SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
We ‘don’t have a clue’ what’s in omnibus bills, say MPs

By RACHEL AIELLO |
Published: Monday, 03/02/2015 12:00 am EST
Last Updated: Monday, 03/02/2015 10:29 am EST
The Conservative-dominated Parliament has passed at least 10 massive omnibus bills that have amended hundreds of Canadian laws since Prime Minister Stephen Harper won government in 2011. But opposition MPs say most of the bills have flown out the door without proper scrutiny, which violates the fundamental rule of Parliament, and they want this legislative procedure to end.
Since 2011, the Harper government’s 10 omnibus bills have amended hundreds of acts, most of which have passed into law.
In an interview with The Hill Times, NDP MP Peter Stoffer (Sackville-Eastern Shore, N.S.) said in his time in the House of Commons he has seen bills containing billions in spending receive little or no scrutiny, and some passed that nobody reads in their entirety. To say that Parliamentarians are being accountable to taxpayers “is a myth,” he said.
“We’re here [MPs] under false pretenses. We’re just filling up space because we’re not doing our job. And it bothers me—it doesn’t matter who the government is—it bothers me when you bring in a 458-page piece of legislation that nobody reads, contains billions of dollars of spending and we’re not holding anyone to account, or at least overseeing it. That is simply wrong,” he said.
On Feb. 19, Mr. Stoffer, a veteran NDP MP, introduced a private member’s bill that seeks to restrict the use of omnibus bills that try to amend multiple laws at one time if the changes aren’t related. For example, Bill C-51, the Anti-terrorism Act, 2015, proposes changes to many acts that deal with combatting terrorism, so it would still be permitted.
Mr. Stoffer’s one-paragraph bill, coined “Stop the Bus,” would prohibit the government from using the budget implementation bills to amend multiple acts outside of the financial measures. The latest budget bill, C-43, tabled last fall, brought in changes to over 20 non-budget-related acts, including the Patent Act, the Criminal Code and the Public Servants Disclosure Protection Act.
Mr. Stoffer’s bill wouldn’t apply to federal budgets if all of the implementation bill’s provisions “have a purpose that is primarily financial in nature.” It would amend the Parliament of Canada Act and apply to both the House and Senate.
Green Party Leader Elizabeth May (Saanich-Gulf Islands, B.C) agrees. She says she’s seen firsthand how parts of large bills can “fall through the stools.” During the committee study of the government’s first 2014 budget implementation bill, C-31, Ms. May put forward amendments on the portion of the bill dealing with changes to the Hazardous Products Act. She was told by Finance Committee members that they hadn’t had any testimony on that section and didn’t know anything about the changes, so her amendments were rejected.
She also pointed to an earlier budget implementation bill, C-38, which included amendments to eliminate the National Roundtable on the Environment and the Economy that weren’t studied by anyone. At the time, the Finance Committee had thought that portion of the bill had been carved off and given to the Environment Committee, but it wasn’t until the former chair of the committee, Liberal MP David McGuinty (Ottawa South, Ont.), came forward looking to appear as a witness that the slip-up was discovered.
“They do not even have cursory examinations of every section,” said Ms. May. “They don’t have a clue… It’s anti-democratic and it means that measures are taken that people don’t even know about.”
House Finance Committee chair James Rajotte (Edmonton-Leduc, Alta.) said he thinks the work his committee does is thorough and he’s always confident in his understanding of what he’s voting on. He argues that the budget bills the Conservatives introduce are still aligned with the intended meaning of omnibus legislation: “everything the government does is fiscally related because it is dependent on the government allocating resources to it,” he told The Hill Times.
Democracy Watch co-founder Duff Conacher said this justification was “simply not true.”
“Omnibus bills actually are in contempt of Parliament because they force Members of Parliament to vote on many unrelated matters at once. That violates the fundamental rule of Parliament having to give well-considered approval to any government proposal before the government can act,” he said.
Liberal democratic reform critic Scott Simms (Bonavista-Gander-Grand Falls-Windsor, Nfld.) echoed Ms. May and Mr. Stoffer’s sentiment. He said he, too, feels like he can’t do his job of holding the government to account by comprehensively studying all the measures he votes on.
NDP House Leader Peter Julian (Burnaby-New Westminster, B.C.) called the practice “designed to basically kidnap Parliament and subject it to Conservative partisan interests.”
However, Conservative MP Joyce Bateman (Winnipeg South Centre, Man.) said MPs can do the work required to comprehensively study a large bill, “if they care.”
“I just think it’s our responsibility to read what we’re voting on and approving. This is not a job that you punch-out,” she said. “You are working a lot of hours and doing a lot of reading.”
The use of omnibus legislation has “gone beyond its original use,” according to Keith Beardsley, a former deputy chief of staff for issues management to Prime Minister Harper (Calgary Southwest, Atla.) and now president of Cenco Public Affairs. He said the long-term impact is that it takes away MPs’ ability to influence public policy, and centralizes the power in each party leader’s office, particularly the PMO.
Louis Massicotte, a Laval University political science professor with a focus on Canadian policy and democracy, said Mr. Stoffer’s bill, although it’s not likely to pass, will attract public attention to a practice that doesn’t serve the public interest and is “clearly objectionable on non-partisan grounds.”
“Under the current administration, the use of this practice, this technique, has been markedly higher,” he said in an interview. “Budget implementation bills have grown massive in size. They deal with almost every subject on earth. Certainly we are seeing a runaway attitude and there should be a stop to this.”
According to the House of Commons Procedure and Practice, using omnibus bills as a legislative tool dates back to 1888, when a private member’s bill sought to confirm two railway agreements at once. A House discussion from 1953 proposing that all changes to the Armed Forces would be put into one bill every year described the idea as a “convenience.”
Today, the government says its use of omnibus bills is intended to move numerous legislative changes quickly through the Commons. When asked for comment on what the government sees as the purpose of such large bills, Government House Leader Peter Van Loan (York-Simcoe, Ont.) said the government’s objective “is to deliver results for the economy and that means getting bills passed.”
The Conservatives have faced heightened criticism over the practice since winning their majority in 2011. Opposition parties allege the government’s intent is to evade discussion on some changes. They point to Bill C-4, the 2013 budget implementation bill that sought to change the Supreme Court Act as the government was seeking to appoint Justice Marc Nadon to the Supreme Court of Canada, and 2012’s second budget bill, C-45, that included controversial changes to environmental assessments and natural resource project regulations. The Supreme Court struck down a provision in Bill C-4 that gave Cabinet powers limiting federal employees’ right to strike.
Mr. Rajotte said that he thinks Mr. Van Loan would be open to a discussion about dividing up some legislation if there were an agreement from the opposition that the House could run more like the British Parliament, where bills are studied and debated for a fraction of the time.
“There has to be certainty that we don’t have a trade agreement that we debate in the House of Commons for three years because one party doesn’t want to pass it,” he said.
As there is no indication the practice will stop any time soon, all three opposition parties have indicated they would consider repealing some of the measures that have been introduced under omnibus legislation if they were to form government.
raiello@hilltimes.com
The Hill Times

