Petition: Stop the CBC Budget Cuts

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Petition: Stop the CBC Budget Cuts

Stop the Harper Conservative CBC Budget Cuts! - Liberal.ca

As our Conservative government prepares to leave office they are starting to get rid of important departments and agencies.

One crown corporation they want to get rid of is The CBC our public broadcaster. CBC is the only broadcaster that protects our Canadian identity. The rest of the private Canadian broadcasters are American clones.

Our government spent an embarrassingly small amount of money on the 50th anniversary of our flag and had no special ceremony on Parliament Hill.

If you want to show your Canadian patriotism then consider deeply and sign the petition to save the CBC.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The government should not be cutting the CBCs budget. They should be selling it or shutting it down.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Then invest in it. Here in Alberta we have CKUA which was a public broadcaster. The government quit funding it and it continued with donations. It's a great station that enough people want. There's no reason the CBC can't do the same

CKUA Radio Network - Original RadioCKUA Radio Network
CKUA started as a high school station back in the 70s and it's a radio station I think all the university radio stations in Canada run like that. CBC is a big TV and has a lot of radio stations and it's national and it has local programs as well worth the taxpayer investments

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Not a CBC fan...........

But not a fan of regurgitated US pulp either.

Just don't take away the CFL or Hockey night in Canada.

Kill Don Cherry if you like.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
cannuck is right.

our moral and intellectual superiors, master debaters, art hounds and root-cause vigilantes should not be funded by the public purse.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
How pathetic is it that you need someone from the gubmint to tell you what your "identity" is.
Walter embrace the Canadian flag and then you will know the importance of taxpayer money supporting the Canadian identity

cannuck is right.

our moral and intellectual superiors, master debaters, art hounds and root-cause vigilantes should not be funded by the public purse.
Prodecting the Canadian way of life with taxpayer money is worth it

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Nothing the CBC does supports my identity. I haven't watched the CBC for decades.

Last edited:

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The shows I religiously listened to on CBC radio were Eclectic Circus with Allan McFee (last show 1985), Gilmour's Albums (last show 1997) and Choral Concert with Howard Dyck (last show 2008). Nothing worth listening to now on CBC radio.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Do they even have a 'comments' section? If I could capture a 10sec spot of one of their articles then I could do a pointed reply that should get a reply from the reporter or followed up by the reported in a follow up. I could handle that better than the 'read and weep or whatever because nobody is listening.'
Something like the Front Page Challenge of the 21st Century. If the first 4 have sodes have lots of comments and and the next 4 have none then I expect there was a hidden agenda with 'phase I'.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The shows I religiously listened to on CBC radio were Eclectic Circus with Allan McFee (last show 1985), Gilmour's Albums (last show 1997) and Choral Concert with Howard Dyck (last show 2008). Nothing worth listening to now on CBC radio.
You ever listen to CBC North, the messages were 'varied' and 'interesting'. I can't remember how good the news was.
Perhaps you need your own radio station (UHF) so you can chat directly to people around the globe. (or listen in to emergency services in any country you dial up) 30' heavy copper wire is the antenna you must have.

Then it should be private investment not taxpayer. If you enjoy it, you fund it.
The public service part wasn't all that expensive, as a public utility it justified spending $1M so 100 people could hear the station. If you were in that last 10% you would see it as a good investment, as it is as long as you got what is was good for then that is as far as the public funding should have gone. (as you were a donator)