Whities & Brown People

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Whities & Brown People

According to a Conservative MP, it makes no sense to pay “whities” to stay home while companies bring in brown people.

New Brunswick's John Williamson was also once a communications director for Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

THE QUOTE

Williamson was at the Manning Networking Conference in Ottawa on the weekend where he was commenting on this country's Temporary Foreign Worker Program. He was reportedly responding to a question.

“My part of the country, I deal with temporary foreign workers and the interaction with employment insurance, and it makes no sense from my point of view. I'm going to put this in terms of colours but it's not meant to be about race. It makes no sense to pay “whities” to say home while we bring in brown people to work in these jobs.”

Williams then posted a series of Tweets on Saturday to apologize for his comments. “Today I used inappropriate language.” “For this I apologize unreservedly.”

Say something stupid and racist, then apologize on Twitter. Does that mean it's over? Sadly, Williamson may get away with this one based on the underlying racism that still exists in this country.

Pundits are wondering how much this represents the Harper Conservatives. Is Williamson simply the tip of the proverbial iceberg? In an election year they'll need more than “whities” to retain a majority.

I was particularly amused by the MP's disclaimer that this was not meant to be about race but then put it in terms of “whities” and brown people. That IS race and therefore means it's racist. Is it possible he doesn't even understand that?

LEAVE COMMENTS

For Larry Fedoruk blogs and podcasts, click here.

News Talk 610 CKTB :: Whities & Brown People :: Larry Blog - Article

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
It's because they actually believe 'brown people' are to get them.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
If you use the words Canadians and TFWs, his sentimant is not incorrect. By using white and brown he made it about race.

In some cases it is about race. HD mining in Tumbler Ridge made speaking Mandarin a prereq for a job so they could bring in TFWs from China. Incidentally this is currently the only mine in TR operating.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
John Williamson faces heavy criticism after 'whities' comment

Williamson is facing heavy criticism after comments he made about the Temporary Foreign Worker program over the weekend where he referred to “whities” and “brown people.”

Williamson told delegates at a conference in Ottawa that it makes no sense to pay "whities" to stay home while companies bring in "brown people" as temporary foreign workers.

By Saturday, the New Brunswick Southwest MP had apologized on Twitter but the criticism has not halted.

Williamson is also being criticized by his fellow Tory MPs.

Tobique-Mactaquac Conservative MP Mike Allen told reporters that it was important that Williamson apologized for the remarks.

“It’s always good when someone apologizes for saying something dumb," he said.

Tory MP Deepak Obhrai, the parliamentary secretary for foreign affairs and international human rights, also had tough words for his colleague on Twitter.

He said he was “very disturbed” by the comments.

“Foolish statement damages all of us. Years of hard work down the drain,” he tweeted.

Williamson is a former director of communications for Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

The MP said in a statement that the comments are the biggest mistake of his political career.

The comments were resonating in his riding on Monday.

..more...

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/new...avy-criticism-after-whities-comment-1.2988674