Khadr to Harper: Sorry to disappoint you


mentalfloss
#1


Stephen Harper keeps his comments brief on Omar Khadr

Prime Minister Stephen Harper is sounding unrepentant about his Conservative government's failed efforts to keep Omar Khadr behind bars.

Harper said Khadr pleaded guilty to serious crimes, including murder. Harper said his thoughts and prayers are with the family of U.S. Sgt. Christopher Speer.

Khadr, now 28, pleaded guilty in 2010 to throwing the hand grenade that killed Speer, a special forces soldier, during a firefight in Afghanistan in 2002.

Harper said he won't say anything further, since the matter remains before the courts. He was asked about Khadr's release Friday at a joint press conference on Parliament Hill with Philippine's visiting president, Benigno Aquino.

Khadr spent almost 13 years behind bars — four of them as a convicted war criminal.

He was captured, badly wounded, by American forces in Afghanistan in July 2002, when he was 15 years old. At one time, he was the youngest prisoner at the American prison compound in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

After his release on bail Thursday, he offered a comment on Harper's hard-line stance:

"I'm going to have to disappoint [Harper], I'm better than the person he thinks I am."

The 28-year-old walked free after an Alberta judge rejected a last-ditch attempt by the federal government to block his release.

Appeal Court Justice Myra Bielby said the government had failed to prove his release would cause serious harm to Canadian interests or pose a risk to the public.

The government expressed disappointment.

His release came with a list of restrictions including a curfew and wearing a tracking bracelet.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/st...hadr-1.3066604
Last edited by mentalfloss; May 8th, 2015 at 11:55 AM..
 
gore0bsessed
+8 / -4
#2  Top Rated Post
american soldier dies invading another country, but the child is the terrorist.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#3
I don't think he will actually disappoint.
 
XF1
Free Thinker
+4 / -1
#4
A Canadian young offender pleads guilty under extreme duress and in the face of circumstantial evidence and is held in some of the worst prisons in the world for a period of time that is much longer than young offender sentencing requirements for the alleged crime and instead of profusely apologizing for such injustices our PM stays mum?

For shame.
 
taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+2 / -2
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by XF1View Post

A Canadian young offender pleads guilty under extreme duress and in the face of circumstantial evidence and is held in some of the worst prisons in the world for a period of time that is much longer than young offender sentencing requirements for the alleged crime and instead of profusely apologizing for such injustices our PM stays mum?

For shame.

Our PM did everything he legally could to keep that murderous little bast ard in jail where he belongs. It is the far too liberal just us system that unleashed him on society.
 
Durry
+4 / -2
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by gore0bsessedView Post

american soldier dies invading another country, but the child is the terrorist.

The Americans were not invading another country, boy, are you ever dumb!!

Quote: Originally Posted by XF1View Post

A Canadian young offender pleads guilty under extreme duress and in the face of circumstantial evidence and is held in some of the worst prisons in the world for a period of time that is much longer than young offender sentencing requirements for the alleged crime and instead of profusely apologizing for such injustices our PM stays mum?

For shame.

Weather is great in gitmo, they should have sent that little pos to afgan to serve his 40 yr sentence!!
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

The Americans were not invading another country, boy, are you ever dumb!!

Umm. . . yes we were. The invasion may or may not have been justified, depending on your point of view, but when you send regular troops into the sovereign territory of another country without its consent, you are invading. It's pretty much the definition of "invade."
 
Kreskin
+2 / -1
#8
Can they force him to live with Justin Bieber?
 
#juan
No Party Affiliation
+1 / -1
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Umm. . . yes we were. The invasion may or may not have been justified, depending on your point of view, but when you send regular troops into the sovereign territory of another country without its consent, you are invading. It's pretty much the definition of "invade."

Wasn't Khadr a child soldier?
 
Scooby
+2
#10
Getting a little tired of the Prime Minister's obsession with religious conflict. I have not seen much effort spent by this government on keeping criminals of this level or worse than this guy, in jail. He is prejudiced against Muslims, and that's regarded as OK, because he's the boss. Well, it's not!
Federal elections can't come soon enough!
 
BaalsTears
+1
#11
Does Khadr regret killing Sgt. Christopher Speer?
 
B00Mer
No Party Affiliation
+2
#12
Khadr is a terrorist plain and simple.. I don't give a crap how old he was.. he was chopping off the hands and feet of his captures and carrying them around as trophies. >> Photo <<

The whole dam family should be sent back..

"Khadr to Harper: Sorry to disappoint you" Typical BS Title from MentaRetard..

'Give me a chance' Omar Khadr asks Canadians after 13 years in prison. (external - login to view) Well now he has his chance, until we see him shooting up the West Edmonton Mall yelling Allāhu Akbar.

Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

Does Khadr regret killing Sgt. Christopher Speer?

Yeah, Great question? Never heard him say he was sorry for his actions.
 
Durry
+2
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by ScoobyView Post

.
He is prejudiced against Muslims, and that's regarded as OK, because he's the boss.
Well, it's not!
Federal elections can't come soon enough!

