Harper making divisive issue out of gun control

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I think we can safely predict his political strategy now.

Harper sparks controversy by linking guns and personal security

Prime Minister Stephen Harper, after years of cautiously linking gun ownership to farmers and duck hunters, now says firearms are needed by rural Canadians for their own security so they can shoot people who pose a danger.

But a spokesman for the Canadian Bar Association is urging Canadians to realize that they do not have an automatic right to defend themselves at home with a gun, and could end up facing criminal charges if they do so.

Harper’s comments are being promoted by the Conservatives’ election campaign manager, who says she is “proud” of how Harper said gun ownership is “important for safety for those of us who live a ways from immediate police assistance.”

The Conservatives are distributing emails to supporters about Harper’s recent remarks on gun ownership, in part to raise funds, and also to spread allegations that the opposition parties would restore the long-gun registry.

Harper’s unusually blunt remarks have already sparked a political firestorm that could carry through to this year’s election campaign.

On Monday, the National Firearms Association (NFA) applauded Harper for making a statement that was “long overdue.” The association said all Canadians — rural and urban — should have a clear right to use firearms to defend themselves against an intruder who breaks into their home.

“There are people who have experienced violence in their homes and it’s not just in rural areas,” NFA president Sheldon Clare said in an interview.

He said that when someone now uses a gun to defend themselves from an intruder, they undergo a police investigation, can face charges, and end up paying legal fees in a “process that becomes the punishment.”

Related

“I think that people should not have free licence to just shoot other people,” said Clare. “But if you’ve got someone breaking into your house and life and limb are clearly at threat, I think there is a need to understand the most basic tenets of English common law — which is a person’s home is their castle.”

But Eric Gottardi, chair of the Canadian Bar Association’s criminal justice section, rejected the notion Monday evening that Canadians have the legal right to defend their homes with a gun.

“It’s not true. It’s a common misperception that is much more true in the United States than it is here.”

In fact, Gottardi stressed that people should be aware of what they can and cannot do if someone breaks into their home.

“Deadly force through the use of a gun would never be justified unless that situation turned into one that was life-threatening. And at that point, you’re really talking about self-defence.

“At 3 a.m., if someone is breaking into your house, you might think that your life is in danger. But the reality is that if it’s an unarmed intruder and you blow them away, you’re going to be arrested for murder.”

Gottardi said much of the issue revolves around the proportionality of a citizen’s response. “If you bring a gun to a knife fight, there’s a good chance that you have used excessive force.”

Ultimately, he said, if a homeowner uses his gun to kill an intruder, the central question would be: “Were you at risk of death? And that’s the only time firearm use in your own defence is going to be justified.”

Earlier Monday, the opposition parties said Harper is merely stoking fears for his own political gain, and one Liberal MP said the prime minister might even be endangering public safety by possibly encouraging “vigilante justice.”

Liberal MP Wayne Easter said the consequences of Harper’s remarks could be dangerous if interpreted the wrong way by a gun owner.

“Someone who hears that might say, ‘Well, I don’t need to lock my gun up. I need to have it close at hand so that if somebody sets foot on my property and I think they are trespassing, away we go.’”

Wendy Cukier, president of the Coalition for Gun Control, reacted in an emailed statement to the Citizen.

“The Prime Minister seems to be implying firearms are used for personal protection against criminals which is not the usual purpose for having firearms in rural areas and is at odds with safe storage requirements that only allow guns to be unlocked if there is reason to assume that there is an imminent threat,” she wrote.

“The suggestion that rural people have firearms in case the police cannot reach them in time is not really consistent with Canadian law on lawful use of force but smacks of American arming for self protection.”

The controversy began quietly late last week, when Harper appeared at a public event organized by the Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities.

As is often the case in the West, he fielded questions on gun control. He reminded his audience that his government abolished the long-gun registry in 2012, and he spoke of how the Tories are pushing another bill through Parliament that simplifies gun licensing and stops firearms officers from bringing back a gun registry “through the back door.”

“It’s a tool that many people use in their lives, obviously in their livelihoods,” Harper said about firearms.

“My wife’s from a rural area. Gun ownership wasn’t just for the farm. It was also for a certain level of security when you’re a ways from immediate police assistance.”

That comment inspired an email sent out to Conservative supporters the next day by Jenni Byrne, who is currently the party’s campaign manager and who previously has been Harper’s deputy chief of staff in the Prime Minister’s Office.

“As someone who grew up in a rural part of our country, I was proud to hear what the Prime Minister had to say yesterday,” wrote Byrne, who was raised in the Ontario town of Fenelon Falls.

“He said that gun ownership is important for safety for those of us who live a ways from immediate police assistance.”

“Our Conservative party recognizes that guns play an important role in the livelihoods, recreation and safety of many Canadians. And we’re standing up for responsible gun-owning Canadians.”

Easter, a former solicitor general who is now the Liberals’ public safety critic, said Monday that this is not the message Canadians should hear from their prime minister.

“One thing that police always say is, ‘Do not take justice into your own hands,” said Easter.

“That position has done Canadians well throughout time and it’s a position we should maintain. What Harper’s statement could lead to is (that) the prime minister is almost saying vigilante justice is fine.”

Easter said the prime minister went “overboard” and — when synced with Byrne’s email blast — it appears that his comments were part of a deliberate strategy.

“They have waged several elections on the gun control issue. I don’t think there’s any question he is trying to play to a certain part of his base and inflame the issue on gun control again.”

NDP MP Charlie Angus was not available for an interview, but issued a written statement.

“You know an election is looming when the prime minister starts stoking rural fears about big government taking away their guns,” said Angus.

“Dividing rural and urban Canadians on gun issues has been the biggest cash cow the Conservative fundraising machine has had. They’re back at it again.”

On Monday, a spokesman in the Prime Minister’s Office provided a written statement for this story.

“The Prime Minister has made his position clear regarding the wasteful and inefficient long-gun registry,” said Rob Nicol, director of communications for Harper. He said this why the government introduced Bill C-42, which he said “increases safety by making it harder for criminals to acquire guns while eliminating red tape for law-abiding gun owners.”

Clare, of the NFA said Harper’s comments are welcome.

“We think it’s really something that he is well aware is an issue with people who would normally vote Conservative. I think he is reading his mail. I think he’s getting the message that people are concerned about defence as a fundamental right.”

Clare said there is an unfortunate “mindset” among some Canadians that “the police are there to protect you and you don’t need to protect yourself — just call 911.”

The problem, he said, is that when “seconds count” during a home invasion, “the police are minutes away.”

mkennedy@ottawacitizen.com

Twitter.com/Mark_Kennedy_

Harper sparks controversy by linking guns and personal security | Ottawa Citizen

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
yeah just when he sways me to his side on some issues, he repulses me on others

in actuality the guy is a d*ck, we just don't have anyone else

what a sad situation we are in as a country....rampant political corruption is going to be overlooked in both main parties because we are so feeble mentality we can't hold a thought in our head for longer than a month and

we have no quality leaders who are all about Canada, they are just all about party

and all about party means dishonest corrupt puppets

Last edited:

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Take that Harper

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
"Gottardi said much of the issue revolves around the proportionality of a citizen’s response. “If you bring a gun to a knife fight, there’s a good chance that you have used excessive force.”

I find it hard to believe that anyone considers that a fair exchange of thought. Even a gun hating liberal should be ashamed to make a statement like that.