a small town Chamber of Commerce mentality into provincial and national spheres. You get a debacle. Simple solutions to complex problems. You end up capitulating to global trading maxims.. and reductive logic of free markets and small government.

Harris was an incompetent sleazebag.

Still is.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah.... They were inconvenient - mostly for the people who left early on Fridays WITH pay. A day off without pay a month - but they still had their jobs

My non-unionized wife worked unpaid Rae Days. I assume that you are referring to the unionized ones, or perhaps it never happened that way but the urban legend lingers on.

His amalgamations of autonomous municipalities and cities as cost-saving measures was exactly opposite to his creation of 5 hungry bureaucracies of Ontario Hydro

I remember wondering if they would amalgamate my Halton region with the nearly identical (demographically, etc.) Peel region next door. They didn't try that for a number off reasons. It was their power base, for one and they dare not piss people off, there. The less obvious one is that they would have created one of the biggest governments in Canada, in the process. It would have been the fourth largest municipality in the country, at the time and larger than about half of the provinces.They had no trouble frog-marching Metro Toronto into a forced marriage but they were (are) a bunch of Commie pinkos who got what they deserved, after all.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
My non-unionized wife worked unpaid Rae Days. I assume that you are referring to the unionized ones, or perhaps it never happened that way but the urban legend lingers on.

I remember wondering if they would amalgamate my Halton region with the nearly identical (demographically, etc.) Peel region next door. They didn't try that for a number off reasons. It was their power base, for one and they dare not piss people off, there. The less obvious one is that they would have created one of the biggest governments in Canada, in the process. It would have been the fourth largest municipality in the country, at the time and larger than about half of the provinces.They had no trouble frog-marching Metro Toronto into a forced marriage but they were (are) a bunch of Commie pinkos who got what they deserved, after all.

The way I see it is if the worst dirty laundry you can find on Rae is days named for him, he couldn't have been that bad. His biggest problem was he wasn't far enough left to please the unions