Lethbridge mayor apologizes for 'hockey better than women' T-shirt

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Lethbridge mayor apologizes for 'hockey better than women' T-shirt
By Laura Booth, Calgary Sun First posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 03:24 PM EST | Updated: Saturday, February 28, 2015 11:34 AM EST
Lethbridge Mayor Chris Spearman has come under fire for posting a picture on his personal Facebook of a T-shirt many Tweeters have ruled to be offensive.
Friday, he posted a shot of a T-shirt, which he said was hanging in a store window along a main street in Banff.
The T-shirt claims to list the top 10 reasons hockey is better than women.
“I did see that T-shirt in the window in the shop on main street and I took a picture of the T-shirt,” he said.
“It went from my personal Facebook page out into Twitter — I’m not sure how that happened.”
Spearman, who has been mayor since Nov. 2013, removed the picture soon after he began to receive complaints.
He also tweeted numerous apologies.
“I saw it as an attempt at humour, but in reflection, it’s in poor taste,” he said.
“I’d just like to apologize — I made a mistake and I’ll be more careful in the future as to what I put even on my personal accounts on social media.”
Spearman was in Banff Wednesday through to Friday at a conference on recycling.
laura.booth@sunmedia.ca
On Twitter: @SUNLauraBooth
Lethbridge mayor Chris Spearman. (Photo taken from the City of Lethbridge website)

Lethbridge mayor apologizes for 'hockey better than women' T-shirt | Canada | Ne