Ontario police to question Wynne for probe into alleged bribery scandal

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Ontario Provincial Police will question Premier Kathleen Wynne as part of the criminal investigation into bribery allegations against one of her top aides.

The extraordinary move – a police interview of a sitting premier – comes days after officers accused Ms. Wynne’s deputy chief of staff, Patricia Sorbara, of breaking anti-corruption laws by offering a former Liberal candidate a government job in exchange for dropping out of the Sudbury by-election race.

The Premier’s office said Monday Ms. Wynne and Ms. Sorbara will meet with OPP investigators. No date for the meeting has been set.

“Our views on this matter are well known, any suggestion that anything was offered in exchange for any action is false,” spokeswoman Zita Astravas said in a statement. “We’ve been clear that the authorities have our full co-operation, and we are confident that after Premier Wynne and Pat Sorbara meet with the investigators, they will reach the same conclusion.”

The case has shed light on the oft-murky realm of political patronage. It is a practice tacitly accepted by many politicians but whose mechanics rarely come to light, and police say they may have crossed the line into criminality in this case.

No charges have been laid and the allegations have not been tested in court.

The trouble began last December. Andrew Olivier, a Sudbury mortgage agent who had run for the Liberals in the June provincial election, entered the race for the party’s nomination for the upcoming by-election. But the Liberals had recruited Glenn Thibeault, then a federal NDP MP, to switch parties and run for them.

Both Ms. Sorbara and Gerry Lougheed, a Sudbury businessman and Liberal fundraiser, tried to convince Mr. Olivier to give up his bid so Mr. Thibeault could take the nomination unopposed. In those conversations, which Mr. Olivier recorded and later posted on Facebook, Ms. Sorbara and Mr. Lougheed discussed government jobs Mr. Olivier could have as they tried to persuade him to drop out of the race.

Mr. Lougheed referred to Mr. Olivier receiving a “reward” for quitting the election; Ms. Sorbara asked Mr. Olivier if he would be interested in work as a constituency assistant, or an appointment to a commission studying disability issues.

A court document filed by police says they believe Ms. Sorbara and Mr. Lougheed broke Section 125 of the Criminal Code, which prohibits “negotiating appointments” in exchange for political favours. It carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison.

The document, called an information to obtain, was filed to get a production order for the originals of Mr. Olivier’s recordings.

Mr. Thibeault won the by-election last Thursday for the Liberals, placing more than 1,000 votes ahead of NDP candidate Suzanne Shawbonquit. Mr. Olivier, who ran as an independent, finished a distant third.

Ms. Wynne is listed as being on holiday until next Tuesday, when the legislature resumes; her itinerary records no public appearances until then.

Deputy Premier Deb Matthews on Monday said voters had already rendered their verdict on the scandal.

“I think the people of Sudbury had the opportunity to make a decision and they did,” she told reporters following a speech in Toronto. “I think we have to respect the will of the people of Sudbury.”

Ms. Matthews said she had read about what Ms. Sorbara had said in the tapes and was “convinced” that “there wasn’t a clear exchange offered.”

“We take it very seriously and we’re co-operating fully,” she said.

Detective Superintendent Dave Truax, director of the OPP’s criminal investigation service, declined to discuss the planned interview with Ms. Wynne. “As this matter is ongoing, the OPP will not comment further as to whom has been (or not been) interviewed in order to protect the integrity of the investigation,” he wrote in an e-mail.

Mr. Lougheed did not respond to a request for comment. Ms. Sorbara forwarded The Globe and Mail’s request to Ms. Astravas.

The Sudbury by-election was triggered when New Democrat Joe Cimino resigned five months into his term, citing family and health reasons.

Ontario police to question Wynne for probe into alleged bribery scandal - The Globe and Mail

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Flossy wanted to wait until the audio on the tapes was available on the net... Then, and only then would he forward the OP.

... You know what a stickler for truth and factual presentations he is

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Orville Redenbacher's twin sister is a Liberal therefore she is innocent.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
I have no doubt,Ms. Wynne will do all the right things,I do not view her as an effective liar, or deceiver,I view Ms. Wynne as straight player ,(no pun intended) I believe or make believe Ms.Wynne is a Canadian politician who is full of integrity, and continous to example abilities to take care of business,I think she is great,
this of course is what I have seen then again I remind myself,what do I know,ignorant,isolated, and wayward in my romanticideal Liberal thinking .
This whole love affair with Ms. Wynne comes to some insightful realizations,personal developments,I am beginning to believe that holding politicians to lofty standards is important for my "peace of mind",so I am running with this great thought,I know little about Ms. Wynne,but I think she is great!
Who are we kidding when it comes to Canadian Politicians and bad behaviour?,I don't even know any more what or how bad behaviour is defined in the world of politics. The "whiskey and water"syndromeis is well known in politics,you know the game,"the game of favors",may these favors be motivated by money exchanges,unlimited opportunities, limited access,the rules are clearly evident for the engagers,everyone wants a piece of the pie.Within my information auditing ability, believe foul behaviour is held to high standards in politics,the whole structure and design of opportunities within politics is made through avenues of loyality,particularly political ideologies.Canadians have come to believe and expect dirty deeds of their polticians and associates,access and favor exchange begins in the area loyality to party doctrine.

Once again resources of law enforcement are investigating political corruption of sorts,(or the headline would indicate same)we know how the investigation is going to end,my only wish is law enforcement save us all kinds of money by not conducting investigations into bad behaviour,this is because we as Canadians know how the investigation will end,"no wrong doing",this is of course after an investigation lasts 2 years and noone cares anymore about that old scandal because to be certain there will be a newer political scandal making the news and taking up time of our law enforcement teams.
I asked for a release on financial expense to Canadians on what all this resource use of law enforcement to investigate these forever growing poltical scandals,particularly those investigations which last years,once again knowing what all these investigations is costing Canadians is a secret.
I believe Ms. Wynne is more then honest,I never read an ounce of the article,so don't write me nasty notes

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Orville Redenbacher's twin sister is a Liberal therefore she is innocent.

Now that was funny.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I have little faith these bums will be held accountable, but I agree with you lone wolf. The Hydro thing, especially the erasing of hard drives was nothing less than criminal activity.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
so what if Hydro companies are participating in criminal activity,I am sure they would like or continue to have a piece of the pie,organized crime should not be limited to "bikers",everyone should have opportunity for organized crime,fair is fair!

I am an equal opportunity person.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
so what if Hydro companies are participating in criminal activity,I am sure they would like or continue to have a piece of the pie,organized crime should not be limited to "bikers",everyone should have opportunity for organized crime,fair is fair!

I am an equal opportunity person.

Maybe you should go back and read the thread again.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Because the police ask questions does not make her guilty of anything
It means she answered questions that is all