Canada linked to ISIS recruiting

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
CSIS = ISIS

Canada's embassy in Jordan is linked in news reports to an unfolding international terrorism and spy scandal.

The federal government refused to comment Friday on multiple Turkish media reports that a foreign spy, alleged to be working for Canadian intelligence and arrested in Turkey for helping three British girls travel to Syria to join Islamic State militants, was working for the Canadian Embassy in Amman.

Reports also say the suspect has confessed to working for Canadian intelligence and was doing so to obtain Canadian citizenship.

The man previously travelled to Canada with the embassy's approval, said one report.

Yet former Canadian intelligence officials expressed doubts Friday about the allegations the Syrian human smuggler was working for Ottawa.

The suspect in custody is a Syrian intelligence operative named Mohammed Mehmet Rashid, dubbed Doctor Mehmet Rashid, who helped the three London schoolgirls travel to Syria upon their arrival in Turkey, according to Yeni Safak, a conservative, Islamist Turkish newspaper known for its strong support of the government. Other Turkish news outlets identified the man with slightly different spellings: Mohammed al Rashid or Mohammad Al Rashed.

Police arrested Rashid more than a week ago in a province near Turkey's border with Syria, multiple news agencies reported.

The initial police report says Rashid confessed he was working for the Canadian intelligence agency and that he has flown to Jordan to share intelligence with other agents working for the Canadian Embassy in Amman, various news outlets reported.

The suspect claimed that he worked for the intelligence service to get Canadian citizenship for himself, said various news reports. The Turkish intelligence service confiscated his mobile phone and computer, which were provided by the Canadian government, according to reports.

Computer records revealed Rashid entered Turkey 33 times with his Syrian passport since June 2013, and agents discovered passport images of 17 more people, aside from the ones belonging to the three British girls, Yeni Safak reported.

The Syrian agent reportedly received deposits of between $800 and $1,500 through bank accounts opened in the United Kingdom.

A federal government source in Canada said the individual arrested is not a Canadian citizen and "was not an employee of CSIS," but nobody in government has said this on the record. Nor has the government categorically ruled out reports that the alleged spy was working for or helping the Canadian government in some capacity.

Four ex-Canadian Security Intelligence Service officials said if he had any connection, it was likely tenuous, but after being arrested he had inflated his role as an intelligence source.

"I think if I had to put $5 of my hard-earned pension on the table, that's pretty much where I'd come out," said Reid Morden, CSIS director from 1988 to 1992. According to Turkish press reports, Rashid accompanied Shamima Begum, 15, Amira Abase, 15, and Kadiza Sultana, 16, to a Turkish border town, where they crossed into Syria.

Morden said he thought it was unlikely CSIS had recruited the man; had he approached a Canadian embassy, staff would have listened to what he had to say.

"I mean, never turn down a source of information."

Another former senior CSIS official said that when he worked overseas people would walk into the embassy "all the time" offering information.

He speculated Rashid was embellishing his connection to Canadian intelligence because he had been arrested and was trying to find a way out.

"The guy may be fabricating to save himself and could have been interviewed by CSIS in the past," said another former CSIS official, Jim Corcoran, who served as deputy director.

"On the other hand if I was still running operations at CSIS I would be trying to penetrate the groups, individuals and routes that are getting these so called fighters into Syria and Iraq." The official Opposition pursued the Conservatives Friday in question period over the alleged link to Canada's embassy in Jordan, which they noted is run by Harper's hand-picked ambassador.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The Canadian media is at fault the same thing happens in America but the government effectively muzzled the media in the Patriot Act. America has 10 times more cows than Canada yet they have never had a case of mad cow. The American people know when to shut the ef up and the polite Canadians they like to tell it all even at the cost of damaging the economy. America has more Muslims than Canada which means more potential radicalization by ISIS of the children but that information falls under National Security.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
CSIS = ISIS

Canada's embassy in Jordan is linked in news reports to an unfolding international terrorism and spy scandal.

The federal government refused to comment Friday on multiple Turkish media reports that a foreign spy, alleged to be working for Canadian intelligence and arrested in Turkey for helping three British girls travel to Syria to join Islamic State militants, was working for the Canadian Embassy in Amman.

Reports also say the suspect has confessed to working for Canadian intelligence and was doing so to obtain Canadian citizenship.

The man previously travelled to Canada with the embassy's approval, said one report.

Yet former Canadian intelligence officials expressed doubts Friday about the allegations the Syrian human smuggler was working for Ottawa.

