Ontario government worker wages and benefits up 47 per cent in less than 10 years

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
VANCOUVER—Spending on government worker wages and benefits in Ontario has increased substantially since 2005/06, hindering the province’s ability to balance its books, finds a new study released today by the Fraser Institute, an independent, non-partisan Canadian public policy think-tank.

“As the Ontario government prepares to table its budget with yet another deficit, now is a critical time to scrutinize all forms of government spending, and especially compensation spending, which has grown at a significant rate,” said Charles Lammam, director of fiscal studies at the Fraser Institute and co-author of How Compensation Spending Consumes Provincial Government Resources in Ontario.

The study calculates that between 2005/06 and 2013/14 (the latest year of available data), compensation spending by the Ontario government—including wages, benefits, and pensions—increased by 47.1 per cent, faster than all other program spending (38.8 per cent) and well beyond the combined rate of inflation and provincial government job growth (26.0 per cent).

“Ontarians should ask themselves if the jump in compensation spending for provincial government employees has translated into more or better services for their families,” Lammam said.

While the government has recently taken steps to restrain compensation spending, compensation spending is still responsible for nearly three-quarters of new program spending from 2009/10 to 2013/14 and it now consumes a larger share of government resources.

In 2013/14, the Ontario government spent $60.2 billion on employee compensation—or approximately 52.0 per cent of the province’s total program spending budget, up from 50.1 per cent in 2009/10.

Had compensation spending’s share of total program spending been restricted to the 2009/10 level, the province would have saved $14.7 billion over a five-year period and sliced $4.4 billion from the 2013/14 budget deficit.

“With the government expecting ongoing deficits, further restraint on compensation spending would help lessen the strain on Ontario’s finances,” Lammam said.

Spending on Ontario government worker wages and benefits up 47 per cent in less than 10 years | Fraser Institute

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Government workers pay has never been based on what the employer can afford to pay or what the job is really worth.In government it is all about equality. Except for tradespeople all are equally overpaid.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
"Ontario Government worker wages and benefits up 47% in less than 10yrs."

Anyone surprised? ... 3/4 of all Public Program Money goes to Public Employees...
Are the programs having a positive Impact? People getting what they payed for?
Apparently not. Just more debt and taxes.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
One of the Liberals election promises was to curb wage increases, so we will see if they keep that promise (lol)

nimrod

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2015
Fraser Institute, an independent, non-partisan Canadian public policy think-tank -lol-till i cried-(long history of right wing bull)
“Ontarians should ask themselves if the jump in compensation spending for provincial government employees has translated into more or better services for their families? (especially politicians pay-pension and perks)
Fraser Foxes are guarding the hen-house!They are not spreading chicken feed but chicken s&*t.I love all the statistics they provide and how they pretend they are not biased.Our whole tax structure has to be simplified and made way more fair.I have NO interest in helping Fraser Institute types and govt widen the gap between the lower classes and the upper incomes.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Fraser Institute, an independent, non-partisan Canadian public policy think-tank -lol-till i cried-(long history of right wing bull)
“Ontarians should ask themselves if the jump in compensation spending for provincial government employees has translated into more or better services for their families? (especially politicians pay-pension and perks)
Fraser Foxes are guarding the hen-house!They are not spreading chicken feed but chicken s&*t.I love all the statistics they provide and how they pretend they are not biased.Our whole tax structure has to be simplified and made way more fair.I have NO interest in helping Fraser Institute types and govt widen the gap between the lower classes and the upper incomes.

Facts hurt don't they? Do you believe government workers deserve increases which other workers are not getting? Are they doing that much of a better job? Can Ontario really affort this given that the Lieberals have been spending to make us broke?

nimrod

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2015
Could you not understand my words?I think the gap in incomes is too wide for most workers compared to upper levels.Do i have to repeat myself?A fair tax code and trimming upper echelons would sure release a lot of money from tax schemes and "havens'-legal and unlawful.My point-since you missed it the first time -is the upper class have caused the problem.The cock-o-the walks are pointing at the chickens as culprits but only a bird brain would believe that.