Jean Chrétien to meet Putin to smooth things out

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Former prime minister Jean Chrétien will meet Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow next week to discuss that country’s relations with the West, it was announced Friday.

Chretien will hold his discussion with the Russian leader on behalf of the InterAction Council, a group of former world leaders.

His visit comes at a time of increasingly tense relations between Russia and the West, particularly Canada. Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s Conservative government has been highly critical of Russia’s actions in relation to Ukraine and recently announced a two-year mission in which Canadian soldiers will be sent to train Ukrainian militia.

Chrétien is co-chair of the 41-member council that includes members such as former U.S. president Bill Clinton and former British prime minister John Major.

The council revealed Friday that in his capacity as co-chair, Chrétien “has arranged to meet with President Putin, whom he knows from his days as prime minister of Canada.”

The 81-year-old Chrétien first met Putin during his time leading Canada’s Liberal government between 1993 and 2003. He has met him “multiple times” since then, a source said Friday.

Harper has developed a frosty relationship with Putin in recent years and has used strong language to describe the Russian leader in connection with Crimea and Ukraine.

Jean Chrétien to meet Vladimir Putin in Moscow to discuss ‘current state of relations with West’ | National Post

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Harper is the reason he is bent over laughing. East Russia is the next wild west as far as new places to live where the grass is green and that might be year round in certain areas if weather patterns change. That would be for the better (greener) in Mongolia also so China would also be in expansion mode. I wonder if they will hire foreigners to build the new railroads?

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
Mr. Chretien doing humanitarian work at 81 years,this man continues to amaze me,he is a true Canadian.
I don't think travelling abroad for this type of work is always safe,I hope he has a safe return.
Rumour has it Mr. Putin is somewhat unstable,this makes Mr. Chretien brave,i wish I could go with him.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Cretin does not represent Canada or Canadians interests so what is the point of him going?

Would somebody put a bloody steak through his heart and put him back in the pine box already.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Mr. Chretien doing humanitarian work at 81 years,this man continues to amaze me,he is a true Canadian.
I don't think travelling abroad for this type of work is always safe,I hope he has a safe return.
Rumour has it Mr. Putin is somewhat unstable,this makes Mr. Chretien brave,i wish I could go with him.

Yeah, Chretien, what a humanitarian. He use dat pepper on eez plate.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Ah! I see the conservative types prefer war to diplomacy. No surprise there. Harper is a war mongering idiot. Someone needs to try to clean up the mess he has got us into.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Cretin does not represent Canada or Canadians interests so what is the point of him going?
he's in the old boys club so they have dusted him off and will send him forth

can't hurt anything more than it is already anyway, let's at least make the attempt

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I WILL NO LONGER
kill, maim or wound the innocent
I WILL NO LONGER
displace, kick out or steal someone's home
I WILL NO LONGER
aim my rifle at citizens of a foreign country
I WILL NO LONGER
fight in wars that are only killing me
I WILL NO LONGER
do something that my heart knows is wrong
I WILL NO LONGER
fight.
I WILL NO LONGER
encourage anyone to fight
I WILL NO LONGER
encourage wars that are illegal
I WILL NO LONGER
encourage my government to invent wars
I WILL NO LONGER
be a stupid pawn for foreign policy
I WILL NO LONGER
be an expendable for the military
I WILL NO LONGER
allow my government to use us for profit
I WILL NO LONGER
let them steal our lives and toss them away
I WILL NO LONGER
be a part of this murder and control game
I WILL NO LONGER
fight. - Luca Manjo

~ still taken from Youtube:
WikiLeaks Collateral Murder:
U.S. Soldier Ethan McCord

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
he's in the old boys club so they have dusted him off and will send him forth

can't hurt anything more than it is already anyway, let's at least make the attempt

They could do a lot worse than Jean Chretien. Can you imagine sending lyin brian?