The suspect in custody is a Syrian intelligence operative named Mohammed Mehmet Rashid, dubbed Doctor Mehmet Rashid, who helped the three London schoolgirls travel to Syria upon their arrival in Turkey, according to Yeni Safak, a conservative, Islamist Turkish newspaper known for its strong support of the government. Other Turkish news outlets identified the man with slightly different spellings: Mohammed al Rashid or Mohammad Al Rashed.

Police arrested Rashid more than a week ago in a province near Turkey's border with Syria, multiple news agencies reported.

The initial police report says Rashid confessed he was working for the Canadian intelligence agency and that he has flown to Jordan to share intelligence with other agents working for the Canadian Embassy in Amman, various news outlets reported.

The suspect claimed that he worked for the intelligence service to get Canadian citizenship for himself, said various news reports. The Turkish intelligence service confiscated his mobile phone and computer, which were provided by the Canadian government, according to reports.

Computer records revealed Rashid entered Turkey 33 times with his Syrian passport since June 2013, and agents discovered passport images of 17 more people, aside from the ones belonging to the three British girls, Yeni Safak reported.

The Syrian agent reportedly received deposits of between $800 and $1,500 through bank accounts opened in the United Kingdom.

A federal government source in Canada said the individual arrested is not a Canadian citizen and "was not an employee of CSIS," but nobody in government has said this on the record. Nor has the government categorically ruled out reports that the alleged spy was working for or helping the Canadian government in some capacity.

Four ex-Canadian Security Intelligence Service officials said if he had any connection, it was likely tenuous, but after being arrested he had inflated his role as an intelligence source.

"I think if I had to put $5 of my hard-earned pension on the table, that's pretty much where I'd come out," said Reid Morden, CSIS director from 1988 to 1992. According to Turkish press reports, Rashid accompanied Shamima Begum, 15, Amira Abase, 15, and Kadiza Sultana, 16, to a Turkish border town, where they crossed into Syria.

Morden said he thought it was unlikely CSIS had recruited the man; had he approached a Canadian embassy, staff would have listened to what he had to say.

"I mean, never turn down a source of information."

Another former senior CSIS official said that when he worked overseas people would walk into the embassy "all the time" offering information.

He speculated Rashid was embellishing his connection to Canadian intelligence because he had been arrested and was trying to find a way out.

"The guy may be fabricating to save himself and could have been interviewed by CSIS in the past," said another former CSIS official, Jim Corcoran, who served as deputy director.

"On the other hand if I was still running operations at CSIS I would be trying to penetrate the groups, individuals and routes that are getting these so called fighters into Syria and Iraq." The official Opposition pursued the Conservatives Friday in question period over the alleged link to Canada's embassy in Jordan, which they noted is run by Harper's hand-picked ambassador.

You simply can't be this stupid.

Using an intelligence asset for information does not mean you are in control of them.

Are you really trying to pin the girls being in Syria on the Canadian gov't??

So ludicrous.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
You simply can't be this stupid.

Using an intelligence asset for information does not mean you are in control of them.

Are you really trying to pin the girls being in Syria on the Canadian gov't??

So ludicrous.
Naaah! He's just hoping we are....
Even a dead minnow will fool a dumb fish, and I could name a few in this forum.....but I won't;-)

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Spy accused of helping teens join ISIS claims he worked for Canadian intelligence

An accused spy detained in Turkey for allegedly helping three British girls join ISIS claims he worked for a Canadian intelligence agency, according to a Turkish intelligence report obtained by CBC News.

Mohammad Al Rashed, a Syrian who purportedly went by the alias Dr. Mehmet Resit, allegedly helped the girls cross from Turkey into Syria shortly after they flew from London to Istanbul on Feb. 17.

According to the intelligence report, Rashed accompanied the three teens — two aged 15 and one 16 — on a bus to Gaziantep, a town near the Turkey-Syria border often used as a staging point by those looking to join ISIS. Rashed allegedly left the girls with "individuals involved in human trafficking" with the understanding they would be taken to Syria.

...more..

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/world/spy-...he-worked-for-canadian-intelligence-1.2993716

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
If that's the definition, then he should be seeing conspiracies everywhere!

Well, that is, as long as he takes the conbot blinders off.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I see how this works. Since he "claims" to work for a Canadian agency, then that means he does, cause there is no way he could be lying, right? :roll:

I guess this would mean that the Mossad agents that were caught with Canadian passports were also working for a Canadian agency, otherwise they couldn't have gotten the passports, right? :roll:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
You do realize that links and allegations do not mean we assume it is true, right?