BC Liberal minister caught in $70,000 conflict of interest over guide hunting

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
When Bill Bennett entered politics, he portrayed himself as “the voice of the hunter” in the B.C. Legislature.

But after 14 years, Mr. Bennett – now the province’s powerful Mines Minister – finds himself in conflict with hunters, and facing scrutiny over his ties to Height of the Rockies Adventure Co. Ltd., a guide outfitting operation that owes him $70,000 for a shareholder loan.

A long-simmering feud between British Columbia’s 97,000 resident hunters and 245 professional guide outfitters who cater to wealthy foreign clients exploded in December, when the government introduced changes that reallocated the share of wildlife, giving an increased share to guides.

Some of the changes could potentially raise the market value of guide-outfitting operations – among other things, by increasing wildlife allocations (letting guides sell more hunting trips) and by allowing corporations, not just individuals, to buy guiding territories.

Regulations were also changed to eliminate penalties if guides exceed their yearly game quotas and to allow guide outfitters to extend the length of their tenures.

One of Mr. Bennett’s cabinet colleagues, Forests Minister Steve Thomson, acknowledged in an interview that Mr. Bennett injected himself into the debate, saying “he has a strong interest in the file.”

And in a leaked e-mail released by the NDP, Mr. Bennett himself wrote that he has “been intimately involved in the allocation file.”

more

B.C. Mines Minister faces scrutiny over ties to guide-outfitting operation - The Globe and Mail

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Tourismis all BC has left. Hunting is big bucks (pun intended). There are no other Crown assets left other than beasts and a few fish.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Lots of assets. Just too many loonie lefties that don't want any economic activity.

I nearly pissed myself laughing when Cliff posted a picture of treehuggers but he had no clue they were hugging farm trees perfectly spaced, in rows and ready for harvest.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
There are a few thousand sq. miles of trees in BC that could use a little lovin. But does anyone ever hug them? Oh no they got to hug the ones with some commercial value.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Bill Bennett? Any relation to the other Social Credit Bill Bennett?
No none.

And I don't really see where the conflict of interest is here.

I could see a potential for conflict but they are such a sh!tty bunch of businessmen they blew the whole lodge operation-what a pack of hillbilly idiots.

OTOH that is SOP in the tourism business in BC-ever tried getting a cab in Prince Rupert or a hotel tour pickup in the OK Valley?