Omnibus Bills in 41st Parliament

Although there is no definition of “omnibus” in the Standing orders, the Parliamentary glossary states a bill can be considered omnibus if it consists of “a number of related but separate parts that seeks to amend and/or repeal one or several existing acts and/or to enact one or several new acts.” By this measure, there have been eight omnibus budget implementation bills in this Parliament, as well as an omnibus crime bill and the current Anti-Terrorism Act.
1st Session:

• C-3, the Supporting Vulnerable Seniors and Strengthening Canada’s Economy Act amended approximately 15 acts, including the Canada Shipping Act, 2001, the Auditor General Act, and the Canada Disability Savings Act.
  • C-10, the Safe Streets and Communities Act amended the Justice for Victims of Terrorism Act, the State Immunity Act, the Criminal Code, the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, the Corrections and Conditional Release Act, the Youth Criminal Justice Act, the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and others.
  • C-13, the Keeping Canada’s Economy and Jobs Growing Act amended approximately 21 acts, including the Canadian Human Rights Act, the Softwood Lumber Products Export Charge Act, 2006, and the Conflict of Interest Act.
  • C-38, the Jobs, Growth and Long-term Prosperity Act amended 70 different laws, among them the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, the First Nations Land Management Act, the Nuclear Safety and Controls Act, and the National Roundtable on the Environment and the Economy Act.
  • C-45, the Jobs and Growth Act, 2012, amended approximately 65 acts, including the Canada Labour Code, the Access to Information Act, the Railway Safety Act, and the Special retirement arrangements act.
  • C-60, the Economic Action Plan 2013 Act, No. 1 amended approximately 34 acts, including the Canadian Race Relations Foundation Act, the National Holocaust Monument Act, the Citizenship Act, and the War Veterans Allowance Act.
2nd Session:

• C-4, the Economic Action Plan 2013 Act No. 2 amended approximately 68 acts, including the Non-smokers Health Act, the Veterans Review and Appeal Board Act, and the Canadian Human Rights Act.
  • C-31, the Economic Action Plan 2014 Act, No. 1 amended approximately 63 acts, including the Hazardous Products Act, the Member of Parliament Retiring Allowances Act, the Museums Act, the Status of the Artist Act, and the Safe Food for Communities.
  • C-43, the Economic Action Plan 2014 Act, No. 2 amended approximately 55 acts, including the Patent Act, the Radiocommunication Act and the Canada-Chile Free trade Agreement and Implementation Act.
  • C-51, the Anti-Terrorism Act, 2015 amends the Security of Canada Information Sharing Act, the Secure Air Travel Act, the Criminal Code, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and makes related and consequential amendments to other Acts.
Source: Compiled with the assistance of the NDP OLO

We ‘don’t have a clue’ what’s in omnibus bills, say MPs | hilltimes.com

Omnibus legislation: Is the problem that MPs are not effectively doing their jobs and reading the proposals thoroughly in advance of voting or is there a legitimate criticism, or can there be, of circumventing real debate due to massive size?

