Stephen Harper laying down the law for the real scumbags

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
life means life stupid

CBC News AlertsVerified account ‏@CBCAlerts PM gives details of bill removing parole hope for murders involving sex crime, kidnapping, terror, police death, extreme brutality. #cdnpoli

Justin LingVerified account ‏@Justin_Ling

If a 1st murder involves any of these, there's no parole: Kidnapping Sexual assault Terrorism Killing police/corrections officer

watch:

Live Video | 680News

http://www.brandonsun.com/national/...s-are-for-lifepm-harper--295019971.html?thx=y

and stayed tuned kids.

Stephen Harper says proposed bill would deny parole for some murders

Prime minister joined by justice minister for announcement in Scarborough, Ont.

People found guilty in some killings should have to serve life in prison with little or no chance of parole, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said in Scarborough, Ont. today.

Harper said the Conservatives are proposing legislation to end parole for those convicted of murders involving:

• Sexual assault.
  • Kidnapping.
  • Terrorism.
  • A police or corrections officer.
  • Particular "brutality."
Currently, those who are convicted of first-degree murder face an automatic sentence of life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years.

Harper said those convicted of the crimes listed in the legislation could voluntarily petition the minister for public safety for release after serving no less than 35 years.

"Decisions will not rest with an appointed board but with the federal cabinet," he said.

Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney said in January the government would introduce legislation to ensure people convicted of the worst crimes have no chance of being released from prison. He said the bill would be introduced before June.

Reoffence rate three per cent

Canada's prison watchdog, Howard Sapers, told CBC News in January that 99 per cent of offenders released on day parole last year did so without reoffending, and 97 per cent of offenders released on full parole completed their parole without reoffending.

Sapers said it should also be considered that Canada already has "a strong carceral response" to violent crimes. Offenders sentenced to life in Canada spent an average of 22 years in prison prior to conditional release — that's "as much or more time," Sapers said, than offenders in other jurisdictions, including the U.S.

Asked last month about the legislation, Justice Minister Peter ​MacKay suggested there were constitutional limits on what the government could do.

"What I’ll tell you is that everything we do, we do through the lens of the [Charter of Rights and Freedoms]," MacKay said in February.

"We have to be aware that there are constitutional limitations in some cases on criminal legislation, so we have to do it through that lens. And when it comes to denying someone any possibility of parole, this weighs heavy in that — in the balance of that consideration."

The House has 11 sitting weeks left before it rises for the summer, leaving little time for new legislation to make its way through debate and committee stages in both the House and the Senate before an expected fall election campaign

Under a law introduced by the Conservatives, the next federal election has to be held by Oct. 19, 2015.

Stephen Harper says proposed bill would deny parole for some murders - Politics - CBC News

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
great day to be a Canadian, well, unless you're one of those staying away next time.

Buh-Bye

By lance on March 4, 2015 3:45 PM | No Comments

If you can't follow the rules of society, then society shouldn't have to live with you.
The legislation fits into the Harper government's tough-on-crime agenda and follows through on a promise made in the 2013 Speech from the Throne.​
Can you say 'wedge'?

Update: The announcement.

This will include a mandatory sentence of life without parole for first degree murders involving: sexual assault; kidnapping or forcible confinement; terrorism; the killing of police officers or corrections officers; or, any first degree murders that are found to be of a particularly brutal nature.

The Prime Minister also recently announced the Government's intention to introduce legislation that would end the practice of making early release available for repeat violent offenders.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I don't disagree with that. While I do believe in the capability for just about any human being to change, I also believe there are some place so dark you just don't come back from them.

I would have like to see something that specifically targets crimes against children though, tougher sentencing.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Michael Den TandtVerified account ‏@mdentandt As I read the backgrounder and the Criminal Code definition of High Treason, a Canadian who goes to Syria to fight for ISIS, and returns..... could be automatically subject to imprisonment for life w/out parole. Am i reading this correctly? 'offenders who are convicted of the most heinous murders or those who are convicted of high treason,' backgrounder says. 'Or.' Not 'and.'

Here's the full Criminal Code definition of Treason and High Treason:

Criminal Code

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

That should clear out some prison space.

So would revamping the mental health system. Im not talking about murderers or rapists when it comes to that. But there are a lot of people in prison for things that likely never would have happened with proper mental healthcare.

As I read the backgrounder and the Criminal Code definition of High Treason, a Canadian who goes to Syria to fight for ISIS, and returns..... could be automatically subject to imprisonment for life w/out parole. Am i reading this correctly?

Criminal Code

Given the way things are going for ISIS I doubt we'll have much if any trouble figuring that out. If they come back at all it'll probably be in a box.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I have absolutely no problem with the Pickton's, Bernardos and Olsens and those of similar ilk being locked away for life. However, I would never agree with bringing the death penalty brought back - Boomer.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
it must be election time,the whole fear mongering thing works out here in Alberta,second would be bringing the abortion issue to the surface,this is an old faithful, and next would be the "high speed train" between Calgary and Alberta.Mr. Harper is so programmed, he would not know what else to talk about during election time.
i laugh because fear mongering is going to cost Canadians in the long run,big time,if one wants to make money,sell yourself as a security experts and such,it doesn't have to be real,get in on the whiskey and water gravey train of security,it could be fun.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I have absolutely no problem with the Pickton's, Bernardos and Olsens and those of similar ilk being locked away for life. However, I would never agree with bringing the death penalty brought back - Boomer.

DP does not work. To many mistakes. As to those like Picton, let the pricks rot.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
Do the Neo-Cons get a free pass?
Now don't get silly with name callling,
in reality you should be nice to the Conservatives and encourage every nut job to join them or even better to phone their MLA or MP,encourage them to join their Conservative riding,
one should not hold big emotion to the Conservatives,some of my best friends are Conservatives,radical Conservatives,I view them as silly and self deserving of each other.
I have fallen in love with a Conservative,multiple times,multiple Conservatives,multiple years ago,they can't help themselves,they are programmed,even thou I bad mouth them,I don't have too much ill emotion towards them,i would advise you also to laugh at them,and encourage them to flock together

Does the Wynne/Chiarelli version of terrorism fall into that category?
I am advising everyone to start a security company,the time is ripe.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
great day to be a Canadian, well, unless you're one of those staying away next time.

Buh-Bye

By lance on March 4, 2015 3:45 PM | No Comments

If you can't follow the rules of society, then society shouldn't have to live with you.
The legislation fits into the Harper government's tough-on-crime agenda and follows through on a promise made in the 2013 Speech from the Throne.​
Can you say 'wedge'?

Update: The announcement.

This will include a mandatory sentence of life without parole for first degree murders involving: sexual assault; kidnapping or forcible confinement; terrorism; the killing of police officers or corrections officers; or, any first degree murders that are found to be of a particularly brutal nature.

The Prime Minister also recently announced the Government's intention to introduce legislation that would end the practice of making early release available for repeat violent offenders.

Since we can't hang them this is second best. The main thing is to protect society.