Harper gave Arar $10 million, if this is prejudiced, how do I get prejudiced??

Yep, the sooner the election comes the sooner Harper can keep going and building a great country for us!!
 
Corduroy
+4 / -1
#14
What an incompetent government. Couldn't even prove that a confessed war criminal is a danger to society?
 
WLDB
No Party Affiliation
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

What an incompetent government. Couldn't even prove that a confessed war criminal is a danger to society?

When you put it that way it is pretty funny.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Wasn't Khadr a child soldier?

Depends on your definition of the term.
 
B00Mer
No Party Affiliation
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

What an incompetent government. Couldn't even prove that a confessed war criminal is a danger to society?

He's only out on bail.. don't get excited..

"Khadr will stay with the Edneys as part of his bail conditions.."
 
Durry
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

Couldn't even prove that a confessed war criminal is a danger to society?

Maybe they didn't teach you in grade school but you can't kill someone and say your a nice guy and you won't kill anybody else and then expect to walk around society a free man.

In our system, you do the crime, you pay the time!!

The criminal code does not mention anything about being nice and killing and then not having to do the time.
 
Corduroy
+2
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

He's only out on bail.. don't get excited..

"Khadr will stay with the Edneys as part of his bail conditions.."

He got out on bail because the government couldn't prove he was dangerous, which was my point. Whatever nonsense you want to go off on, that's all I said.

Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

Maybe they didn't teach you in grade school but you can't kill someone and say your a nice guy and you won't kill anybody else and then expect to walk around society a free man.

In our system, you do the crime, you pay the time!!

The criminal code does not mention anything about being nice and killing and then not having to do the time.

Tell that to the judge. Seems so easy any braindead twit on the internet can type it. Why didn't the government think of that!?
 
Durry
+5
#20
Since Khadr is appealing U.S. Government charges, he should be sent back to the U.S. to deal with them there.
 
damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+3
#21
First of all yes it was an military action against another country and it backfired.
The west too out Saddam and the regions only stable government. No he was
not a nice guy but compared to ISIS and the present government he was the
lesser of evils. This kid was there because his father took him there as a teen.
What gives any soldier a pass from harm in a war zone? Its a firefight, everyone
has weapons, a kid fells threatened and has a grenade. This didn't happen as
part of a bank robbery or gang fight it was in a war zone.
The more I hear about this case the more I question the justification of the action
by our government and the US. I am suspicious of his motives at this point but I
also have decided to give him a chance as our way in western society is also
about redemption.
 
B00Mer
No Party Affiliation
+3
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

He got out on bail because the government couldn't prove he was dangerous, which was my point. Whatever nonsense you want to go off on, that's all I said.

Go bleed, I just said he's just out on bail. Period. Nothing more.

He's not 100% free, he can now prove to people that he is a changed man. I hope no innocent Canadians become victims to further crimes committed by Khadr. Period.
 
skookumchuck
Free Thinker
+2
#23
Why will the progressives forgive murderers but hate conservatives? Is it because it was not their brother, mother, father, etc that was killed?

Oh and flossie, why did you use a black guy acting like an uneducated idiot to set off the OP?
 
Corduroy
+2
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Go bleed, I just said he's just out on bail. Period. Nothing more..

Actually you said "he's only out on bail... don't get excited.."

Don't pretend like you didn't meant something stupid and illiterate by that.
 
Scooby
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

Harper gave Arar $10 million, if this is prejudiced, how do I get prejudiced??

"Gave" 10 million? Are you referring to a out of court settlement?
A slight contradiction in terms in believe.
 
BaalsTears
+3
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuckView Post

Why will the progressives forgive murderers but hate conservatives?...

Progressives and murderers see conservatives as their common enemy.
 
skookumchuck
Free Thinker
#27
Flossie.........why did you use a black guy being an idiot to start off the OP? Does your brain work a little strangely?
 
Cliffy
Free Thinker
+5
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuckView Post

Flossie.........why did you use a black guy being an idiot to start off the OP? Does your brain work a little strangely?

Not as strangely as yours. If this kid was a criminal for killing a soldier in a war zone then every soldier who kills another or worse, an innocent woman or child or any number of the above, then they must all be criminals. So why are not all those who have killed in wars on trial for murder. Your argument is just plain asinine. Which also explains why so many people, including myself, think conservatives are not too bright, are mean and nasty, self serving pecker heads.

The US and "the coalition of the willing" did invade Iraq, they did murder thousands of innocent "collateral damage" women and children. They did terrorize many more innocents. Those who gave the orders to invade Iraq should be on trial for crimes against humanity. Why are Bush and Cheney still walking free?
 
gore0bsessed
#29
gfhh
 
B00Mer
No Party Affiliation
+1
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

Don't pretend like you didn't meant something stupid and illiterate by that.

Yes and we know you're not stupid, you just have bad luck when you think.

wwwyoutubecomwatchvSHGWKYCpMCI

 

Similar Threads

45
We have a right to see Khadr tapes
by Locutus | Sep 12th, 2012
no new posts