(I know this may be hopeless wishing on my part, but please try to leave the 'con-bot/libtard' attitudes at the door and just answer the question please.)

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
So in other words the opposition is whining because they don't want to take the time to read through the omnibus bills...

What a load of crap. There are many laws that expire and need to be renewed or amended. If the MPs are too busy mugging for the cameras, get a staffer to go through them.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
So in other words the opposition is whining because they don't want to take the time to read through the omnibus bills...

What a load of crap. There are many laws that expire and need to be renewed or amended. If the MPs are too busy mugging for the cameras, get a staffer to go through them.

Good point, with any 'statement' made by a sitting MP one needs to take into account the political posturing involved. And yes, I agree, it is their job to read the damn things, big or small. That's why they're there.

That said though, I do sometimes wonder if big can be too big when it comes to these omnibus bills. Frankly I think there are some salient points made both pro and con, which is what grabbed my interest in the first place.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The government also tries to limit debate on these massive bills.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
That said though, I do sometimes wonder if big can be too big when it comes to these omnibus bills.

by the definition supplied in your linked article, bills within an umbrella "omnibus" grouping must have a relationship with each other... tell me, when you read through the high-level Session descriptions provided in your linked article, do you see that "relationship" within all, within most, within some, within few, within none..... of the omnibus bill title and its complement of amended bill title descriptions?

more pointedly, even if one were to ignore Harper Conservatives shutting down/limiting time for debate, even if one were to assume that Opposition parties have the resources and abilities to flush out all concerns across the "omnibus" makeup, one of the principal reasons for utilizing the omnibus is to present a purposeful quandary for the Opposition parties... as it may oblige them to object to the greater bill in spite of some desired/popular measures elsewhere. Notwithstanding the fact a complete bill goes to one committee level only... does the, for example, "Standing Committee on Finance" have the makeup to properly assess matters dealing with Energy, Fisheries, Environment, Health, etc., particularly when Opposition critics specializing in those portfolios are already assigned and working within other committees. Omnibus is a purposeful dodge play end-around move.

and... it was Stephen Harper, in his former Opposition leader role, that spoke of omnibus bills as being undemocratic... "a contradiction to the conventions and practices of the House". The Stephen Harper of today... uhhhh, not so much!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The government also tries to limit debate on these massive bills.

The government, any government, wants to get their legislation passed, period. And depending upon the size of omnibus bills, they can themselves become self-limiting as far as debate goes, regardless of any kind of intervention. But on the other side of things, crawling through the minutiae of every single little bill can be detrimental as well when it comes to having to debate it. There are pros and cons.

In my line of work, we strive for as complete accuracy as possible within the constraints of maintaining efficiency. That's the balance and it's a challenge at times. I sort of view this in a similar light.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
That said though, I do sometimes wonder if big can be too big when it comes to these omnibus bills. Frankly I think there are some salient points made both pro and con, which is what grabbed my interest in the first place.

Maybe I'm just a hard@$$ about it but I still think that's the job the MPs signed on for. They go through the budget each year, which is often described as being several hundred pages, at the minimum, so I don't understand why some comprehensive legislation should be so hard to tackle as well. And when you are a shadow cabinet minister with a staff (admittedly smaller than the gov't but still there), that should be something you wade into. Divide a 500 page bill between 4 people and its only 125 pages each to go through and get a basic understanding. Then meet up and discuss the salient points, and re-read what you don't like/object to.

I mean the MP in the OP-article is an NDPer: its not like he's an independent, sitting by himself.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
Maybe I'm just a hard@$$ about it but I still think that's the job the MPs signed on for.

how naive! Harper Conservative omnibus bills C-38 and C-45... amended 133 unrelated laws. And you would approve of that... cause the Opposition "should be doing their jobs"?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Maybe I'm just a hard@$$ about it but I still think that's the job the MPs signed on for. They go through the budget each year, which is often described as being several hundred pages, at the minimum, so I don't understand why some comprehensive legislation should be so hard to tackle as well. And when you are a shadow cabinet minister with a staff (admittedly smaller than the gov't but still there), that should be something you wade into. Divide a 500 page bill between 4 people and its only 125 pages each to go through and get a basic understanding. Then meet up and discuss the salient points, and re-read what you don't like/object to.

I mean the MP in the OP-article is an NDPer: its not like he's an independent, sitting by himself.

Fair enough, can't disagree with anything you've said.

So then what? Everything has been read and something or somethings are tacked on, for example, which are highly objectionable and there are aspects of the legislation that are found to be very much necessary. One cannot be stopped without squashing the other. The way I see it is that questionable and controversial legislation can, at least in theory, hold hostage very necessary and very important legislation. As I mentioned earlier, my line work strives to balance accuracy and efficiency, and there are well defined practices and procedures in place to achieve that. What I'm not seeing here, and I'm still not saying I'm against omnibus legislation per se, but what I'm not seeing is where there is anything in place to stop things from going too far.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
What I'm not seeing here, and I'm still not saying I'm against omnibus legislation per se, but what I'm not seeing is where there is anything in place to stop things from going too far.

would this be an example of purposeful Harper Conservative "going too far"... the following within a "Budget Implementation Act" omnibus bill:
— Increases the age of eligibility for Old Age Security to 67 from 65, starting gradually in 2023.
— Removes the oversight office of the inspector general at the Canadian Security Intelligence Service.
— Repeals the Kyoto Protocol Implementation Act.
— Repeals the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act and introduces an entirely new one, setting retroactive timelines for environmental assessments and permitting Ottawa to delegate assessments to provinces.
— Gives cabinet power to over-ride the National Energy Board on decisions regarding pipeline approvals, order alternative environmental assessment processes.
— Changes Navigable Waters Protection Act to permit pipelines and hydro lines to be governed by the National Energy Board.
— Changes Fisheries Act to apply only to major waterways, and to prohibit “serious harm” to a commercial, recreational or aboriginal fishery, while granting cabinet power to exempt fisheries from these categories; removes protection of fish habitat.
— Changes Species at Risk Act to remove pipeline permits under the National Energy Board from having to fully comply, and allows long-term exemption permits (as opposed to current five-year, renewable exemptions).
— Amends the Coasting Trade Act to permit more seismic testing off-shore.
— Amends the Parks Canada Agency Act to remove requirement for annual plans, reports and audits.
— Shuts down the National Round Table on the Environment and the Economy.
— Shuts down the International Centre for Human Rights and Democratic Development.
— Shuts down the National Council of Welfare.
— Shuts down the Public Appointments Commission.
— Shuts down Assisted Human Reproduction Canada.
— Shuts down the First Nations Statistical Institute.
— Shuts down the Canadian Artists and Producers Professional Relations Tribunal.
— Amends the Employment Insurance Act, including changes to benefit calculations, setting rates, and new powers to regulate the definition of suitable employment for claimants.
— Repeals part of the Employment Equity Act to exempt some federal contractors.
— Repeals the Fair Wages and Hours of Labour Act.
— Puts all appeals for Canada Pension Plan, EI, OAS and other benefits programs under a single new entity called the Social Security Tribunal.
— Amends the Federal-Provincial Fiscal Arrangements Act to reflect the Conservative government’s new formula for health care transfers.
— Expands list of services and goods without sales tax, including dentures, hearing aids and some prescription drugs.
— Increases value of goods that Canadians can buy duty-free in the United States.
— Changes the rules for political advocacy by charities and gives the Canada Revenue Agency increased resources to audit them; gives the minister the power to suspend privileges for issuing tax receipts.
— Changes the Immigration and Refugee Act to eliminate and refund about 100,000 skilled worker applications that pre-date Feb. 27, 2008; gives the minister more power to issue instructions; allows new regulations to be applied retroactively; speeds up hiring of temporary foreign workers.
— Puts into law the 2009 Framework Agreement on Integrated Cross-Border Law Enforcement Operations with the U.S., permitting American authorities to make arrests on Canadian soil.
— Amends the Telecommunications Act to ease restrictions on foreign ownership and allows the CRTC to impose levies on telemarketers to pay for “do not call” enforcement.
— Amends law so pennies remain legal tender after the Mint stops producing them.
— Phases out issuance of plastic cards with Social Insurance Numbers.
— Makes the salary of the Governor General taxable, and effectively doubles the salary to account for tax hit.
— Increases government oversight and control of the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation.
— Changes rules to allow temporary members of the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission to sit for three years, up from six months.
— Changes the Food and Drugs Act to give the minister the power to exempt a food from marketing rules.
— Removes the distribution requirements for the Canada Gazette.
— Amends the Health of Animals Act to give the minister power to declare areas “control zones” and prohibit movement of persons, animals or things to control disease outbreaks.

for all those upcoming knee-jerk reactionary "but the Libs, but the Libs" types, my read of omnibus history suggests Harper Conservatives have taken the purposeful misuse of omnibus to a whole new level. ~10 years in government and Harper Conservative supporters continue to accept no accountability! "But the Libs, But the Libs" :mrgreen: