Now Alberta is proposing a tax

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
A TAX you say?

*gulp*

Alberta premier Prentice considers sales tax to fix ailing, oil-based economy

EDMONTON – Alberta’s prideful boast of being the only jurisdiction in Canada without a provincial sales tax may soon be history.

Premier Jim Prentice, after declaring for weeks that a sales tax was off the table, conceded Tuesday that it’s up for discussion as low oil prices continue to bleed billions of dollars from the treasury.

“I don’t think Albertans generally advocate a sales tax, but I’m prepared to be educated and to hear from people,” Prentice told a downtown lunchtime audience.

He told reporters later that a sales tax is not his preferred choice either.

Alberta premier Prentice considers sales tax to fix ailing, oil-based economy | Globalnews.ca

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I can hardly wait, really, being from AB I can hardly wait to donate my pension check to 'the cause'. The Rez still tax free, easy to turn a German into a long lost Cree these days. Must have been some really bad Pow-Wow Water, bottled and sold locally, imported leaf from 'never mind industries and pharma'

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
You know, I'm going to be honest. A tax in Alberta may be the best idea ever. It will help you control that crazy inflation you guys are suffering from. Taxes do have some positive impact.

Like inflation control for example.

A tax could even help smooth out the boom or bust roll-a-coaster ride you guys keep getting.

To much of anything is just as worst as not enough.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
You know, I'm going to be honest. A tax in Alberta may be the best idea ever. It will help you control that crazy inflation you guys are suffering from. Taxes do have some positive impact.

Like inflation control for example.

A tax could even help smooth out the boom or bust roll-a-coaster ride you guys keep getting.

To much of anything is just as worst as not enough.

All they have to do is have everyone pay for their health care again.

At one time, we used to pay a monthly premium, and get a check at the year end based on the extra income the province generated..

Just have everyone pay for their health care again, problem solved.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
All they have to do is have everyone pay for their health care again.

At one time, we used to pay a monthly premium, and get a check at the year end based on the extra income the province generated..

Just have everyone pay for their health care again, problem solved.

I think you missed the point, but you are kind of getting warmer :)