New study – govt workers make 6.7% more than private sector workers

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The Fraser Institute is out with a new study that says government employees in BC were paid 6.7% more than their private-sector counterparts in 2013.

If the private-sector workers are in a union, the government employees made 3.6% more.

The study used Labour Force data from Statistics Canada and covered federal, provincial and municipal workers.

The study also found that when it comes to non-wage benefits such as pension, early retirement, job security, and absence rates, government employees did much better than those in the private sector.

Click here to view the full study

New study - govt workers make 6.7% more than private sector workers | (CHMJ AM) AM730 Vancouver's Traffic station

Government employees in B.C. paid 6.7 per cent more than comparable private-sector workers | Fraser Institute

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The shocking number to me is that almost half of private sector employees have defined benefit pensions. The rest isn't really news, but I would never have guessed defined benefits to be that high among private sector employees. Good for them!

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
From teh BC government website for recently graduated engineers and geoscientists:

You will be a regular, full-time employee and member of Professional Employees Association and will start with a salary of $46,719.15, plus 7% compensation for overtime available as pay or time off in lieu.

Average salary for a graduating mining engineer in Vancouver: 70K. Yup.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The shocking number to me is that almost half of private sector employees have defined benefit pensions. The rest isn't really news, but I would never have guessed defined benefits to be that high among private sector employees. Good for them!

Even with all those hard earned tax dollars taken from those poor, poor souls in the private sector that is thrown into a gubmint money pit so large it would make Scrooge McDuck envious.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
And the putz keeps saying he would make more money in the private sector.:roll:

If making money was about skills and knowledge the Putz wouldn't be making any money. :) Poor, poor Putz!

From teh BC government website for recently graduated engineers and geoscientists:

You will be a regular, full-time employee and member of Professional Employees Association and will start with a salary of $46,719.15, plus 7% compensation for overtime available as pay or time off in lieu.

Average salary for a graduating mining engineer in Vancouver: 70K. Yup.

Is that a lot for 7 years of university?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The Fraser Institute is out with a new study that says government employees in BC were paid 6.7% more than their private-sector counterparts in 2013.

If the private-sector workers are in a union, the government employees made 3.6% more.

The study used Labour Force data from Statistics Canada and covered federal, provincial and municipal workers.

The study also found that when it comes to non-wage benefits such as pension, early retirement, job security, and absence rates, government employees did much better than those in the private sector.

Click here to view the full study

New study - govt workers make 6.7% more than private sector workers | (CHMJ AM) AM730 Vancouver's Traffic station

Government employees in B.C. paid 6.7 per cent more than comparable private-sector workers | Fraser Institute

I don't think the amount Public sector workers are paid, is the problem, so much as what percentage of them are useful. Identiful the bureaucraps and weed out half of them, then we'd be getting somewhere!

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The release today of the Fraser Institute’s latest attack on wages and benefits for working people shows how out of touch with economic reality the right-wing organization is, says CUPE BC.

“The Fraser Institute’s own research shows that the so-called ‘premium’ for public sector workers is nowhere near the magnitude they’ve been claiming for the past two years,” said CUPE BC Secretary-Treasurer Paul Faoro. “In 2013, they claimed there was a 37.5 per cent premium, and today they’ve admitted that number is actually 90 per cent lower—though you won’t find that in their news release.

“But facts have never stood in the Fraser Institute’s way,” said Faoro. “Not only do they not acknowledge how shoddy and flawed their previous study was, they still use their findings to bash wages and benefits for working people, and to advocate for even less retirement security for all workers.”

Having found the wage “premium” is a full 90 percent lower than previously claimed, this year’s report targets pensions in particular. The Fraser Institute fails to mention that public employees pay for their pensions either directly through payroll deductions or by deferring current wages.

“No serious economist would give this ‘study’ any credence at all,” said Faoro. “The reality is, we should be doing all we can to ensure that all working people earn a living wage and can retire in dignity. The Fraser Institute is opposed to that, and this report is yet another example of its ‘greed is good’ vision.”

The Fraser Institute study says that public sector workers earn a “premium” compared to their private sector counterparts, but provides no examples, and their study does not look at wages for visible minorities and people of aboriginal status. Other studies have shown a significant improvement in pay for workers of colour and aboriginal workers in the public sector.

Funded in part by the right-wing American Koch Brothers, who also helped found and fund the U.S. Tea Party, the Fraser Institute has long advocated for lower wages and reduced benefits for working people.

“The Fraser Institute’s vision for BC’s economy is bizarre,” said Faoro. “They want all workers to earn less, work more, and retire in poverty. That’s not even good for the super-wealthy backers the Fraser Institute represents, but their ideology blinds them to reality.”

Fraser Institute gets it wrong—again | Canadian Union of Public Employees

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Thank goodness that Paul Faoro, CUPE BC Secretary-Treasurer, is an expert economist... What he says must be true

:lol::lol::lol:.........good'un Capt.

Thanks Nuggs... I aims ta please

Like we're paying less for beer when they privatize the beer store

We're seeing a big difference between the cost of booze in AB (privatized) and in the BC run stores... PST accounts for a portion, but the base price of booze on the shelf a way higher in BC.

Anywho, just an observation

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:dontknow:
Thank goodness that Paul Faoro, CUPE BC Secretary-Treasurer, is an expert economist... What he says must be true

Thanks Nuggs... I aims ta please

We're seeing a big difference between the cost of booze in AB (privatized) and in the BC run stores... PST accounts for a portion, but the base price of booze on the shelf a way higher in BC.

Anywho, just an observation

No problem Capt. I aims ta give chuckles.

Maybe check out the difference between AB booze and Ont. Methinks Ont. a tad cheaper. Still the same shyte, but a tad cheaper.

I told me wife I was gonna start brewing me own, and then, sort of ration it out at a six pack a week. Sure, she says; say dear did you notice the high cost of divorce these days.

So, it's back to the beer store..................:dontknow: