Trudeau’s inevitability slipped 15 points, and that’s a lot

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
By WARREN KINSELLA

TORONTO—You’re the incumbent, you’re smart, you’ve got plenty of experience, but you can’t get ahead in the polls. So what do you do?

You call for a series of leaders’ debates, that’s what you do.

Stephen Harper, however much he disdains the mainstream media, knows one media truism to be irrefutable: politicians are rarely felled by a single news story. If that were not so, Harper would have been long ago dispatched by robocalls, or Afghan detainees, or In-and-Out, or prorogation, or Senators Duffy, Wallin and Brazeau.

But that hasn’t happened. The reason: nowadays, citizens pay less and less attention to the news media. They’re busy. They’re distracted. They’re suspicious of big news organizations, often seeing them as just another corporate special interest group.

Harper, being clever, knows this. He knows, therefore, that what matters isn’t a single story. What matters is a whole series of related stories, over a long period of time, incrementally chipping away at a politician’s reputation.

Case in point: Harper’s principal opponent, Justin Trudeau.

Abacus Data released an important poll a few days ago, and you can bet Stephen Harper clipped it out of the paper to keep in his wallet for use with caucus Nervous Nellies. Most of us focused on the tail end of the poll, which showed an equal number of Canadians predicting a Conservative or Liberal election victory. Ipsos came out with a horse race poll a few days later, showing sort of the same thing: the Grits and the Tories were tied in support.

But that was the tail. The head of Abacus’ poll showed something else entirely. It showed that, between last August and now, Justin Trudeau’s inevitability had slipped 15 percentage points. That is, a lot fewer folks expected him to win, now.

Fifteen points.

That’s a lot. The last time that number happened to the Liberal Party of Canada, in fact, was a decade ago. Remember? Paul Martin commenced his “Mad As Hell” tour, and persuaded millions of Canadians to get mad as hell, too—at him. He promptly dropped 15 points and never recovered.

more

Trudeau’s inevitability slipped 15 points, and that’s a lot | hilltimes.com

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Depends on the road ahead, Justin and I don't know if I would vote for him will go
up and down in popularity the same for the other leaders we are getting close to an
election this is to be expected. Before this thing is over it will be a nail biter for
sure. Not just for Justin either. Harper has his own problems and no one knows
what the NDP actually has in store they will be fighting for second regardless of who
wins. It is a possibility the Liberals could win with a vote split that makes the Tories
the odd man out this time and if that happens Tories could be third there is no Bloc
and that leave Quebec open, in the past the Liberals lost favor Federally and the
Tories have little political real estate there Should the NDP hang on to a number of
Ridings and they might the whole seat picture might not come close to balancing the
popular vote. This election will be about Ontario and Quebec and Harper has some
trouble in both.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
For Homecoming King at his local high school?

Perhaps.

To lead the country?

Only if someone hits me in the head with a brick.....really, really hard.
And ruin the shining symmetry of that magnificent dome? Say it ain't so, Joe! That would be like blowing up the Parthenon!

Wait. . .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I've said this before and I'll say it again; Manitoba is going to seal tthe deal for another round of Harper as PM.