Canadian Bar Association also thinks the Bill C-51 flawed

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The Conservative government's anti-terrorism bill contains "ill-considered" measures that will deprive Canadians of liberties without increasing their safety, the Canadian Bar Association says.

The bar association objects to the planned transformation of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service into an agency that could actively disrupt terror plots.

It argues the bill's "vague and overly broad language" would capture legitimate activity, including environmental and aboriginal protests — and possibly put a chill on expressions of dissent.

The most worrying element of the bill is a provision that would give judges the power to authorize CSIS violations of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the association says.

It potentially brings "the entire Charter into jeopardy, undermines the rule of law, and goes against the fundamental role of judges as the protectors of Canada's constitutional rights."

The association wants a sunset clause that would see the bill expire and trigger a parliamentary review no more than five years after its passage.

The association, which represents more than 36,000 lawyers across Canada, released a draft summary of its concerns Friday. It has developed a full submission drawing on the input of experts in criminal, immigration, privacy and charities law.

It also says:

— the expanded no-fly list provisions would introduce powers to search computers and mobile devices without a warrant;
— CSIS's powers would be expanded without a similar boost to already insufficient oversight and review of the intelligence sector;
— the bill is being rushed through Parliament without enough time for careful study.

Neither the new disruptive powers nor the information-sharing provisions apply to "lawful" advocacy, protest or dissent, but many critics fear the bill could be used against activists who demonstrate without an official permit or despite a court order.

Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney told the committee last week such concerns were ridiculous, saying the legislation is not intended to capture minor violations committed during legitimate protests.

more

Canadian Bar Association Denounces Anti-Terror Bill

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The Conservative government's anti-terrorism bill contains "ill-considered" measures that will deprive Canadians of liberties without increasing their safety

Social conservatives see liberties as a road block.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Someone could constantly monitor me every day of my life. As I do absolutely nothing that is illegal, I have absolutely nothing to fear from this bill .

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The Bill is a POS- No oversight on CSIS - wide ranging language that can scoop up a number of organizations.
When it is taken to the SCoC most will be thrown into the legal shxt pile where it belongs.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The only people that might be deprived of their liberties will be terrorists. And they don't deserve liberties anyway.

Everybody deserves rights. That's what protects us from government. I understand you like all powerful governments. We've had this discussion many times before.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
If only we gave every law so much considering, the country would be a better place for it.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Someone could constantly monitor me every day of my life. As I do absolutely nothing that is illegal, I have absolutely nothing to fear from this bill .
There is no way that anybody can go through a single day without breaking one or more laws. There is no such thing as a law abiding citizen and ignorance of the tens of thousands of laws on the books is no excuse. So, like it or not, we are all criminals, just some of us have not been caught yet. As Arlo Guthry once said, there is no hypocrisy and no discrimination because they will get anybody. No one is safe from the law and especially this law. You are all like the Jews in Germany who laughed at "conspiracy theorists" before WW11.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
There is no way that anybody can go through a single day without breaking one or more laws. There is no such thing as a law abiding citizen and ignorance of the tens of thousands of laws on the books is no excuse. So, like it or not, we are all criminals, just some of us have not been caught yet. As Arlo Guthry once said, there is no hypocrisy and no discrimination because they will get anybody. No one is safe from the law and especially this law. You are all like the Jews in Germany who laughed at "conspiracy theorists" before WW11.

Yes I bet you break a dozen laws every day. In your case I see why you are very concerned.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
That highlights another problem: the selective application of the law. Another is that the law is not applied equally to everyone. Most laws are there to protect the rich from the poor.

Only someone as neive as you would think equality and fairness for all was actually true.

How cute

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This is why this crowd needs to be thrown out of office. If these laws were
in place anyone who protests anything and stands in front of a pipeline or a
logging truck could be a terrorist. All of us from the sixties would have been
labeled terrorists. The bill needs to address the guilty and not the innocent.
Social Conservatism isn't about democracy its about taking us back to a new
Victorian Era with a measure of police militarized control of citizens.
That is not in keeping with a democratic society