At least 40 current, former senators asked to account for questionable expense claims

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
At least 40 current and former senators have received confidential letters from Auditor General Michael Ferguson about questionable expense claims, and one of them has been asked to account for more than $100,000, sources have told CTV News.

The senators were tight-lipped Tuesday when asked about the letters -- and whether they’ve been asked to pay back any money.
“There is a confidentiality clause in the audit,” Sen. Charette Poulin told CTV’s Ottawa Bureau Chief Robert Fife.

Sources said former Liberal senator Rose-Marie Losier-Cool has been asked to account for about $100,000. When CTV News contacted her by phone, she refused to comment and hung up.

more

At least 40 current, former senators asked to account for questionable expense claims | CTV News

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
This will make for an extremely uncomfortable situation for JT and the Liberals.

Chances are that the Auditor General is investigation Trudeau's many absences from Parliament whilst charging for appearance fees.

Odds are that he has double-dipped on those expenses

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
This will make for an extremely uncomfortable situation for JT and the Liberals.

Chances are that the Auditor General is investigation Trudeau's many absences from Parliament whilst charging for appearance fees.

Well seeing that Justin is not a senator he doesn't have to worry yet .

But we will sure be treated to a good showing of circle the wagons .

I am sure that these faulty expense claims will cross party lines .

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009

Audits aren't limited exclusively to Senators, hence the possibility of JT being investigated for his extra-Parliamentary activities that have the real potential of overlap

The same bad press that has followed the Cons and Dippers on spending anomalies will follow the Liberals unless there is a belief that they aren't to be held to the same standard and level of responsibility.

Judging by Justine's piss poor track record of putting his foot in his mouth, this will snowball on him

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Looks like somebody is infatuated with Trudeau. It's amazing how practically every thread involves him somehow.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
I see that you are haunting all the threads that have Justine mentioned.

Having all those Justine shrines in your home (mom's home) is creepy bud, and stalking a public figure like JT can easily get you in trouble

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I see that none of the cons mention that not all the senators are Liberals. How many are Cons? Oh! No! Mustn't let such thoughts in one's head when bashing the opposition.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I see that you are haunting all the threads that have Justine mentioned.

I'm flattered that I'm that important to you but it is a little creepy.

But seriously, let's try not to derail yet another thread. I'm sure most people are already aware how important Trudeau is to you but this particular thread is about senators.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

it doesn't seem to have harmed Harper, why will it affect Trudeau?

Looks like somebody is infatuated with Trudeau. It's amazing how practically every thread involves him somehow.
not quite...mostly it's Obama's fault, if not, well THEN it's Trudeau's

for sure they will and when they circle wagons there will be no party loyalty, just one big circle if needed, if not needed stones will be flung in the other direction

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
The Liberals are no different than anyone else in politics regardless of stripe... The divergence did occur when the PCs were having their Senatorial issues and the NDP and Liberals (understandably) took the opportunity to play politics.

Time has proven that all are in the same boat, so now the game changes to how do all the respective Parties provide damage control.

This is where JT does not have the experience and it may come back to kick him in the butt

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
A Conservative senator today bristled at questions auditors have put to her about her expenses, saying she shouldn't be expected to eat airline breakfasts.

"If you want ice-cold camembert with broken crackers, have it!" said Senator Nancy Ruth.

Ruth said auditors had taken issue with "a couple of times that my assistant put in [a claim] for a breakfast when I was on a plane, and they say I should have not claimed because I should have eaten that breakfast. Well, those breakfasts are pretty awful.

"I just don't think they understand anything of what it's like to have to fly around the world to get here to Ottawa."

From the Dec. 1, 2014 to Feb. 28, 2015, Ruth charged $5,799.09 in living expenses in the national capital region and $11,014.87 in travel "between the senator's province/territory of appointment and the National Capital Region."

Ruth lives in Toronto.

Some of these numbers are shocking. We want to know why there were no checks and balances at any point, it seems, when it comes to Senate spending," said the NDP's Charlie Angus. "We're hearing reports of up to $100,000 inappropriate travel spending. That's surprising."

"We'd love to get to work with the provinces and get rid of the Senate," said NDP Leader Tom Mulcair. "It's wasteful and it's useless."

Senator Nancy Ruth slams auditors over 'breakfast' claims - Politics - CBC News

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsxAYj3NXzA

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
'Conservative' senator whining about being served 'ice cold camembert'

dat Liberal sense of entitlement

Nancy Ruth Annoyed Auditor Expects Her To Eat 'Cold Camembert' On Airplanes

OTTAWA - A Conservative senator is miffed that she's being asked to justify claiming a meal expense while travelling when she could have eaten a free airline breakfast of "ice-cold Camembert with broken crackers."

That's the level of detail Nancy Ruth says she's been subjected to by auditor general Michael Ferguson, who is conducting a comprehensive audit of senators' expenses.

Auditors have asked some senators to clarify their expenses, asking them to account for everything from single phone calls to sandwiches eaten during committee meetings to postage stamps. And they've been cross-referencing daily expense claims with cellphone records and senators' emails.

Ruth said Wednesday that she's been asked why she didn't eat free airline food rather than file breakfast expense claims on a couple of occasions.

"Well, those (airline) breakfasts are pretty awful," she said.

"If you want ice-cold Camembert with broken crackers, have it."

Ferguson was invited by the Senate in 2013 to conduct the audit following embarrassing revelations about allegedly improper expense claims by former Conservative senators Mike Duffy, Patrick Brazeau and Pamela Wallin and Liberal senator Mac Harb, who has since resigned.

Duffy, Brazeau and Harb have all been charged with fraud and breach of trust; the RCMP investigation into Wallin's expense claims is continuing.

Ferguson is expected to release the results of the audit in June.

Some senators have been grumbling privately for months about the intrusiveness of the audit and expressing fears that Ferguson doesn't understand the nature of their work.

Ruth gave voice to some of those concerns Wednesday.

"Most of their questions are not very sophisticated, nor do they really have anything to do with Senate business ... If I eat cold Camembert and soda crackers, is that Senate business? Don't ask. I mean, they're really weird."

Ruth also said she's "a little bit" concerned that the auditor is imposing a narrow definition of Senate business, whereas she believes Senate business is very broad.

"I'm a feminist activist, so my angle on Canadian life is to look at gender-based analysis on policy and things like that. I don't think the auditor general particularly considers that Senate business," she said.

"I just don't think they understand anything of what it's like to fly around the world to get here to Ottawa," added Ruth, who lives in Toronto.

Most senators refused to talk about the audit Wednesday, citing confidentiality agreements they were asked to sign at the start of the audit process.

Conservative Sen. Don Meredith urged everyone to wait for Ferguson's final report before pronouncing on the process.

However, NDP Leader Tom Mulcair said the auditor general's requests for clarification suggest he's found some senators are "using public money as their personal piggy bank." He accused senators of trying to stall Ferguson's report.

"Canadians have a right to know what's in that report and they should stop stalling it," he said, renewing his call for abolition of the "archaic, expensive and useless institution."

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau, who booted all senators out of his party's caucus last year, said it's likely Ferguson's findings will further erode trust in parliamentary institutions. But he said it's a necessary step towards transparency, which is the only way to regain trust.

"I believe that the only way to fix this place is to actually open up ... and in order to get there, we're going to have to go through some difficult times."

Read More

Nancy Ruth Annoyed Auditor Expects Her To Eat 'Cold Camembert' On Airplanes