U.S. energy advertising blitz cost Canadians $24M

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Campaign to boost energy exports had little success, documents show

U.S. energy advertising blitz cost Canadians $24M

The multimillion-dollar campaign to market Canadian oil in the United States was hard to miss.

The Maple Leaf was plastered on the walls of subway stops in Washington, D.C., and it popped up in all sorts of American publications with messages such as, "America's Best Energy Partner," and "Friends and Neighbors."

Documents obtained by The Canadian Press offer a peek at the behind-the-scenes strategic considerations in 2013, as the federal government conducted a $1.6-million ad campaign in the United States that grew into a $24-million, two-year program that wraps up this month.

The records, released under the Access to Information Act, reveal:

The websites to be shunned as advertising outlets.
The internet search words that would trigger a Canadian energy ad.
The coveted locations for billboards in Washington, D.C.
The rejected proposals.
The U.S. ad salespeople who angled for a slice of the publicity pie.

..more...

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/u-s-energy-advertising-blitz-cost-canadians-24m-1.3004954

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
"The ads were there to help create the political space for a [Keystone] approval."

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Flossy doesn't want to admit that his 'victory' is less hollow because the exports have increased via a less eco-friendly option... That and the reality that 3 individual oil lines will be pumping Western crude to both coasts within a couple 3 years

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I'm not upset, except with having to explain such a simple concept to you and cap.

If the ads were for the intents and purposes you've stated, you might have a leg to stand on.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
You don't want to admit that 24 million dollars were wasted.

That $24MM was made up in spades on the extra tax revenues charged on the increased oil-by-rail revenues.

... Think of it as a win-win for everyone involved, AND with the added bonus of having 3 domestic pipelines being fast tracked.

I'm not upset, except with having to explain such a simple concept to you and cap.

You are upset... In fact, I'd wager that you are damn close to tears

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
That $24MM was made up in spades on the extra tax revenues charged on the increased oil-by-rail revenues.

... Think of it as a win-win for everyone involved, AND with the added bonus of having 3 domestic pipelines being fast tracked.

Lol

It would be a win win if we had that revenue AND we didn't waste 24 million dollars.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Next Monday 1500 more people start work on expanding capacity at the refinery and two upgrades in Regina for Energy East.

Lol

It would be a win win if we had that revenue AND we didn't waste 24 million dollars.

The environmentally friendly pipeline promotion was a waste?